Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Graal for android

I've been hoping for Graal for android since the day the G1 came out at t-mobile and I got it. I now have a Galaxy S II and would like to be able to use it to play Graal... Release please.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
Which android´s would be able to play Graal anyway? Got no real clue of them yet.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Id say any gingerbread operating system
Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Just haven't heard any news on it
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Should be hearing more about Graal on Android throughout February/March, but the client for the most part works pretty well already. Some bugs need to be fixed before it can be released though (device identification is still an issue right now), but in terms of performance, it worked well on my Nexus One and Motorola XOOM, and Twinny had success with it on his Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 also. Similarly spec'd devices should be alright with it.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned
Is it possible top get into beta testing for it do I have something to do 8 hours a day at work
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
Is it possible top get into beta testing for it
I'm curious about this as well

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
iPaul has a little shameless behaviour in the past
omg hurry uPPPPPPPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
iPaul is my favorite player on Era.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
CCZCOOL is on a distinguished road
I would pay much more for it to be able to play on actual computer servers and not on the dumbed-down, dull, limited systems such as are found on idevices/facebook. <3

I would pay to have this on beta even, buggy and all.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
p2 @ 233mhz ran graal fine and it looked about the same ;]
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned
Yeah my phone is like 100 times better than that
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
Is it possible top get into beta testing for it do I have something to do 8 hours a day at work
Not sure if there will be an open beta test yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCZCOOL
I would pay much more for it to be able to play on actual computer servers and not on the dumbed-down, dull, limited systems such as are found on idevices/facebook. <3
In practice this is not very straight-forward; PC servers are notoriously bad for running lots of clientside scripts and timeouts which slow down Graal on slower devices. I noticed that a lot of PC servers were quite playable on the XOOM tablet (aside from the differences in controls), but were very laggy on the Nexus One. I've yet to test it with the Galaxy Nexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono
p2 @ 233mhz ran graal fine and it looked about the same ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical
Yeah my phone is like 100 times better than that
A lot of the problem here is that devices use frequency scaling to reduce the processor speed in order to save battery, and more to the point, that the graphics pipelines in most devices are a lot slower than in PCs. For example, we noticed a big difference in performance on Classic iPhone on older devices when not drawing the nicknames. It's not "just" the CPU speed that makes a difference. Touchscreen drivers also use a huge amount of processing time, which means if the device is actively tracking your fingers at a given moment, that's much less processing power available to the applications until you stop touching the screen.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
Not sure if there will be an open beta test yet.

In practice this is not very straight-forward; PC servers are notoriously bad for running lots of clientside scripts and timeouts which slow down Graal on slower devices. I noticed that a lot of PC servers were quite playable on the XOOM tablet (aside from the differences in controls), but were very laggy on the Nexus One. I've yet to test it with the Galaxy Nexus.

A lot of the problem here is that devices use frequency scaling to reduce the processor speed in order to save battery, and more to the point, that the graphics pipelines in most devices are a lot slower than in PCs. For example, we noticed a big difference in performance on Classic iPhone on older devices when not drawing the nicknames. It's not "just" the CPU speed that makes a difference. Touchscreen drivers also use a huge amount of processing time, which means if the device is actively tracking your fingers at a given moment, that's much less processing power available to the applications until you stop touching the screen.
I'm not a handheld-savvy like you seem to be. Do the devices still throttle power when connected to something providing it power? I wouldn't mind being able to play on an almost-real PC server, on a tablet/phone if I had to be plugged into a wall as much as I mind playing Graal on an iphone. I have the app...I just cannot tolerate all the features which have been eliminated or how difficult it has become just to hold a conversation with another player. So I don't play it on the iphone. If I could access UN (for example) from a handheld portable device, and be able to see a playerlist, to play events, and to chat with my friends...this would totally be awesome.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Script-fu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCZCOOL View Post
I'm not a handheld-savvy like you seem to be. Do the devices still throttle power when connected to something providing it power? I wouldn't mind being able to play on an almost-real PC server, on a tablet/phone if I had to be plugged into a wall as much as I mind playing Graal on an iphone.
Depending on the device, the frequency scaling either will take place to a lesser extent when connected to AC power, or it'll simply run the CPU at normal power until being disconnected again. The limiting factor tends not to be just the CPU though, but also the graphics capability of the device and memory available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCZCOOL View Post
I have the app...I just cannot tolerate all the features which have been eliminated or how difficult it has become just to hold a conversation with another player. So I don't play it on the iphone. If I could access UN (for example) from a handheld portable device, and be able to see a playerlist, to play events, and to chat with my friends...this would totally be awesome.
This is quite a real possibility as far as tablets are concerned, but I think an unlikely one still. The problem still lies in the fact that most servers are not equipped to deal with touchscreen-only players properly; there are years of scripts on the PC servers which were never designed with touch users in mind. My server (Rudora) is a good concept of both PC and touch players being supported equally, but a lot of the code was written to be that way. Unfortunately Stefan is not as keen on the scripting on Rudora if it were to be used for a mobile server, preferring to replace it with the code that is used on Classic iPhone instead.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
Depending on the device, the frequency scaling either will take place to a lesser extent when connected to AC power, or it'll simply run the CPU at normal power until being disconnected again. The limiting factor tends not to be just the CPU though, but also the graphics capability of the device and memory available.

This is quite a real possibility as far as tablets are concerned, but I think an unlikely one still. The problem still lies in the fact that most servers are not equipped to deal with touchscreen-only players properly; there are years of scripts on the PC servers which were never designed with touch users in mind. My server (Rudora) is a good concept of both PC and touch players being supported equally, but a lot of the code was written to be that way. Unfortunately Stefan is not as keen on the scripting on Rudora if it were to be used for a mobile server, preferring to replace it with the code that is used on Classic iPhone instead.
And for those tablets/phones that have attachable keyboards? Asus EEE Transformer 1/2, Atrix 4g, etc. Couldn't those use standard coding? Obviously a few tweaks would be required but the majority of the scripts are designed to run with a keyboard and these have keyboards. Thanks for responding though.