Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Questions about V6
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 PM
brokk is on a distinguished road
Moving Forward

My question is, how many people actually use V6?

As a developer, I find using the newest version is needed to move forward.

Although, some of the testers that come to my server seem to have issues with some of the features my game provides. The first question I ask is 'Do you use V6?'

100% of them say no...

In the future, will it ever be required to use the new updated version of the Graal client?

smh
Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
The non-native player-list and changes to the way font is displayed has put off a lot of players from upgrading to the new version, others also have performance issues which is odd.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
others also have performance issues which is odd.
I swear, vast majority of Graal players are stuck with their late 90's computers or $200 laptops.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I swear, vast majority of Graal players are stuck with their late 90's computers or $200 laptops.
Are you implying Graal isn't poorly written? It's common knowledge that Graal is the most inefficient program in the world.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy002 View Post
Are you implying Graal isn't poorly written? It's common knowledge that Graal is the most inefficient program in the world.
I run it very well now, even in situations where I'm doing very resource-intensive stuff. On a good system, V6 runs quite nicely.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
While true enough, it shouldn't have to be in a developers mind in 2013 to cater their program to work and support those crazy people who never updated a single thing from 1995. Technology is evolving so rapidly that even something from early 2000's is considered outdated and no longer supported. Honestly, why should Graal be held to any different standard?
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
While true enough, it shouldn't have to be in a developers mind in 2013 to cater their program to work and support those crazy people who never updated a single thing from 1995. Technology is evolving so rapidly that even something from early 2000's is considered outdated and no longer supported. Honestly, why should Graal be held to any different standard?
Because tons of people have performance issues and it prevents people from doing anything interesting with the Graal engine?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:54 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Because tons of people have performance issues and it prevents people from doing anything interesting with the Graal engine?
Don't use something from 1995 to test it on and you should be set? I've not had a single issue with V6 on either of my PC's, one being from 2006, my primary being custom built in 2012 for super performance, so I can't attest to any complaints I've heard with performance issues on V6, but if my old hunk of junk from a stock 2006 computer catalogue can handle V6 as it was intended, then maybe people are complaining for the wrong reasons and should instead be revising their computer specs compared to modern day standards or even their hardware configuration (Something as simple as AntiAliasing can make games flip out, not something inside the computer itself).
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
graal should run smoothly on any pc post-2001 considering how little has visually changed since then -.-

but it used to strangely lag on my new laptop in 2008 so who knows
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Soooo, back to my question... Is it going to be required in the future to use V6?

smh
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Many of the performance issues people face on v6 do not exist on v5. I've heard many, many reports from players with modern hardware running XP or 7 that run v5 flawlessly and v6 with very low framerates. Sometimes switching to OpenGL will fix that, sometimes not. Even people with brand-new computers occasionally have problems.

I tried compiling a list of hardware that was having trouble to attempt to identify the issue (a certain OS? graphics card? processor? ???) but couldn't find any pattern.

It strikes me much more as a compatibility issue rather than a raw power issue.

(FWIW, I've never had these types of issues on any device I've ever had, which is odd considering how common they are)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
I think a 200 dollar laptop could run Graal just fine (at least a current day 200 laptop)
I had a computer from early 2000s with XP that ran Graal just fine with no issues as well.

Also agreed with Chris, it's more then likely a compatibility issue.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Over the years, I've ran Graal on close to 10 different machines. The only one that it lagged on was a stationary from 1999 and a shitty laptop from 2004. I seriously don't understand how people get Graal to lag on their computers.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM
No it's cool, don't answer my question lol.

smh