FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
In a naughty place.
touch_me is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to touch_me
Lightbulb What makes a good manager?

Hello fellow graalians. I am seeking out an answer that will hopefully help all of us. I have been apart of many servers, making graphics, ganis, and levels. I have seen numerous servers fail, where other may succeed and vice versa. I have developed on both classic worlds, and playerworlds. But now i am seeking out an answer as to what makes a good manager. I know each person shall have there own opinion on this, and thats why i am posting this question here.

In my opinion, a manager should be someone whom not only helps with the progress of a server but is a cornerstone. Someone who already has the understanding that maturity and cooperation are the key principles behind making concepts and plans a reality.

But it is hard to find a single person with the discipline and character required to fill such an important position.

There are wikis about how to create graphics, or how to learn graal script. but where can i find information about managing?

I would like to hear some of your opinions about any manager that you think has been successful and why they were able to be such a success.

I would also like to hear about the opposite. Who was/is a bad manager why are bad in your own opinion.

And if anyone who currently manages an already "successful" server happens to read this please add your thoughts as well.

And please be honest, don't be affraid of hurting anyones feelings, anything posted here should be information that can help all future managers and this thread should be no means turn into a place where people blast jargon against one another in an attempt to make someone look bad so they can feel good about themselves.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I think a good manager is someone who is dedicated to the server, even though others may be inclined to leave because all seems lost. Development skills are always a plus, but a lot of the time all that a manager needs (I shouldn't really say this since it sounds like it's easy to manage, and it's not) is people skills (dealing with player issues), ability to motivate staff to get work done, and an actual care for the server.

One problem some managers have is they try to control everything, and players don't like this. Very few managers can say that virtually everyone on their server supports them.

I didn't mean to mention anyone specifically, but Tig is such a good example. GK a few months ago seemed completely dead, with no chance of returning. But look now, and you'll see that there have been 60+ players on at times. I know through personally working with Tig that he's very good with people, and gets along with just about everyone. He is also very dedicated to Graal Kingdoms, and worked extremely hard to get it back to where it is now, even though many, many people (including myself) gave up on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:45 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Every server that I have have worked on have failed, god I love fail, isn't failure great? so well maybe none of those that I have worked with I guess xD But yea im in love with Tig aswell his so perfect in every way.

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Listens to the players and actually takes the initiative to accomplish what he/she says they're going to accomplish.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Being a decent scripter.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
som1 who managez good lols
Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 AM
In a naughty place.
touch_me is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to touch_me
I don't think i have ever even really talked to Tig, and i have never played GK past the first few minutes of game play. But bravo to Tig, he faces no easy task; and i would have to agree that manager should be listening to players. But he should always take that input with a grain of salt. Because some things sound good, but not everything is possible.

I guess now i should give honorable mention to the people whom i have observed and believe have some the of the traits that might make a good manager.

My list is rather short, being made up of only 3 people. Not including anyone who already manages.

First person i would have to say is probably Aeko, I know some people may not agree with the names i am saying but this is my opinion. Aeko is mature, and can handle things. He is easily a strong asset to any development team and can not only manage himself but i believe he could easily manage a server.

The second would have to be Zelph. Mainly because i have seen that he is able of handling his real life and accomplishing things that other people don't have the discipline to aspire to. So he understands the types of decisions important to being a strong manager.

Following along the same lines is the third person, who would have to be Rogpog. He is seldom rash, and a man a few words from what i have observed. As well as Zelph he has accomplished his goals that he has sought after and has succeeded.

