Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Playerworld Previews

It's been brought to the Playerworld Administration's attention that Under Construction servers are struggling to find quality developers. The biggest cause of this problem is the fact that their servers are 'unseen', and nobody is dropping by to see if their interests are piqued as they're not even aware of the server existing.

To this problem, we have devised a 'shot in the arm' for UC servers that have a decent amount of the foundations in place, but don't have the power to push it along without a little help from some quality, reliable developers. For a period of approximately 30 days, these selected UC servers will be placed on the Hosted list under what will be known as Preview status. What this means is that in the Server Lister, each selected server will carry the categorical word Preview with them for the entire 30 days. One or two servers will be selected at a time for this status.

The most obvious difference between a Preview server and a Hosted server is mainly going to be the fact that the Preview servers will likely be much less developed than a Hosted server, and are specially targeted at the development community. What this hopes to achieve is for some quality developers with a little extra time on their hands to notice these hidden servers, and to possibly find one (or more) of the Preview servers interesting enough, as well as worth their time and skills, to lend a hand to.
We also hope to see more servers applying to be Hosted, and this will hopefully give a few servers the help they need to see that start happening.

Note: It must be noted that this is not a "I bought a new server, I need staff, I'll apply" scenario. This will only be offered to servers that have a solid direction, have the foundations at their fingertips, and just need help to execute it all. To put it another way- new, incoming staff members should have almost everything at their disposal already (Eg: LAT's should have an already created tileset to work with), and should know exactly what they're doing once they're doing it without having to ask clarification all the time.

APPLYING
If you believe your server has a solid sense of direction, is lacking productivity in development, and you are looking to hire (more) staff to get things back off the ground, then you're exactly who we're looking for and we would like to place your server under Preview status.

Contact the PWA through support at http://support.graalonline.com, Department
Playerworlds - Classic/Hosted Tab Inspection, Subject Preview Inspection and let us know why you believe your server needs a bit of help. Or through Global Link on the forums. You should include absolutely everything you're advertising such as positions available, the theme and direction your server is taking, and so on.
This information is needed as there will be a news release prior to your arrival on Hosted.

You will be notified through support as to what date your server will go on tab a week or two in advance.

-------
Why should non-developmental entities care?
With the increase in development on these servers, some may actually end up on the Hosted list further down the track so for the average player, this provides the opportunity to preview some of the servers making headway behind the scenes that could fast end up becoming one of your favourite servers.

On this note we have decided to use xXziroXx's server Maloria to show you an example of what you can expect with this program.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
On this note we have decided to use xXziroXx's server Maloria to show you an example of what you can expect with this program.
I log on, observer mode. Tileset is a bit funny, reconnect? Ok!
I log on, observer mode. Wait it out, oh look it reconnected me.
I log on, observer mode. Wait it out, select my class/nation/item. Oh look it reconnected me.
I log on, observer mode. Wait it out, finally logged in!

Ugh, gotta love observer mode!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
This is a nice idea

Although I've not paid too much attention these past years:
1) Why are there no other servers on the hosted list?
2) What is observer mode?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark910 View Post
They took ghost mode, baked it at 350 for 30 minutes and got Gaming Hell.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark910 View Post
Trial accounts all have a limited amount of time to run around and play before they enter observer mode. They have to wait a little bit before they are allowed back on. Classic accounts on dev servers will be treated as trial accounts.

Sure makes me want to develop!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Jimbo33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo33 Send a message via MSN to Jimbo33
When is this gonna happen? I would like to apply but I don't have enough content yet, but I have a solid built and I know my server could make it big, but just not NOW.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
I log on, observer mode. Tileset is a bit funny, reconnect? Ok!
I log on, observer mode. Wait it out, oh look it reconnected me.
I log on, observer mode. Wait it out, select my class/nation/item. Oh look it reconnected me.
I log on, observer mode. Wait it out, finally logged in!

Ugh, gotta love observer mode!
I know I feel the same way, I was just tired of waiting and doing nothing that I decided to just log off.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Whats the point of this if Classic Accounts can't help.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
This^.

Doesn't exactly seem like a shot in the arm so much as does a punch in the face to classic accounts.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a great idea!! I really appreciate that Bell is trying to help the Graal Community, constantly comming up with new ideas :]

Why not make the text in bold?
Like:
Preview : Maloria and a diffrent icon?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Why exactly is it named "Preview: xxxx"? It would look so much better if you made another "tab".
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima View Post
This is a great idea!! I really appreciate that Bell is trying to help the Graal Community, constantly comming up with new ideas :]
I agree Bell is being an awesome PWA, infact the others seem to be quite quiet lately. Now its in the hands of Stefan, he needs to decide whether or not to drop observer mode and do it correctly.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Why exactly is it named "Preview: xxxx"? It would look so much better if you made another "tab".
I think you already know the reason behind this. There is no such thing as a "Preview" tab, and how long would we have to wait before such a thing could be arranged, keeping in mind that when we change a server from one medium to another, it is all in a server name change?

EG: When we change the name of a UC server, we have to make sure the new name we enter is preceded by the letter U, such as U Era Dev. People will only see Era Dev, but the U holds significance.

So then you'd have to wait for say Stefan to alter the global command, the Login stuff and so forth.

That is why it is just appended with "Preview".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima

Why not make the text in bold?
Like:
Preview : Maloria and a diffrent icon?
Again, you'd need Stefan to control this function of display on the Login server. But for Bolding of certain servers doesn't seem worth the effort. They're still pretty definitively distinguishable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X
The point is already described clearly, please read carefully. It's not aimed at Classic accounts, Gold accounts, or any account at all. It's directly aimed at Developers. Now, to be a developer (IE: Have RC on ANY server), you would already have a Gold subscription as Gold is required to use RC. That is why there'd be no sense at aiming it at the status of one's subscription.

The player side of it is just for peek's. Go in, check around, see if you like it, log off, come back at a later time or date and peek at what's been done in the time you've been away, and see if there's been progress made (Which would indicate that they succeeded in finding new, motivated development staff whilst being on Preview).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark910
This is a nice idea

Although I've not paid too much attention these past years:
1) Why are there no other servers on the hosted list?
1) A few places were unable to keep up with their subscription, such as AEON whose owner had to move around IRL a bit. Once their subscription is renewed, they should reappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo33
When is this gonna happen? I would like to apply but I don't have enough content yet, but I have a solid built and I know my server could make it big, but just not NOW.
I will have to discuss that with Bell. Originally, I was going to be doing this while Bell was away over the weekend but as the bulk of you know, the forums broke/went down from around Friday night. Upon her return, whether she noticed the recent problems and the "Forums Repaired" thread or not, she went ahead and made this thread to get things on the roll.

Since it's out there already though, I figure it'd be safe to say that it's pretty much underway and we'll make an official announcement to call for applications very shortly.
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Nice idea.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
The point is already described clearly, please read carefully. It's not aimed at Classic accounts, Gold accounts, or any account at all. It's directly aimed at Developers. Now, to be a developer (IE: Have RC on ANY server), you would already have a Gold subscription as Gold is required to use RC. That is why there'd be no sense at aiming it at the status of one's subscription.
that isn't even a reason, that's just saying "we're just not going to aim at account status for the sake of not doing so, because developers will OBVIOUSLY have gold"