Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Zone
ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Codein Codein is offline
jwd
Codein's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greater Manchester
Posts: 2,423
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Updates

Since joining Zone, I said that what Zone needs is regular updates, big and small, to keep activity and the juices flowing. I, for one, do not believe in this elusive 'big bang' mentality that a lot of people believe in. It sounds glamorous but it only creates more time between building your vision and finding out if people actually like it. But less on that.

Planet Points

Over the course of last week, we released an update called 'Planet Points'. As some probably know, the transition was far from smooth, but that doesn't matter now.

Anyway, there are a small number of prizes automatically given out, similar to how you win event prizes. I've detailed the requirements for each prize below:
  • 50 points for 50 pipe bombs
  • 150 points for a Silencer (1 month)
  • 200 for 100 cakes
  • 300 for 100 gas grenades
  • 700 for Bluepistoles (2 weeks)
  • 1200 for Reapers (1 month)
  • 1750 for a Scifi Pistol (1 month)
  • 3000 for a BFG11 (permanent)
  • 3500 for redpistoles (3 months)

If you don't know why we've called it the BFG11, shame on you!

Profile Changes

When I spent some time actually playing Zone, purely as a player, there was little to no indication of how much I had left to the next rank, which are seemingly important milestones. Deas had already made something on Debug, using percentages, to show how much EXP you had left so we released that. It now, however, has been changed to the actual amount.

You can find this next to your total EXP.

Rolling

Rolling has also been nerfed. It was far too fast and, consequently, the distance travelled was far too large. It has been reduced to 65% of it's original speed and seems to be less lame now (others may disagree, I just to like roll )

Staff Changes

As it turned out, Fleshkiller didn't feel like he was fitting for the Events Team and thus resigned. Based on the other applications, Bigtime008 has replaced him.

Another member of the Events Team has gone A.W.O.L and has, now, been removed so there is the possibility of another opening. However, things seem to be going fine with 2.

It is becoming apparent that GPs will need to be hired some time or other but I'm not entirely sure on the details yet.

Anyway, with all that said and done I look forward to releasing some more updates, which don't appear to be fubar!

Thanks.

Last edited by Codein; 01-09-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
PowerProNL PowerProNL is offline
Retired Zone Manager
PowerProNL's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 266
PowerProNL can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to PowerProNL
Quote:
Another member of the Events Team has gone A.W.O.L and has, now, been removed so there is the possibility of another opening. However, things seem to be going fine with 2.
I think that's me
__________________
Graal Mail: PowerProNL@graal.net
McPowerProNL, I'm loving it
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Jesper Jesper is offline
Zone experience.
Jesper's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 373
Jesper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post

Another member of the Events Team has gone A.W.O.L and has, now, been removed so there is the possibility of another opening. However, things seem to be going fine with 2.
I agree. 2 is enough now. Did you think about one FAQ, and one PA ET (Like one player who has experience with Zone and can help with Events if the ET need him or help with problem if there are no other Staff online.)? Updates are also realy nice, I like the planet point! Good work.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Shadow5596321 Shadow5596321 is offline
The Forum Bandit
Shadow5596321's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,515
Shadow5596321 will become famous soon enough
FAQ should be intergrated into the role of GP also, not seperate just for the sake of "LOL MOAR STAFF"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamutstevetff View Post
me and huwa - teh uber chavs -
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Codein Codein is offline
jwd
Codein's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greater Manchester
Posts: 2,423
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5596321 View Post
FAQ should be intergrated into the role of GP also, not seperate just for the sake of "LOL MOAR STAFF"
I've considered this and I've come to the conclusion that it is a very, very bad idea. Truth be told, I don't like hiring staff so at first this appeared to be a very glamorous idea. However, there is a fine distinction between who are capable of helping others and who are capable of enforcing the rules.

You'll find there are two types of people. There are those who love to help others, but would find it difficult enforce the rules on people they like. Then there are those who can seem cold and distant, yet think objectively and fairly.

