Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Bridge Railings

I think the bridge looks good, it looks like its a bending wooden bridge, I will touch up the colors later, right now they are too clean, I want it to have an old bridge feel, however, I need help on the railings. I want it to looks like the railings bend, however they currently don't look like that, can some one give me a tip?

Name:  bridge.png
Views: 240
Size:  834 Bytes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
For one, you've gradient-shaded the bridge, which makes it look like your highlights get strongest near the center of the bridge. That's fine, but you carried over that same kind of shading onto the railings of the bridge, which makes it look rather flat. I would recommend some kind of vertical shading instead. Also, making it bow out slightly might help as well. Right now it looks completely square and uninteresting. (And has a really weird perspective, too.)
Old 07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
I like the right one, the left one looks kinda like a barrel
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Ignorance has no future
What do you mean by a bow?, also I understand what you are saying about the shading, however a vertical shade doesn't seem like it would work, I need to find another option, the perspective is suppose to straight above the bridge. I was going for Graal style, however, I make a smaller version first, like the one above before I make it on the larger scale.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Ignorance has no future
Here is my bigger, more graal like version, it has texture and better colors this time, also, I had to go back and made it divisible by 16 because of the width and height of the blocks of the pixels on a levels tileset.

Name:  bridge3.png
Views: 312
Size:  1.1 KB
Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Here is my bigger, more graal like version, it has texture and better colors this time, also, I had to go back and made it divisible by 16 because of the width and height of the blocks of the pixels on a levels tileset.

Attachment 48847
16x16 blocks of pixels on tileset= tile

Actually it looks cool, but again the gradient you're using make it look round, with some kind of perspective.
Just copying 1 color type would make it rather nice, or maybe 2 maximum, but not 3.

Name:  bridge.png
Views: 228
Size:  755 Bytes
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Ignorance has no future
I did that on purpose, I was going for a wooden bridge that bended x.x, also what do you mean by gradient? I thought a gradient was a bunch of shades of one color, also, the bridge you used, looks like stairs now because of the shadows below the next step.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Yeah, for once Kratos' newest version is better than the edit thereof by another person, since, Kratos made a bridge, whereas the other looks like a staircase.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
You should remember to treat each plank of wood like its own object, rather than approaching the bridge as one single item. Each plank of wood is going to behave appropriately to the perspective, therefor change shape depending on the way it is 'positioned and angled', just like in a 3D environment. So the planks on the northern side you will be seeing less of because their tops will be facing away from the viewer, while the planks on the top and front you will see much more of.

This is far from perfect, but you should get the idea:
Old 07-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Ronnie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ronnie
Thumbs up

Since you said you wanted like an old style bridge, maybe you should think of making some ribbets / wholes or indents in some of the wood pieces. Also knowtice in mine how the darker pieces are in the middle, since as the bridge hangs the middle gets less sunlight(If your going for that kind of real life kinda feeling, and you don't have to but if you can make the ropes look good I think that would also be a good feature!
-Ronnie
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
I did that on purpose, I was going for a wooden bridge that bended x.x, also what do you mean by gradient? I thought a gradient was a bunch of shades of one color, also, the bridge you used, looks like stairs now because of the shadows below the next step.
Oh I thought you didn't want the bridge to bend.
Sorry, misread =X !
Old 07-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Ignorance has no future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
You should remember to treat each plank of wood like its own object, rather than approaching the bridge as one single item. Each plank of wood is going to behave appropriately to the perspective, therefor change shape depending on the way it is 'positioned and angled', just like in a 3D environment. So the planks on the northern side you will be seeing less of because their tops will be facing away from the viewer, while the planks on the top and front you will see much more of.

This is far from perfect, but you should get the idea:
I wasn't doing it graal prespective that will be a few steps ahead once I finish all of the detail/color/shape then I can modify it for graal, this process makes it a lot simpler, also Ronnie thanks for the idea, I can now use the two types of bridges thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
anubis_wing will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I didn't think that the lighting perspective was in the exact right place. You wanna get the light hitting the bridge at it's peak in turning, not where you currently have it.