Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 AM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
See hidden /s. I agree with you rare sane era individual.
Okay, thank god. I was really starting to lose faith in humanity : )
Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
natchez i think that uv never been in a gang with a higher rank than "Recruit", but since ur such a gang expert now tell us what u think is so good about an automated gang system? gangs with 10 members each and a raid every 2-3 days at best?
the only input staff would put towards the old gang system would be hosting gang events+replacing inactive/ineffective leaders, probably less work than having to approve gangs every day
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
natchez i think that uv never been in a gang with a higher rank than "Recruit", but since ur such a gang expert now tell us what u think is so good about an automated gang system? gangs with 10 members each and a raid every 2-3 days at best?
the only input staff would put towards the old gang system would be hosting gang events+replacing inactive/ineffective leaders, probably less work than having to approve gangs every day
Obviously, ranks and leadership in gangs give you variable expertise in the area. Granted most 'old' gang leaders ended up being failures.. and all 'new' gang leaders just bought their gang, I doubt it.

Pretty sure automation is 'so good' within itself, not to mention the breadth of new content and stuff that could blossom out of it. I'd rather not go into detail as you would ignore or not understand it anyway.

So, what you say here.. monitoring and manually editing scripts to control leaders is way less work than pressing a button?
Yeah man, you're right.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
gang activity low? sounds like era police is finally doing their job ^_^
Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
natchez i think that uv never been in a gang with a higher rank than "Recruit"
Not that it matters, but I have been a recruiter before.
But you're right, In their old state, gangs were not very interesting to me.

Quote:
gangs with 10 members each and a raid every 2-3 days at best?
What you are not understanding is that these things have nothing to do with an automated gang system.
You make it sound like these things are fundamental characteristics of an automated system, and since these characteristics suck the only option is to just scrap everything.

Quote:
tell us what u think is so good about an automated gang system?
There are many many benefits, you just need a little foresight to see them.
I don't have the time to explain everything right now. However, the most important reason for creating an automated gang system is to add a purpose to gangs.

Last edited by natchez416; 01-28-2012 at 06:21 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Still wasting time here?
Scoper is a glorious beacon of lightScoper is a glorious beacon of lightScoper is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Scoper
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchez416 View Post
arguments and things

Due to Era having a grand total of 100+ gangs, I've decided to make some changes. From now on if your gang is inactive at the end of the week (zero points), I'm going to delete your gang, there will not be a refund. If your gang is not in the top ten at the end of the week, you will receive a strike. Three strikes and your gang will be deleted. If your gang makes it in the top ten gangs the next week, you will lose a strike.

Also if you'd like to have your own custom gang tag color, it's 10k a single color, but it's another 10k if you'd like a text shadow.

Also I will be increasing gang limits for 25k for an extra slot. The fee doubles for every slot you purchase (next time would be 50k, 100k, ect).

opinion?

"I don't believe that right choice confers immunity. I no longer believe in reward. I simply believe that choices must be made regardless of their chances of success. And so I've come here."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
take my liver but not my classic accounts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola_KinG View Post
That's the type of guy you are. Never wrong, always right. Headache material you are.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoper View Post
Due to Era having a grand total of 100+ gangs, I've decided to make some changes. From now on if your gang is inactive at the end of the week (zero points), I'm going to delete your gang, there will not be a refund. If your gang is not in the top ten at the end of the week, you will receive a strike. Three strikes and your gang will be deleted. If your gang makes it in the top ten gangs the next week, you will lose a strike.

Also if you'd like to have your own custom gang tag color, it's 10k a single color, but it's another 10k if you'd like a text shadow.

Also I will be increasing gang limits for 25k for an extra slot. The fee doubles for every slot you purchase (next time would be 50k, 100k, ect).

opinion?

I like the zero point removal and the strike system, seems like a simple way to keep the gangs in check.

I however, dislike the option of 'paying for a better gang' in essence, the maximum should stay the same. Although I doubt anyone would shell out the cash to do it; well.. we have people like TK round these parts.

