Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sephiroth View Post
Just my take. I've never really seen the need for layers. In my opinion the layer editor is just a cop-out for LATs that don't know how to be creative with one layer.
That's silly. It's an advancement of technology in terms of Graal. That's like saying GS2 is a copout for those who can't figure out how to be creative with GS1. What about those who ARE creative with one layer? Wouldn't more layers just mean more creativity? Also, even if it is a copout, if it achieves something above the skill level that they would achieve with only one layer, isn't that good too?

Layers don't just offer more possibility with levels, but it simplifies tiles. You no longer need to use tons of images to draw things over tiles. No need for treetop images. No more need for tons of tiles for each grass, dirt, water or whatever a corner of the house will be drawn over. And for the lazy, it means that it will just look better because players don't have to see such simple tile errors.

Also Fry, I had to work with Gonstruct earlier to edit scripts in a layered level, and I noticed a very annoying bug: Every time you opened a level in Gonstruct, it appends an empty line to each NPC's script. So after opening a level a few times, each script ends up with a ton of empty lines. The level I was working with had like 70 NPCs in it... so ya, that was a ton of empty lines to clean out and actually made me resort to editing the level via notepad instead.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Layers don't just offer more possibility with levels, but it simplifies tiles. You no longer need to use tons of images to draw things over tiles. No need for treetop images. No more need for tons of tiles for each grass, dirt, water or whatever a corner of the house will be drawn over. And for the lazy, it means that it will just look better because players don't have to see such simple tile errors.
This is indeed the main advantage of layers, and why we decided to use them everywhere on Maloria. Not to mention that you don't need grass-on-grass, grass-on-dirt and grass-on-lava tiles since you can just have grass-on-transparency and place them however you want. Opens up a lot of spots for new tiles.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
This is indeed the main advantage of layers, and why we decided to use them everywhere on Maloria. Not to mention that you don't need grass-on-grass, grass-on-dirt and grass-on-lava tiles since you can just have grass-on-transparency and place them however you want. Opens up a lot of spots for new tiles.
Ya, when I make levels I tend to spend more time creating custom tiles to make cliffs tile over water and such, for example, than I do on the level itself. However many people DON'T bother to do these simple things and layers can help players tap a creativity that they don't get to experienced when limited by a pics1 they don't intend to edit with tiles.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
I don't really know what everyone's complaining about, I rather like less cluttered detail. Not to mention it makes sense in terms of a village setting. Now maybe if it was a abandoned village and the grounds weren't taken care of or walked on a lot, maybe you would add in more.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Der Kapitän
superzx14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to superzx14 Send a message via MSN to superzx14
Can somone make a quick video on how to use this?

Last edited by superzx14; 01-23-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
This layer thingy, is supposed to be like the RPG Maker yes?