Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
You know there's bolding and italics for you to use to emphasize your words, right? Reading a bunch of paragraph full of /'s is a bit annoying.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 AM
-Albus will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to -Albus
Sorry, but this is a pretty sorry plan for having over 4 years of little to no progress. I am extremely disappointed that this is all that you guys were able to come up with.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 AM
crbgraal is on a distinguished road
Sorry, it's habit from carried over from there being so many places where ctrl-i doesn't work. Like, uh, Graal's chatbox. :J
Old 07-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Albus View Post
Sorry, but this is a pretty sorry plan for having over 4 years of little to no progress. I am extremely disappointed that this is all that you guys were able to come up with.
As far as I am aware, it's nothing concrete, but a basic possible ideas for Classic to build it's real content on. All of these ideas are subject to change based on deeper thought and player feedback, which I haven't seen too much of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbgraal View Post
Sure, /but/, there's so freaking much /history/ in those few places, and even what didn't happen there is tied to it... I mean, when I think of Graal /as a whole/, the area in what's currently named graalcity_outside_*.nw are what come to mind. If you drop those, it's not only not Classic, but in my mind it's only barely /Graal/.

History is Classic's one resource that can't be replaced by other servers: use it! Sweeping redesigns of the overworld have happened before, after all... The Joint used to look like it was pretty much dropped in place of Link's house in LttP. Now the only thing like that at all is that you go south to the swamp.
Every server has their own history. Believe me.

Eh, I'm not sure what it is with people and old levels as if they will hold true gameplay value other than people trying to be superior with their nostalgia. Granted there will be those levels that stay no matter what, but I don't think Classic should re develop itself with these large chunk of old levels in mind. Classic wants to attract new players as well as keeping the current. You can't always make a decision based on what old players want. I guess it would be nice for those older players if some of their old levels/quests can be added in somewhere to still make a nice landscape to the server.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
►Point Man◄
Terazel Tenjin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
As far as I am aware, it's nothing concrete, but a basic possible ideas for Classic to build it's real content on. All of these ideas are subject to change based on deeper thought and player feedback, which I haven't seen too much of.
It's much too vague to reel in any major optimism. So apparently the consensus among developers is to start off with a "new" foundation. What I'd like to know is what's going to be the same and what's going to be different for the players in more specific terms with the new "core content." Is gameplay going to be the same or different? Is the server going to lean solely on quests and/or events to keep it alive? What general/planned contents are going to give new and old players the incentive to come and stay?

As far as "deeper thought" and "player feedback," there's been enough out there to say ye or nay to, but nobody developing has ever really came out to give a solid ye or nay to them here and/or explain why they decided that.

Fearless Leader of the Squirtle Squad Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Once again I flipflopped
Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
-Albus will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to -Albus
Quote:
Yea, but if this is all that you guys have after 4 years, it's pathetic. It's pretty bad that the management never had any idea of where the server was headed until now.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Every server has their own history. Believe me.
Sure, but Classic's history is Classic's history. Other servers don't have that, they have Era's history or Graal2001's history that I wish hadn't ended because I liked wandering around as a bomy. :P

Quote:
I guess it would be nice for those older players if some of their old levels/quests can be added in somewhere to still make a nice landscape to the server.
Right. I'm not saying change is evil, I'm saying that I want certain things to still be there somewhere. I mean, I assume you're going to have a town or two in the new world, why not build one of them based heavily on Graal City, with landmarks?

Which reminds me of something we lost long ago: the aliens. It was nice to have a place that felt different from the rest of the world, as a sort of break. Probably not a good idea to bring it back as a mainline quest though :J
Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like you're taking all the ideas everyone has been begging for that have been shot down, for years, and finally implementing them because Classic is on the brink of death.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Seems like you're taking all the ideas everyone has been begging for that have been shot down, for years, and finally implementing them because Classic is on the brink of death.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
►Point Man◄
Quote:
Which reminds me of something we lost long ago: the aliens. It was nice to have a place that felt different from the rest of the world, as a sort of break. Probably not a good idea to bring it back as a mainline quest though :J
Tyhm's implementation of Races was, at the time, a radical change of where the server was headed. But even as that was rolling out, he had already planned ten steps ahead and had a solid goal he was shooting for as far as how everything would come together. I don't remember much opposition to that at the time, but then again Tyhm has a better track record beyond anyone else that ever took up the development mantle since.