Keep the playing field even for now since the gangs themselves have no definite purpose (points are useless).
---

I believe that you should re-add the gang rewards for the top gangs, instead of just the top 1 receiving a reward like before give the top 3 gangs rewards, such as #1 - 5ec, #2 - 3ec, #3 - 1ec. This would give at least some motivation to raid and more to strive for than just 'woo most points even though they're pointless'.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Gangs that don't meet a minimum level of participation should be removed/receive a strike not gangs that don't make the top ten.

Make the upgrades cost gang points (?) not money.

Make consumable items that cost gang points so there's always something they can use them on.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
Play only to have a surviving gang? Thats not so brilliant, because there is no other reason for a gang to be active... Try offering incentives to active gangs rather making them pay for not being so.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
lol natchez did u just say gangs didn't have a purpose with the old system? gangs used to be (and r supposed to be) the purpose of era
it's not about the work to change a couple of scripts rogue, it's about making sure that every gang has a competent leader. u obviously dont agree with this since in years of era uv never been asked to lead a gang but this is the most effective way since itll motivate all ur recruiters to do well in order to have a chance to be the next leader
this system together with the gang bases killed era's raiding, if u dnt believe me just log onto era and check how low gang points are (imo personal points should still go negative or u should at least be able to see how many times a specific player has died)
oh and tim, fyi the party system was created for noobs who aren't good enough to make it in gangs. gangs r not supposed to be for everyone like it or not
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM
@ Scoper:
-All great ideas.
-I would like to see these functions carried out by an automated system eventually though, and not a staff member.
-Maybe gang points and money needed for upgrades?

@ BloodyKiller
Correct, Gangs did not have a purpose before.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I dont even know why we have a playerworld that promotes gangs.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
The original plan:
  1. Points measure a gang's activity, and gangs are required to stay active
    • Each gang has its own weekly point quota. If a gang fails to meet the quota at the end of a week, it receives a strike.
    • 3 strikes and a gang is deleted
    • Strikes can be removed if a gang meets its quota two weeks in a row (we just don't want gangs to be inactive for long periods of time--it's okay to have a slow week every now and then)
  2. Total points are used to unlock gang perks
    • Gangs don't "spend" points. They are just given the option to unlock things as they earn more points. For example, if a gang reaches 50k overall points, they are able to unlock gang guns.
      • Spending points might be cool for temporary rewards (such as being able to buy a 24-hr speed bonus for the top people in your gang), but this was not the original plan.
    • If a gang chooses to unlock a perk, its weekly quota increases. The idea is that a larger gang with more perks is going to have to work harder to maintain itself.
    • Leaders are given the choice whether or not to expand. We don't care if they're as small as a party as long as they're staying active.
  3. A set number of bases are positioned around the map (4 or so) and gangs compete to control them.
    • Only one base is active at a time.
    • Each base offers a unique bonus to the controlling gang. For example, an ammunition factory rewards unlimited ammo to whichever gang controls it.
    • I had an idea that at the end of the week, the gang that controlled each base for the longest time gets the perk (or a similar, less overpowered) perk for the entire next week. This might be hard/unfair to do, so you'd have to play around with the idea.
    • Bases have mini-objectives (such as killing the power, or blowing up a wall to create a new entrance) which award gang points.
    • Points for killing are doubled in bases.

Obviously this is a lot of work, and it would take time to play with the everything to find numbers that are balanced and effective.

I had also planned to eventually extend the EventBot to automatically host/manage gang events, so that gangs could challenge one another to things like CTF and TDM. Without going into too much detail, it would basically work like this:
  1. Gang A and Gang B have a lot of people online
  2. Gang A challenges Gang B to a 5v5 TDM match
  3. Gang B accepts, the leaders pick their 5
  4. The EventBot takes over and hosts the match
  5. The winning gang is given a reward (ideally the reward would be gang points)
  6. A leaderboard could be maintained

These are just my ideas...things I was working on when I was staff. I have no intention of ever returning to finish these plans. Maybe they can help the current team come up with their own ideas.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
the eventbot is one of the worst ideas ever, because what makes events very fun is actually the contact with the hoster too
Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Posting The Truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
the eventbot is one of the worst ideas ever, because what makes events very fun is actually the contact with the hoster too
So true, events would be boring as hell (same thing over and over) if I couldn't ***** out an ET every time something happens.