Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Playerworld Staff Openings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Cassini
defaultaccount is on a distinguished road
Post SG [Skill Games]

Hi, i'm posting this for hirings on a new server i'm planning on creating. It is in inspiration of a book I read a long time ago called 'Enders Game', heavily focused on tactics and skill. I have played Era for a long time, I was a gani/graphics on Era for a few years as well. Alot of people know me as 'Take'. So, hello to everyone who doesn't know me. This is the first time I considered going through with making this, but I've been thinking of developing it for a few years now..

Before you read all this, alot of this has not been really worked out and is off the top of my head, though I've got a in-depth vision of what I'm really trying to achieve with this.

How it works:

I'm planning on making a game that focuses on training within teams [platoons] that battle each other in gravity environments using 'wall bounces' and firing for direction and speed, these 'games' count towards a point. These platoons have a team commander that directs the team, and extensively trains they're team in this gravity environment, each time being a new simulation. Each point also equals to a perk for the team, this could translate to a negative or positive, perk being decided on by a hierarchy of these games. I'm trying to create a system to these 'games' to push these platoon teams as much as possible to achieve. A example of a 'perk' could be a decided trade of a member from one platoon into another. The games are scheduled. The two teams that are scheduled next to fight decide on a time.

At the end of each semester of games, the two top teams battle specific type of battle decided and designed by the hierarchy.

There is also Scrims that platoons can have, they are a more of a spontaneous type of game where less people are fighting [however many are online at the time] in the game, with random settings: regular gravity, stronger gravity, ect, and randomized levels. Also having events in modern settings, for all players playing.

I made this a few months ago its a good Example of what this grav system and movement might look like.

[http://i54.tinypic.com/2la7tpf.png

The guns are split up in tiers. Tiers have to be unlocked and bought, as well of the guns. All guns have a good amount of tactical attachments that have to be bought and unlocked. An example of gun statistics:

---------------------------------------------
MP5K

Type:UZI/SMG

(SPREAD: , SPEED: , RELOAD: , MOBILITY: , ROF: , RANGE:, FREEZE: )

spread: vhigh , speed: medium-high , mobility:vhigh reload: medium-low , rof: high , range: vlow , freeze: vlow

clipsize -32

upgrades

[foregrip - -spread, +mobility, +freeze]

[extended mag] +32 rounds +mobility 15% of ++reload

[lw-stock] -spread ++mobility +range +freeze

[full stock] --spread ++mobility +range +freeze

[special upgrade , [CHALANGE]
[F] [extend stock closed] -spread +freeze [extend stock open] -spread +freeze +mobility +range
[F][AUTO][Scope] ---spread, ++freeze ---Rof ++Range,,, + mobility

[Rank upgrade]
Silencer ---spread -speed --range
---------------------------------------------

The game heavily focuses on platoons and the games as well as rank. Rank is decided on a hierarchy as well as a systems based rank. Other than just that there is Tier lobbies as well as a global lobby. These lobbies have a battle room that players can just enter and fight. Example being ULMS on Era, having it change from no gravity and and normal gravity environments by commanders scouting for members. As well as having gravity spars, team spars, and individual ranked spars.

The hierarchy would be very in-depth and built as the community is built. But people would be put in place solely for understanding the mechanics of the games, for the systems and games i'm trying to create. 'Games and Theory', would even be a staff position for the server. This hierarchy would be put into place to push the platoons as much as possible, to make the game as balanced as possible as it progresses and to push everything to the limit to say the least. If anyone read Enders Game, can thoroughly understand the purpose and duty of this hierarchy.

I plan on hosting the server next month. I want to have mostly everything done, except the gravity systems. That being said, they're isn't very much development more than these systems. I want to it as simplistic as possible.

What I need is what I was talking about before. Someone who could fill a position as 'Games and Theory'. As well as a level artist who thinks they could design specific grav levels.

I also really could use some help on a few tiles, and graphics. Not much graphic art is going to be needed but I'd like to go beyond the bare minimum as far as graphics. Though either way there wont be many..

and a dedicated scripter to head the project. . .

sorry I couldn't be more clear on all of this, but I'm sure you get the jest, I know I can create this..

Last edited by defaultaccount; 12-14-2010 at 07:08 PM..
Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
This looks like it'd be fun to script for, actually. I could write some custom algorithms for collision with line segments and then do some quadtree-like partitioning of the level.. Wouldn't be some bad practice for my own projects outside of Graal, either. Writing GS2 always helps me clear my thoughts about moving it over to C++.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Me.
RegretZ will become famous soon enough
With this one post you have officially earned my total respect. Ender's game is one of my FAVORITE books, and I think this is an excellent idea. I'd love to help in any way I can.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 PM
scooter123 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultaccount View Post
<snip>
Not in love with it and I don't like gun servers

Last edited by Darlene159; 12-15-2010 at 01:58 AM..
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 AM
GFX
DemonSpawnn will become famous soon enough
This server sounds interesting, I sure hope it turns out well.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Cassini
This is regarding alot of people who know me, or know me personally on Era..I'd like to reiterate something regarding the idea.. I'm not making this or what I wrote that for say.. personal gain or anything like that. I wrote that in inspiration of a idea, and years and years of playing graal and Era.

