Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
anubis_wing will become famous soon enough
Zodiac copied Mal, Zodiac was same yet new, shinier and bigger. Maloria had almost no serious content updates, inflation was retarded and items were unevenly spread. Seriously, the only way to get super special awesome items was events, and no one won those but the best players. So when Zodiac was released it destroyed Mal, then there was like 10 players, then they did a reset of items, levels and all that then the pop was 0.

Ziro was developing new baddy systems, I know because I spent several hours helping him test it. Then Mania took the server off, and that was the end of it. Since that point many changes of ownership, lack of development and changing the concept of what Maloria should be completely, several times infact, has set it back much longer then it should have.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticfrog View Post
of course not

duel wield was awesome !!
nn
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Retired Zone Manager
PowerProNL can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to PowerProNL
I miss old maloria, I played it so much and now its dead
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Engine is on a distinguished road
Honestly Zodiac isn't really like Maloria.
-The way you level is totally different and faster.
-You level up class levels instead of main levels and adjust your stats like Maloria.
-PVP it totally different, especially with the auto turn target system which is one of zodiacs less admirable properties.
-Events on Zodiac aren't really all that fun.
-No epic nation battles and no Kevin laming kills on Daednu to help Inuia win nation wars.
-ect,ect,ect...

In all honesty I think Maloria players, even myself at one point accused Zodiac of copying Maloria although it's not quite true. It has aspects of many, many mmo's.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Zodiac seems to be like it was Graal's attempt at jumping on the bandwagon set off by WoW. Every commercial MMORPG seems follow the concepts laid down by WoW in some way these days. I just hope, which I'm sure they have, that Maloria's team has really thought outside the box and is doing something really cool
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Engine is on a distinguished road
WoW has roots in many other MMO's you can hardly say Zodiac copied it.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Indigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
WoW has roots in many other MMO's you can hardly say Zodiac copied it.
What I'm saying is that since WoW was released and gained the popularity it did, there have been many, even successful, attempts at following it's success with similar concepts. I never said it was a direct copy of WoW. Even Jerret has said that Yen borrowed concepts from WoW.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
Honestly in the end i dont think it even matters.

i really couldn't care less if they took some ideas from wow or not.

But there are other games out there that are like wow too but use item shops instead. there is TONS of mmo's.... Plus im pretty sure everyone already knew to some extent that zodiac is like wow.

Still, it doesn't matter.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Indigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticfrog View Post
Honestly in the end i dont think it even matters.

i really couldn't care less if they took some ideas from wow or not.

But there are other games out there that are like wow too but use item shops instead. there is TONS of mmo's.... Plus im pretty sure everyone already knew to some extent that zodiac is like wow.

Still, it doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
Zodiac seems to be like it was Graal's attempt at jumping on the bandwagon set off by WoW. Every commercial MMORPG seems follow the concepts laid down by WoW in some way these days. I just hope, which I'm sure they have, that Maloria's team has really thought outside the box and is doing something really cool
I wasn't saying it did matter. I should have put more focus on my hopes for Maloria.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Maniaman is on a distinguished road
Time for a little history lesson!

We started out with Old Maloria under the leadership of CyberX and BinaryCrash. I don't remember the exact date it was launched or the date I came on board as a measley little events team member.

Anywho, CyberX and BinaryCrash eventually left as they no longer had enough time to handle it. I believe the server then went to MrWorry, Pokilty, and Twusk. It's been a long time ago, so I don't remember who was technically highest on the foodchain at the time. MrWorry and company kept Old Maloria around long enough until the playercount began dwindling to nothing.

Once the playercount dropped everyone was introduced to the wonderful "wait.nw" level. A new development project was started. A new overworld was created with new tilesets. It was what an "upgrade" should be. It saved the general idea of Old Maloria, while ading many new features and polishing old ones. This era of Maloria is now known by most as the "v1" era.

v1 did good for a while. By this point I had worked my way up to Developer or something like that. Midway through the lifespan of v1 the powers that be decided to plan for the future, and began discussing plans for v2. Development on v2 began on the main server alongside v1. Some older players may remember seeing a few admins running around with "v2" text floating above their head while we worked on the new systems. v2 added classes, exp, and leveling.

Unfortunately, you can't exactly finish developing and polishing a completely new server on a single gserver while still keeping the 'old' server running. I believe Maloria was removed from the classic list at this time so we could finish getting v2 ready.

v2 development finally wound down and we had to re-apply to get classic. Passed all the "tests" and then we got failed on scripting for a couple scripts that could easily be abused. Fixed those and a few weeks later Maloria was back on classic and boasting record playercounts that rivaled Unholy Nation and Era for a while.

I was now the manager after MrWory had left because of his lack of time. Things were still going good for the server, we had an active development team, kept pushing out updates, and kept players interested.

