Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
map

Why did you remove the map in the bottom left of the screen to add a "radar" which barely covers 10 metres?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:37 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
the old map was so small and distorted. you couldn't distinguish anything from it.. it looked like a bunch of pixels mashed into an ugly mess. it's about time something new was made.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
Why did you remove the map in the bottom left of the screen to add a "radar" which barely covers 10 metres?
Out with the old, in with the new sort of deal here. The old map system as Frankie said is simply old and was far too much work to maintain. Currently the map system requires very little staff management as it can generate map images very quickly. Right now, the radar and the "M" map use the same map image to display content to players. There are a few features that aren't well known though.

For instance, you can change the size of your radar by hovering over and scrolling up or down. You can also right click the minimap to increase its transparency. You can even hover over icons on the map to view names of buildings, and even who controls a certain base.

Also, I've recently re-scripted the entire mailing system as well. I'll be doing the same with car missions too. But, the new map system allows you to quickly spot where your to deliver a letter.

Sorry for any inconveniences, but the new map system had far more features than the existing map system. It was an inevitable change.

Any other questions or concerns? If there's something you don't really like, or something that should be improved, feel free to post it here.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
screenshot of new radar please
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Your friendly PKer ;)
Electroballistic is an unknown quantity at this point
Map doesn't work for me when inside
I can't see the outside anymore
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroballistic View Post
Map doesn't work for me when inside
I can't see the outside anymore
You have to go from a gmap to an inside level. If you reconnect it will not display.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Butterscotch Pudding
shrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
You have to go from a gmap to an inside level. If you reconnect it will not display.
And that's exactly how the old map was as well, so how is this different. Why you complaining about this.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:38 AM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
screenshot of new radar please
Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
if you can't see players close to you and where you are on the map the radar is useless. i didn't particularly like the gfx of the old map but it had a purpose since i could see players close to me (scroll over them to see gang tag or just name) and noobs could easily realise where they were on the gmap.

as of now, all the new radar does is use up space because what you see on the radar is basically what you see on your full screen
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
a true gentlemen
I'm afraid to ask, but how can you not see players near you? I understand you want the old map system back so you can see the entire gmap at once, but through tests you can't actually see true player locations the farther you are from them on the gmap. That old map system also required a lot of time and effort for staff to maintain due to the gmap constantly being changed by developers.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Quote:
if you can't see players close to you and where you are on the map the radar is useless. i didn't particularly like the gfx of the old map but it had a purpose since i could see players close to me (scroll over them to see gang tag or just name) and noobs could easily realise where they were on the gmap.

as of now, all the new radar does is use up space because what you see on the radar is basically what you see on your full screen
press m
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Out with the old, in with the new sort of deal here. The old map system as Frankie said is simply old and was far too much work to maintain. Currently the map system requires very little staff management as it can generate map images very quickly. Right now, the radar and the "M" map use the same map image to display content to players. There are a few features that aren't well known though.

For instance, you can change the size of your radar by hovering over and scrolling up or down. You can also right click the minimap to increase its transparency. You can even hover over icons on the map to view names of buildings, and even who controls a certain base.

Also, I've recently re-scripted the entire mailing system as well. I'll be doing the same with car missions too. But, the new map system allows you to quickly spot where your to deliver a letter.

Sorry for any inconveniences, but the new map system had far more features than the existing map system. It was an inevitable change.

Any other questions or concerns? If there's something you don't really like, or something that should be improved, feel free to post it here.
Did you happen to implement sending items via mail when you were rescripting it? Or did you mean you rescripted the lettery delivery system, and not the mailing system?

Also, would it be possible to make it so you can move while the big map is open?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 PM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
Did you happen to implement sending items via mail when you were rescripting it? Or did you mean you rescripted the lettery delivery system, and not the mailing system?

Also, would it be possible to make it so you can move while the big map is open?
I just re-did the actual mail delivery system, not to get confused with the player to player letter system. It was broken due to buildings moving, and too much fragmentation between mailboxes around the gmap. It's now managed under one system and added to the gmap via script.

As for moving while the big map is open, just move your mouse outside the map window.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Era since 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
press m
you can't move or see anything around you

example: you're chasing someone with a flak cannon and you need to see which way he's running. with the old map it's simple, with the new map you can only see players really close to you
Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
you can't move or see anything around you

example: you're chasing someone with a flak cannon and you need to see which way he's running. with the old map it's simple, with the new map you can only see players really close to you
Quote:
For instance, you can change the size of your radar by hovering over and scrolling up or down.