Anyone interested in the idea should not be looking at as a personal thing. I don't want anyone to think they are working for me, or working to make something of mine. I'd want people who have inspiration from the idea, working towards creating this

I don't take credit or.. I understand that it is a group effort and don't really want to be looked at as the figurehead of this. More as the behind mastermind of these systems. I'm a pretty good player on Era, and I know I can create this the right way, the way i envision it.

I want staff who are have inspiration for the idea is what i'm really trying to say, than people seeing it as working below me because that's really not what it is..

I'd also like to thank everyone for taking the time to read all of this, thank you

Last edited by defaultaccount; 12-15-2010 at 04:27 AM..
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
You're welcome. A+++++ Server Hiring thread would read again.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Cassini
Lightbulb

I motivate everyone to read this book as well. Coming from me, , It's very relevant to these days and 'government' and war. A very strange book that will. stick with me.. for a very long time. It's hard to explain it, but it's Very significant in what it does say in it, and a very good book either way . Reading about the book wont tell you nothing really about it, or the Giant.

The book is very strange, and holds a very deep significance in it. Anyone who has read it could tell you this. I've read alot of books in high school, good ones and well known ones, none have really changed my entire perspective on everything and helped me understand things I wouldn't have known. It is alot like this short story, but the book explains the math behind everything, and warfare. The book itself is engenius. VERY significant , and very relevant.

Example being this short story that also holds alot of 'meaning' in this Day and Age.

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

Uhh . and kudos to anyone who reads it. The book, or really understands the story.

Last edited by defaultaccount; 12-15-2010 at 05:56 AM..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 AM
ω
Seeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Seeya
Yea. That's a good story.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 PM
scooter123 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultaccount View Post
This is regarding alot of people who know me, or know me personally on Era..I'd like to reiterate something regarding the idea.. I'm not making this or what I wrote that for say.. personal gain or anything like that. I wrote that in inspiration of a idea, and years and years of playing graal and Era.

Anyone interested in the idea should not be looking at as a personal thing. I don't want anyone to think they are working for me, or working to make something of mine. I'd want people who have inspiration from the idea, working towards creating this

I don't take credit or.. I understand that it is a group effort and don't really want to be looked at as the figurehead of this. More as the behind mastermind of these systems. I'm a pretty good player on Era, and I know I can create this the right way, the way i envision it.

I want staff who are have inspiration for the idea is what i'm really trying to say, than people seeing it as working below me because that's really not what it is..

I'd also like to thank everyone for taking the time to read all of this, thank you
Peoples visions can not always be made into reality in Graal's current state but good luck

Also, sadly, people will never be equal in the sense of strength agility and other things. Others can always be smarter than others. Sometimes book smarts or world smarts. The story was okay, but I don't like how it says "They were equal every which way." Even in fiction or nonfiction equality can only go so far. Usually most people aren't equal all the way, but try to be as equal as possible with everyday rights and permission. Good story, I'd rate it 3.5/5
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Cassini
yeah.

i know i said i was going to have it hosted by now, but i'm planning on buying it sometime this week or next week.

hm hm uh, I really could use some help with some graphics. There will not be much as we start off. PM me if you want to help out a bit..
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope you realize that you won't be able to name your server Skill Games, and that you're really going have to re-think the name.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Cassini
well thats the thing. I'm trying to relate how to make this true to the vision i'd imagine it, with making it successful within graal. My idea of what it's going to be is constantly changing and i'm trying to figure it out within myself to what I need to do to make this. this is coming from someone who played Era, so I'm really trying to figure out all the mathematics before I dirasticly jump into it. I've said this alot but I want to do it right. I'll be putting more effort into making all this soon reality, Though, I will need support.

I'm not asking for alot of help. But I really could use someone half decent with pixel art. There will not be much to do at all that I can promise you..

I put together some concept art just now after working a little more on the tileset. I tossed in some of the gun graphics I done aswell. None of this is really done most of the guns I'm really not to impressed with honestly, but the mechanics of the game is really what I'm going to be focused on once it's hosted. But this kind of gives you a idea of what i'm doing, and that I'm actually doing something.

http://tinypic.com/r/5nsyo9/7

it's not much to look at, at all, but there will be more to come as a progress.

Last edited by defaultaccount; 01-03-2011 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
I hope you realize that you won't be able to name your server Skill Games, and that you're really going have to re-think the name.
this.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Chaotic
gwFCCtennis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gwFCCtennis
What became of this?