Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 03:55 AM
dusk
Donark has a spectacular aura about
Era controls revamp

Besides the fact it's hard as hell to get a good gun starting off playing era, the gameplay's learning curve is ridiculous. You need to invest at least 300 hours to be even decent at pking. This is because the unique controls and gameplay era has.

What I'm suggesting is making the shooting WASD, w shoots up, a shoots left, s shoots down, and d shoots right.

As it is now, you need to be facing the direction you want to shoot. In which it does add a unique skill aspect to the game, but what is that actually accomplishing? A select few players who stick around long enough to master it and a ton of frustrated new comers who can't comprehend the ridiculous concept of aiming every shot based on the direction they're moving.

Obviously era's been this way for over a decade and I doubt people who have been playing it as is for their whole life will be open to it, but I don't see why trying it out for a day or two would harm the server. It'd be interesting to say the least.

This makes aiming a whole a lot easier, it's right in between how we have it now and auto aim. Right now experienced players can already pivot looking down and to the right, which is basically only because a 'bug' (wouldn't really call it a bug, just a nook in how the engine works) where when you hold left and then right, you pivot right, and when you hold up and then press down, you pivot down.

Not all players know about this, and it's just really something you can only master and use to it's full potential after playing 1000s of hours. It's not suppose to be part of the game play but all the best players use it and it's actually a major part of the game.

I'd like to hear your opinions on something like this, I don't think it'd do any harm if you at least made an event with these controls. The learning curve to era would be much easier and I can see players sticking around more.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:59 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Soooooooooo much work involved. And since they can't even be bothered to add a enter-textbox for the party system I don't think it's feasible anytime soon.

Just about every single item on the server would need to be touched if not considered. Grabbing (doors, cars, items, etc.), Melee, StaffTools, Reload, Guns, ((everything else that may function with weapons equipped))... a lot of major systems would need to have changes made. And most of these keys are personally bound (I know some players that moved or double-bound their A to R for reload, or shooting to spacebar, etc.)

After everything is catered to fit this, you'd have to actually make it happen and everyone would want options to rebind these custom keys; or a toggle for which option to use.

I like the thinking outside the box; but this would be better suited as the foundation for a new server or a unique event at least (where all those other variables can be null).
Old 03-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
sounds dumb
Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 PM
ooger will become famous soon enough
I like the idea, I would be down to try it. I'm not that good at the game anyways, but I agree that the controls are a bit hard to get used to. It does takes 1000s of hours to be comparable to people who have been playing for 5 yrs+. This immediately made me think of the iera controls, I think if we ever merge with them that we'd be stuck with their system. I don't see why this would hurt the game, we could finally get rid of strafing so people can't just run away holding d strafing backwards.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Not sure lowering the skill ceiling (which seems to be the point of your suggestion) is good?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
He wants it because then he might have a chance beating me.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:15 PM
dusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
we could finally get rid of strafing so people can't just run away holding d strafing backwards.
Definitely wouldn't change that. It would actually make it easier to do this since strafing is pointless, you can just easily run in 1 direction and shoot in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Not sure lowering the skill ceiling (which seems to be the point of your suggestion) is good?
Yes, it would be good since players would be able to learn the controls quicker not having to spend 1000s of hours playing to be able to fight with people who have been playing it for a decade. I've shown era to tons of people over the years, and most of them don't continue playing because the controls are so hard, not even that they don't have a gun since I'll be able to give them one. If the learning curve was easier I'm sure more people would stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola_KinG View Post
He wants it because then he might have a chance beating me.
10 me - 0 koho
Old 03-07-2015, 08:45 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
this wouldn't feel natural at all. what if you're running to the right but press the A key? does your character instantly turn left and shoot? if it doesn't you would still have to manually face the direction you want to shoot in.. this sounds like it would over complicate what is a really simple combat system.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 PM
dusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
this wouldn't feel natural at all. what if you're running to the right but press the A key? does your character instantly turn left and shoot?
Yes that's the whole point..
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Have you tried getting good?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Banned
Godzilla has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, I don't think we should make a move like this which would definitely piss off the older players that still play just to risk the chance of gaining 10 or so newer players.

I know I would definitely not log back on if they made a move like this just because that's 10+ years of my life playing out the window.

Think of other games for an example; when they die, they make a new series, not completely change the game in hopes people will play again. e.g CS
Old 03-08-2015, 01:55 PM
ooger will become famous soon enough
That's a good point Godzilla, and also thanks for checking me on that donark lol I didn't even think about it.