Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
I really like Graal2001

best game ever made
Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Bring it back!! And I'll play.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
It comes down to money investment now. When we were little kids we could develop all day and not have to worry about adult stuff like bills and time. If I could pay my bills off for the next 6-12 months it could be much more do-able.
A while back I was actually in a position where I had some developmental control over the server. Less that a year ago (I think) that was silently taken away from me and some sort of iPhone goon-squad came in and did what they wanted with the server, taking away my RC access (again).
Old 11-08-2014, 03:33 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Can the server at least be accessible again at least Just let us wander around maybe? I know what you mean on the bills stuff. I work 2 jobs (~74 hours a week) and my free time goes between scripting, programming, sleeping, and hulu. Sure, the income is nice ~$625/wk USD. But I guess you can't really have both money, and free time lol Right now I have lost to $7,000 in debt and like $3,600 saved over the last 3 months towards paying that off.. It's quite hard to find time for a lot of things.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Man of the King
super_matt89 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to super_matt89 Send a message via AIM to super_matt89 Send a message via Yahoo to super_matt89
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
Can the server at least be accessible again
I agree, it was one of the most unique and satisfying servers. It would mean a lot to those few people that hold it in high regard.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 PM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
Can the server at least be accessible again at least Just let us wander around maybe? I know what you mean on the bills stuff. I work 2 jobs (~74 hours a week) and my free time goes between scripting, programming, sleeping, and hulu. Sure, the income is nice ~$625/wk USD. But I guess you can't really have both money, and free time lol Right now I have lost to $7,000 in debt and like $3,600 saved over the last 3 months towards paying that off.. It's quite hard to find time for a lot of things.
That's rich people money where I live in Asheville, NC. I owe more than that on my car and I make much less, more like $200 per week. I'm able to budget bills and have extra money but the point is that I would have to be receiving free income at this point in my life to ever have the time to develop Graal2001. But if that were the case, it could happen.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned
I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to donate money to those will to donate time to continue there projects. I k ow at one point I tried to offer Thor 2k to not abandon classic and keep making quests. But he turned that down. I'm getting close to being debt free for the first time in 8 years. Up to $4,300 saved up.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
All ya'll need Jesus.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 PM
G2k1
It's just a shame that there are no games out there that capitalize on the genius style of gameplay that Graal2001 provided. I think there could be more than just a niche market for that sort of thing, I mean look at how popular Animal Crossing has become. When it was on Gamecube everyone shunned it and now it's a big deal.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:38 AM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
It's just a shame that there are no games out there that capitalize on the genius style of gameplay that Graal2001 provided. I think there could be more than just a niche market for that sort of thing, I mean look at how popular Animal Crossing has become. When it was on Gamecube everyone shunned it and now it's a big deal.

Agreed 100%
Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Man of the King
super_matt89 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to super_matt89 Send a message via AIM to super_matt89 Send a message via Yahoo to super_matt89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
I also agree, Animal Crossing was underestimated! Graal2001 could bring that unique style back to mobile graal.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
As someone who formerly loved playing Graal2001 and had tried his hand at reviving it a couple of times, I would really love to see something happen here. There hasn't been a single server since that really hit the same level of style anywhere near as well.

Graal2001 was successful because it had a very well-balanced economy in-game, leaving players to trade items and to start off baking loaves of bread 1 gralat at a time, which resulted in items having a very real value. If you wanted to make any progress at all, then you had to actually play the game and invest some time. If you wanted to get involved in the more advanced methods of earning money (like the mining and crafting) then you had to put a bit of effort in beforehand. It kept the game interesting because you couldn't just log on the first time and get to everything - it felt like there was always something left to do.

If it were developed for iPhone, it would be probably wildly successful but with thousands of players online at one time it might saturate the economy pretty quickly unless carefully managed. Also any kind of micro-transactions involving real-world money or in-app purchases would completely kill the fun of the game. Graal2001 only worked because of how delicate the pricing of items was against how much money you can realistically make in-game in a given period of time - any way of injecting things by cash purchase would ruin that.

