Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Smelly Phoenix
Lord_Conorr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Conorr Send a message via MSN to Lord_Conorr Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Conorr
Unhappy Slow Client Startup

Whenever I first boot up my laptop and run graal(v5), the client takes about 20-30 minutes to load and slows my laptop down A LOT, sometimes freezing it for a few seconds at a time. I was searching around the forums (with no luck) to find this problem, but I didn't find anything. I was just looking for help on how to fix it, or if anyone had a similar problem that was fixed. Also, although my other games run fine, Graal seems to like to take it's time loading. Why?

Here are some of my comp stats:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 5517
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.08
Processor: n/a
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1788MB RAM
Page File: 1619MB used, 1957MB available
Windows Dir: CWindows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Hopefully that helps..
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Do you have a large Graal folder? Try turning on 'use filename cache' in the options. This will cache the Graal folder the next time it's opened, and then it won't have to scan it anymore.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Smelly Phoenix
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Conorr Send a message via MSN to Lord_Conorr Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Conorr
It's already checked off, and my graal folder is only about 162mb large.

Also, after running graal once on my laptop, it loads instantly the second time. However, the first startup is still slow as heck(like I said). I don't get it.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
If your hard drive is very slow, it is possible that after loading it the first time, the files get buffered into memory, making the next load considerably faster. Or it could be some other problem.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Smelly Phoenix
Possibly, but if it were slow, wouldn't the rest of my games and programs take up just as much time/memory(if not not more) to load? Hmmm..
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
knightfire35 is on a distinguished road
Do you have any other programs running at start up preventing it from opening?

I'm pretty sure you can check your startup programs by typing /msconfig in run.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Smelly Phoenix
Usually I only have Microsoft Essentials and MSN running when I startup, and they don't really do that much.

I think I'll try reinstalling Graal again to see if that does anything...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
The Don
GoldLust is on a distinguished road
Try re installing graal and if does not work then your laptop needs more RAM. I just got a new laptop yesterday and its fast as hell :P
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Re-install Graal to a new folder.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Buy a processor.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:47 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Buy a processor.
I love you. LOL.

EDIT: Someone rep this man.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 AM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldLust View Post
Try re installing graal and if does not work then your laptop needs more RAM. I just got a new laptop yesterday and its fast as hell :P
More RAM does not increase speed. And since Graal loads up quickly after the first time, I don't believe it has much of anything to do with his computer specs.

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely sounds like some sort of cache problem. Restart your laptop, and WITHOUT starting Graal, go to your Graal folder and check out FILENAMECACHE.txt. If all is well it should be full of all kinds of goodies that help speed up starting time. If it's not full, then it's having to cache each time(or possibly only when you restart your laptop), for some reason.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Conorr View Post
It's already checked off
It should be checked (on)
Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It should be checked (on)
He used some pretty bad wording there :P 'checked off' is also used for when you have something checked. So it can either mean he has it off, or that he checked it 'off'. So ya...