Not to say that Aeko has accomplished nothing. I just don't know as much about his story :P
Old 04-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Listens to the players and actually takes the initiative to accomplish what he/she says they're going to accomplish.
This

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
a/s/l
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
just like chris said; dedication.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
Every server that I have have worked on have failed, god I love fail, isn't failure great? so well maybe none of those that I have worked with I guess xD But yea im in love with Tig aswell his so perfect in every way.
Aeko, you're other manager, on your other job you never work at, is calling you out after trying to have gotten you to work for the 300th time... x.x;

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch_me View Post
Not to say that Aeko has accomplished nothing. I just don't know as much about his story :P
It's long...and sad. D:!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Aeko, you're other manager, on your other job you never work at, is calling you out after trying to have gotten you to work for the 300th time... x.x;
Yes on something thats super huge and totally irrelevant to the thing I originally joined to do but w/e and ur server haven't failed.

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:42 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Active: Online at least a few times a week. Logging on those few times and saying "What's the update?" "Ok ill see ya guys/girls later, GOOD WORK!", does not and should not be acceptable in my opinion. If you're barely on and your position is 'Manager', then you obviously don't have the time to 'manage' your server and it's staff.

Organized: You should have a solid development plan so that once you hire, you know what needs to get done right then and there, instead of coming up with things in your head that you think would be 'cool'. As a manager i think it's also important to make sure every staff member knows a decent amount of information about the server, such as the storyline, major quests ect. I hate seeing developers that come to work for a server, but have no idea what it's about. (This is obviously not that important seeing as you'll be lucky too find a decent NAT now and days >.>)

Mature:
I'm not saying that i think you should be mature and professional 24/7, because that will stress you if you think about it, for me at least. A manager should know when his/her professionalism needs to be shown. Like if a Manager tries to stop a large argument via masses (assuming there's no GP's on) and just says "omfg can you guys stfu, your all a bunch of annoying noobs". He/she should be smacked. I'd find that embarrassing, even though it does get tempting to just 'lash out' like that at times.

Strict/Nice: Can't be too strict, but you can't be too nice either. I think, if your too nice your staff will see your server as a place to just chat on RC do small things to make it look like there doing there job. (E.g, A GFX admin has a large project and is already delayed, but hops on every 4 days to upload heads then logoff).

If your too strict, you will just annoy your staff that are working for your project, and eventually lose them. But you still can't let them be completely lazy or they'll think that's fine of course. Management should make sure work is getting done, so that the players have something to look forward to, and nothing to complain about. No matter how good your content is, it'll eventually get old/boring.

Knowledge: You should know everything about the server your managing, from current staff, to all the systems, gfx, ect ect.This will help in many situations that might happen if you have no knowledge.

Relationship with Players: It's also a plus i think if a manager could find the time here and there to partake in an event or such other things. Keep the players informed of what is being done, and what they can expect in the future, but be accurate. Don't tell them your going to release a big system in 2 days and it won't be done for another month. That makes them lose respect points for you, and will eventually cause them to try and throw you under the bus.

I think being able to develop is not necessary. but a big plus, since a server is pretty much based around scripts, knowledge of Gscript2 would be essential, unless you have very devoted NATs working for you of course. These are my own personal opinions, and will obviously change for each person that replies.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 AM
UN Manager
SwimChao is just really niceSwimChao is just really nice
I think a good Manager is made up of someone with the leadership and social skills to organize the entire staff team and communicate with the playerbase efficiently.

The Manager could be a poor artist, poor at levels and a poor scripter-- or not know how to do any of the above, and still be an apt, successful leader. They need to be innovative in their social skills and communicate with the player base and staff team on the proper levels and with the proper etiquette when the situation calls for it.

If the Manager has full control over their staff team to do the work efficiently, as they're supposed to do in the first place, they can be more successful than they could even imagine trying to pull off big projects on their own
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 AM
not doing alot
Liberated has a spectacular aura about
I haven't worked on alot of servers, only one actually, but i must say the manager is great,
what i think makes him a good manager
1: He is dedicated to the project, it has been going on for a long time now, but has never given up.
2: He really wants the best for the server, no shabby work or anything.
3: He has people skills, he can get people(atleast me), to get to work and finish the job.

I think without him the project would've been abandoned some time ago.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
A good Manager was Smu.

Cut off the part where he sold stuff for USD btw.
Closed Thread