It would be nice bringing it back to PC as a free-to-play game too, but are there really enough active PC players left to make that a worthwhile venture? Either way, pretty much everything that is needed (with regards to levels, images etc.) is still on the server - it just needs some script love and a tidy up.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Joe Cruddas (VIP)
gravator has a spectacular aura about
Limited time holiday items like clothes or even a bomy skin that you can get for 2 or 3 dollars and only lasts for a month? You would be surprised at what people spend their money on for a little popularity or bragging rights.

If similar money making methods for bomy and human are used like what was available before, maybe create something that cost quite a lot of in game money that allows free players to buy cash style items or even a bit of membership time?

An idea i had for the bomy island Konidias was making, charge 100 gralats to change a part of your clothing as a way to keep too much money from being in the economy, like 100 for pants, another 100 for a coat, another 100 for a different shield, 100 for a new haircut.

Also add a unique way for events to be held, put a donation chest in the lobby of a particular event, and players can donate to that chest and try to win that donated money by winning the event.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM
G2k1
I feel like, Graal2001 revival or not, there needs to be some sort of Jedi council in place to prevent the dark side from ever resurrecting it for bad and selfish reasons instead of good. Of course Graal2001 could be a money printer, but it wouldn't be Graal2001 then now would it be?

It just wouldn't be worth any of the effort at all if the economy of the game were to compare gralats to real world money, as Skyld diligently observed. The fact that it takes a bit of work just to yield 1 gralat is testament to that fact. On Graal2001 the playing field begins equal to everyone and some grind hard, trade, and get rich while others struggle. Never is it unfair. If players could just spend real money on gralats, then whoever is the richest IRL is equated to 'best player' which simply isn't the way Graal2001 works. Maybe the best CS player might get rich by winning lots of items, or maybe someone spent a month farming apples and buying low/selling high at the market. The market wouldn't even work if real cash were in the equation.

With that being said, 2k1 was definitely the first online game I ever played where I witnessed players sell Gralats for cash over paypal. During its prime, many players did equate G to $. I would be more likely to set up a system where players would be able to trade as such, but the trade value would be up to the trading parties. I'm not opposed to players trading each other cash for Gralat, but think it would be wrong for players to buy them from the server. This way, the best Graal2001 players would get rich in real life, as a trade-off for the richest people in real life getting an in-game advantage. There would be no way to straight-up buy that advantage from the get-go.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:08 AM
Banned
I was never really a big fan of economy based gaming that supported the ability to trade in game for out of game goods. To me I would rather play a server that you cannot trade or drop your items if you want them go earn them. However, I do kinda miss some of the old servers that were around in late 2002 when I started. Servers that were just beginning to go UC or shutdown when I started. For example, I remember seeing old delteria, doomsday, boy moons, n-pulse, classic and I'm sure a few others. Thor's recent remake of Classic is just simply amazing. I am so saddened that I have already done the quests a dozen times and there are no new quests. I noticed that a huge part of grail's decline was not only when it transitioned into p2p (slightly before my time) yet still could hold player counts in the 80's-120's+ to when servers started going on a massive "we gotta have custom graphics and become rpg".. RPG I'm my opinion ruined the magic that I felt when I first started. Everything shifted from a exploring and questing to a storyline to more of a just go kill something 10,000 times and you'll be strong. Thats why servers like 2001, and classic, and even n-pulse were always great servers to me even if classic and 2001 went UC and never came back really =/ As for iPhone/Android servers and even Facebook... there just not fun to me, yeah they have a lot of players but big deal the controls just are no where in the same league of fun as PC. Facebook limits and lags to much I would rather the real client. When I first first first started playing graal I cannot even fathom how many players were on. It simply was not in my mind at all. I was interested in playing a game, not looking at a number. The adventures, the exploring the game play was just nice. And I can honestly say even in the 80-120 player count range I never really interacted with more then 10-20 players in a level at any 1 time and that would be considered sparing, or events. Most of the questing I did I was the only player in the quest with MAYBE 1 or 2 other players randomly around the world. And it was fun, I didn't care how many people were around I was on a mission and I succeeded.