Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
Free to Play

Why has this model not been introduced yet? This is a serious question. In a business model where your players make the content for other players, would you not want more players? The subscription is outlandish and undoubtedly turns off the majority of people who even visit the site. A free to play model fits Graal in almost every aspect. So why has this not even been discussed (and if it has, why haven't I noticed)?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
It's apparently "very difficult" to do for some servers. I don't know, quite dumb that it isnt already either f2p or back to the pre-v5 payment scheme.

Apparently the huge decline post-v5 didn't light any bulbs.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 AM
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
It was originally planned to be implemented with the release of v6, some servers even have gelat shops in preparation. However, Stefan and or Unixmad are too afraid to put this into effect fully because they think they will lose money.

Unholy Nation recently applied to get observer removed adding several gelat shop items and trial restrictions, yet they still got refused "because the f2p model does not fit that type of server". I find this funny because iClassic is just about the same thing yet it is incredibly successful.

source:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...5&postcount=40
Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillmaster19 View Post
Unholy Nation recently applied to get observer removed adding several gelat shop items and trial restrictions, yet they still got refused "because the f2p model does not fit that type of server". I find this funny because iClassic is just about the same thing yet it is incredibly successful.
It's more on the lines of Graal's owners not having time to monitor PC Graal, and needing to be 100% sure that any related economy to global shop items is conservative, secure and sustainable.

I'd say the main difference with a traditional server is that the gelat shop would need to be flexible, as opposed to a rigid system, but this involves a greater level of trust in a servers staff.

Last edited by ffcmike; 04-04-2012 at 04:28 AM..
Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Notice the part where Stefan says that the 'so things like the item system and economy need to be more secured' which leads me to believe UN has to fix their server first.

I'd like to see Graal F2P (with at least observer mode removed) on all servers regardless if the server has a gelat shop or not.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
With a little bit of effort I'm sure they could negotiate gelat shop items with the 4 servers they have with players on them.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Notice the part where Stefan says that the 'so things like the item system and economy need to be more secured' which leads me to believe UN has to fix their server first.
That's what I thought as well, I doubt UN is the most secure system around here when it comes to staff easily being able to add/remove items from people.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Unholy Nation
Starfire2001 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
If this is what he meant he could have been a ton clearer about it. When he came on RC to tell us that he could not remove observer mode, someone asked what we could do/what changes we could make in order to get it removed and he said there wasn't anything and it was entirely on his end.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
I'm not sure Graal PC would bounce back if it were switched to F2P, it feels like everything has changed so much that there are better gaming options for players.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm not sure Graal PC would bounce back if it were switched to F2P, it feels like everything has changed so much that there are better gaming options for players.
Would have been fine if Classic was just released as iClassic, where "PC" players and iPlayers play one server together. It's like that on FB anyway except FB Graal runs poorly compared to normal Graal.

And I'd appreciate it if lesser experienced players (i.e most people who'd disagree) wouldn't bring up LOLOL PC ADVANTAGE when there are plenty of capable iSparrers that will give any PC sparrer a nice ride.

Either way F2P wouldn't hurt, it would help if anything. It could be completely free and draw in let's say 10-20 players on UN. Maybe half of these would start playing Era/Zod and begin charging gralats. Is that not better than these players not playing/charging at all?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Either way F2P wouldn't hurt, it would help if anything. It could be completely free and draw in let's say 10-20 players on UN. Maybe half of these would start playing Era/Zod and begin charging gralats. Is that not better than these players not playing/charging at all?
I'm not really sure. I definitely feel like none of the existing servers with gelat markets have enough draw to turn over a profit or even match the existing revenue from subscriptions.

I feel that Unixmad has two paths he could follow here; either make an effort to establish gelat markets on popular servers and do some experimental F2P tests (100 "F2P" accounts, 50% old users and 50% new users)... OR consider Graal PC an obsolete product and just let it generate whatever revenue it can until it eventually runs dry.

But from my own point, I wouldn't consider the growth from F2P significant enough to revitalize Graal PCs dwindling income, even with the improvements I mentioned above. It's a hard call although realistically the experiment I described above would cost Cyberjoueurs very little and may even generate some new customers.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Player's don't give _any ****s_ about how the business works, the current system ****s players and drives away people who don't subscribe unless they play on Zodiac, Era, GK, or Zone.

Observer mode ****s people and needs to be stopped.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Führer Glazey
dude2020 is a jewel in the roughdude2020 is a jewel in the rough
Wait

You mentioned Zone

not helping your case.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0nkt View Post
Why has this model not been introduced yet? This is a serious question. In a business model where your players make the content for other players, would you not want more players? The subscription is outlandish and undoubtedly turns off the majority of people who even visit the site. A free to play model fits Graal in almost every aspect. So why has this not even been discussed (and if it has, why haven't I noticed)?
i made a peititon on UN section but its been mentioned so many times to remove observer mode. however that doesnt seem like its ever going to happen or making us pay to develop server for them just to get on a UC server it costs money.

no one really understands the logic behind the current prices other then milking it till graal pc dies on its own ignoring its community.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
They're surely earning more than enough money from iPhone servers.