And on that note, falling back on the old stuff (ie: revamped implementation of certain old content, or mainly FEATURES like Races) isn't all but, just have to make that note of not solely relying on them thinking they're the ultimate solution.

Quote:
Once again I flipflopped
Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I never liked the races, because it didn't feel like Classic. They were still pretty damn cool outside of that, though.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terazel Tenjin View Post
Tyhm's implementation of Races was, at the time, a radical change of where the server was headed. But even as that was rolling out, he had already planned ten steps ahead and had a solid goal he was shooting for as far as how everything would come together. I don't remember much opposition to that at the time, but then again Tyhm has a better track record beyond anyone else that ever took up the development mantle since.

And on that note, falling back on the old stuff (ie: revamped implementation of certain old content, or mainly FEATURES like Races) isn't all but, just have to make that note of not solely relying on them thinking they're the ultimate solution.
Uh, I was referring to way back when, the aliens on the ridge just east of the brother's house that gave you the Graal of Energy. The alien tileset is a little ugly, sure, but it's nice to see something different now and then. But yeah, I liked a lot of Tyhm-era stuff (with the notable exception of hera-tradein not being automatic. At least, I think that was Tyhm-era...) What happened to him, anyway? I don't think I ever found out.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terazel Tenjin View Post
True true, nothing has been entailed yet about the actual content Classic will have to input. As far as I have been told/prefer, Classic will try to go down the path of adventure/questing, gradually expanding. (How much of this will be done on re release is something I really don't know). I don't like the idea of a server having the events outshine anything else as that is partly why GC died, and why UN has nothing to do but that.

Albus: I can't speak on the behalf of management at all. From what I've seen, Classic has had some general plan in those years, but most of it just didn't go in the intended way probably due to these custom systems, which have no documentation at all, either scaring developers or some not knowing how things work. Currently there is a debate between custom systems vs Default systems.

Crb: I see what you mean on your first point. On your second, not sure what you're asking, but I believe Graal city will remain untouched.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
hmm
Old 07-04-2009, 09:02 AM
►Point Man◄
Quote:
Uh, I was referring to way back when, the aliens on the ridge just east of the brother's house that gave you the Graal of Energy. The alien tileset is a little ugly, sure, but it's nice to see something different now and then. But yeah, I liked a lot of Tyhm-era stuff (with the notable exception of hera-tradein not being automatic. At least, I think that was Tyhm-era...) What happened to him, anyway? I don't think I ever found out.
Gotcha. It was nice to have the different areas and terrain associations throughout the land. Personally I really dug the fact that even in its infancy, you got a distinct feel of a different city when you travel around, rather than having that feeling of everything being the same on the continent with slightly different tiling.

I hear you on the hera thing. I wasn't a big fan of it, but at that point it was a minor annoyance and the way Tyhm explained it to me at the time (if I remember correctly), it was to allow for more quest/exploration content. As far as what happened to Tyhm, life would be the short answer. I would really like to see him take the Classic mantle again, but I don't think he wants to for various reasons.

Quote:
True true, nothing has been entailed yet about the actual content Classic will have to input. As far as I have been told/prefer, Classic will try to go down the path of adventure/questing, gradually expanding. (How much of this will be done on re release is something I really don't know). I don't like the idea of a server having the events outshine anything else as that is partly why GC died, and why UN has nothing to do but that.
What made quests and such so much fun back in the day for me (specific Tyhm-era) was that everything FIT together in a relatively coherent plot. Some of the stuff didn't seem to have a link/connection, but that's because not everything was released yet. Guild activities and wars were still fun using the default system of guild tags and unofficial alliances, but if we're working with primarily a small group or a monopoly of grouping, then there'll have to be a mandated divide among the players, at least for the purposes of gameplay.

I'd like more information on THAT part specifically as far as what the projected plans are. Being vague doesn't bode well when an environment requires solid forward planning and specific direction, even if it doesn't sit well with the populace.

Quote:
Once again I flipflopped