If you can see this type of divide, you can see how difficult it would actually be in combining those two roles.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
cyan3 cyan3 is offline
Registered User
cyan3's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: England
Posts: 2,919
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
I've considered this and I've come to the conclusion that it is a very, very bad idea. Truth be told, I don't like hiring staff so at first this appeared to be a very glamorous idea. However, there is a fine distinction between who are capable of helping others and who are capable of enforcing the rules.

You'll find there are two types of people. There are those who love to help others, but would find it difficult enforce the rules on people they like. Then there are those who can seem cold and distant, yet think objectively and fairly.

If you can see this type of divide, you can see how difficult it would actually be in combining those two roles.
I would agree with that. My definition of it is that the role of an FAQ is to help and support the community, and essentially be liked by the players. If an FAQ is also jailing/banning they may become disliked by certain players in the community making it hard to be an FAQ.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 PM
fowlplay4 fowlplay4 is offline
team canada
fowlplay4's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,188
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
All Staff should be answering questions and being helpful regardless of their role.

FAQ is nothing more than a PR-test to see if you're good enough with people to take on the reigns of GP.
__________________
Quote:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Codein Codein is offline
jwd
Codein's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greater Manchester
Posts: 2,423
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
All Staff should be answering questions and being helpful regardless of their role.

FAQ is nothing more than a PR-test to see if you're good enough with people to take on the reigns of GP.
Although I agree with your first point, and this is expected on Zone, I disagree with your second point. There are just certain types of personality which are better suited for to an FAQ role, in which they'll always find it difficult to do the duties of a GP. In my eyes, a GP is no more important than an FAQ, they're just two different types of player relations roles.

If you think about it, way back when, the role of an LAT was much broader - they weren't just responsible for levels but also graphics and scripting. Have you noticed how that has splintered? It was for good reason and it is, in my opinion, for good reason that FAQs and GPs are two distinct roles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,581
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
If you think about it, way back when, the role of an LAT was much broader - they weren't just responsible for levels but also graphics and scripting. Have you noticed how that has splintered? It was for good reason and it is, in my opinion, for good reason that FAQs and GPs are two distinct roles.
I don't remember this. I remember the days before any staff, when it was just GPs. Back then the GPs policed, and as far as development went there were no staff because there were no teams. Playerworld development rarely relied on an actual staff, and just player submissions. So players tended to make their own houses, thus had to be responsible for the levels, scripts and graphics since... well it was just their house. Then some people like Antago excelled and got dungeons, or islands or more extravagant things created for the playerworld beyond just a house.

From what I recall, there were no development staff until making your own server was beginning to get serious. Then again, this was a long time ago and my memories are vage.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
MagikMasterMind MagikMasterMind is offline
!
MagikMasterMind's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada, Qc
Posts: 699
MagikMasterMind will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to MagikMasterMind
If you need help for anything, I can squeeze somewhere
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Codein Codein is offline
jwd
Codein's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greater Manchester
Posts: 2,423
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I don't remember this. I remember the days before any staff, when it was just GPs. Back then the GPs policed, and as far as development went there were no staff because there were no teams. Playerworld development rarely relied on an actual staff, and just player submissions. So players tended to make their own houses, thus had to be responsible for the levels, scripts and graphics since... well it was just their house. Then some people like Antago excelled and got dungeons, or islands or more extravagant things created for the playerworld beyond just a house.

From what I recall, there were no development staff until making your own server was beginning to get serious. Then again, this was a long time ago and my memories are vage.
I'm pretty certain I only ever saw LATs on Classic but, similarly, this is a long time ago.

I think, besides the sketchy example, my feeling still stand on the matter and FAQs have a definite role.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Feonix Feonix is offline
****in' Allstar
Feonix's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Posts: 592
Feonix will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Feonix Send a message via Skype™ to Feonix
2600 points to go
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Demisis_P2P Demisis_P2P is offline
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,357
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
I'm pretty certain I only ever saw LATs on Classic but, similarly, this is a long time ago.

I think, besides the sketchy example, my feeling still stand on the matter and FAQs have a definite role.
Yeah COM013, who made the gameboy minigame system on Classic, was a "LAT" but he did mostly scripting.
But this was because back in the day there was no NPC server, so all scripts were considered part of the level that they were in pretty much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.