I'd say v2 lasted a good year atleast before things really started to go downhill. Most of the development team were beginning to grow up. I was in highschool at this point and had other obligations than graal. The same can be said for most of the development team at that time. Most of the dedicated ones that had helped design and build the server were reaching highschool or college. They were getting licenses, and jobs. The upper management/developers of the server (me included!) didn't have as much time as we once did to run the server.

v2 was now a few years old at the point. Many of the systems were beginning to show their age. Developers and NATs went through adding new items for players, but never followed through with actually putting most items out for sale. Corruption ran rampant with staff members giving large sums of money or items to their friends. Duping bugs were discovered and abused full-force.

Everyone knew something had to be done. TB3 had joined the ranks and was responsible for many new features later in the life of v2. However, with the server crumbling beneath us we decided to start on v3. There wasn't a whole lot of planning, little documentation. Things were going great though, until TB3 dissapeared. We were left with only a general idea of how to move forward, a number of half finished undocumented scripts. Throughout the time I was manager, we tried a few different ideas/plans for v3. Each time we tried, we would have an energetic staff team that worked great and pushed out the content...for a few months. Then key memebers owuld just dissapear and the process would repeat itself.

With v2 still online, being horribly neglected, and averaging less than 10 players, I finally decided to pull the plug on it and concentrate on v3. Its just too bad I didn't have enough time to actively manage v3 development.

Most people thought I should quit because i wasn't active enough. They were right, I should have, but I was stubborn and believed that we could still get v3 finished. I think I also wanted to prove a point to all those people telling me that v3 would never get finished.

I should have listened to them and handed it off to someone else sooner.

I finally decided to get out of Maloria for good and in 2007 or 2008 I handed it off to Vash-Aniki. beyond this point I don't know enough about what went down to be able to tell you. Ziro could explain it better as he was more actively involved at that point. All I know now is Ziro is in charge, and they are working on v3 again.

Ziro also touched on a number of other things in his post that led to the collapse of v2.

Now to answer the two big questions:
1. Will v3 ever get done? Only time will tell.
2. Am I responsible for Maloria's downfall? Yes.

What can everyone learn from this?
-When developing a server, PLAN EVERYTHING OUT IN ADVANCE. You want a solid plan before you start development. Then if someone leaves or dissapears, they don't take all of their plans with them.
-If you don't have time to manage a server, let someone else. One hour a day is not enough time to spend managing a server if you want to be successful.
-Managing a server is not as easy as most people think.

(wow that was a lot of typing)

Current Maloria Event: (click to go to it)
Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaman View Post
What can everyone learn from this?
-When developing a server, PLAN EVERYTHING OUT IN ADVANCE. You want a solid plan before you start development. Then if someone leaves or dissapears, they don't take all of their plans with them.
-If you don't have time to manage a server, let someone else. One hour a day is not enough time to spend managing a server if you want to be successful.
-Managing a server is not as easy as most people think.
This should all be common knowledge, it's kinda sad that people need to be told this.

I plan everything before I make it. Planning is one of the ways you inspire people to do work, because you can share with them an inkling of some great vision you have. On the rare occasion that I make levels, specifically towns, I plan them out beforehand so there aren't wasted buildings, there is room for expansion, and to make the design logical and interesting. I have this nice plan for Santerrain on BI that I was working on, but it seems there is no effort to going into the place so not very inspired to continue work on it.

Anyhow, imho the best thing that can be done to try to save Graal in the short term is to abolish the crappy new playerworld renting system and roll back to the old playerworld system. This way there are less playerworlds and more developers available per playerworld.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Anyhow, imho the best thing that can be done to try to save Graal in the short term is to abolish the crappy new playerworld renting system and roll back to the old playerworld system. This way there are less playerworlds and more developers available per playerworld.
Agreed. The good developers are too spread out. You can't make a successful server with just 1 or 2 developers. People need to come together more and work on common projects if Graal is to ever see another server reach the Classic tab.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
I finally decided to get out of Maloria for good and in 2007 or 2008 I handed it off to Vash-Aniki. beyond this point I don't know enough about what went down to be able to tell you. Ziro could explain it better as he was more actively involved at that point.
Quite wrong. You don't seem to remember that just before you pulled the plug on v2, Zero made it rather obvious that he wanted (and would!) script all of v3 by himself, and made me bid my farewells to Maloria. From late 2005 to late November/December 2008, I wasn't involved with Maloria even the slightest.

Quote:
2. Am I responsible for Maloria's downfall? Yes.
On the contrary - without you staying as long as you did, Maloria would have falled apart way earlier, despite popular belief. Without you someone like Gambet would have taken over.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Quite wrong. You don't seem to remember that just before you pulled the plug on v2, Zero made it rather obvious that he wanted (and would!) script all of v3 by himself, and made me bid my farewells to Maloria. From late 2005 to late November/December 2008, I wasn't involved with Maloria even the slightest.
See this is why I said you know more than me

There's a lot mroe that went on behind the scenes, but so much of it is ust a blur to me now. I remember most of what went on, but dates and the order escapes me.

Also this has caused me to look through old post/chat logs and made me realize that in 2004 I was even more of an idiot than i originally thought.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:15 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
I would have scripted all of v3 had I had the help I wanted, truth me told though I did kind of abandon the project my self after having little to no help at all in the graphics department and a plethora of players talking trash about me on the Maloria forums. Guess they didn't like my ideas .