Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 04:37 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomuskus View Post
G-Construct recognizes GS2, but you can't play the levels in it yet.
It doesn't recognize GS2. It uses GS2 syntax highlighting. I could put some PHP or even Java in there and it wouldn't know anything was wrong.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Personally I was kind of hoping that someone else would jump on the project. You can pretty much edit levels at this point, so I am not very motivated to tack on random features.
I found it was lacking in some areas to the point I couldn't use it. Also the fact that it didn't have layer support meant it didn't offer enough for me to move over from the current editor.

Mainly it had problems saving options/tile definitions. I don't quite remember though.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I found it was lacking in some areas to the point I couldn't use it. Also the fact that it didn't have layer support meant it didn't offer enough for me to move over from the current editor.

Mainly it had problems saving options/tile definitions. I don't quite remember though.
The version in the source repository does saving and creating of tile definitions, could probably test that a bit and then update the executable.

Also if you could name some of the areas where it is lacking, they can maybe be fixed if they are reasonable, I just haven't had much time in the last few months, so not much has happened. The problem with most tile editing related changes is that they are personal preferences, in the future there should probably be a special options dialog for selection/tile behavior.

And the problem with layers is that there are some implementation obscurities in how Stefan intend(ed) to implement them in the Graal client, since, considering they are not even "officially" supported right now, there's not much information about it. That, and the actual usefulness of them (maybe someone could link a level where they are used?).

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post
That, and the actual usefulness of them?
As stated by others in this thread (and other threads), the biggest plus with using layers is to be able to use a foreground and then have tiles with transparency drawn on top of them so you won't have to make another of the same tile with a different foreground for each foreground type.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
Quote:
Also if you could name some of the areas where it is lacking, they can maybe be fixed if they are reasonable, I just haven't had much time in the last few months, so not much has happened. The problem with most tile editing related changes is that they are personal preferences, in the future there should probably be a special options dialog for selection/tile behavior.
If you could get the flood fill finished, that would help a lot. Another thing I could think of is support for loading gmaps.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by napo_p2p View Post
If you could get the flood fill finished, that would help a lot.
A semi-recent source repository version supports flood fill already.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Little bump, but, stuff like this is the main usefulness of layers - and yes, we DO need an editor that supports them.

Credits to Angelus for the level.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Any chance you could post the level?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Master of Puppets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Any chance you could post the level?
If I'm not entirely wrong, the actual level is only on one layer. I think Angelus replicated it by using several images to make it look like it was layers, I remember him always saying how much layers would make it less complicated.

Basically, it would be divided in:
  • Layer 1 (lowest) - Some landscaping.
  • Layer 2 - The actual walkable part of the level, the part of the screenshot that's on the top.

The cloud images would also be placed on Layer 1, to make it look like layer 2 is above them.

Layers are 100% about making eye candy.

Last edited by xXziroXx; 12-03-2008 at 09:54 PM..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Is it actually possible to assign NPCs to layers? As far as I remember the tile-layer is a property exclusive to tiles.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Master of Puppets
Quote:
Is it actually possible to assign NPCs to layers? As far as I remember the tile-layer is a property exclusive to tiles.
Not as far as I know, no. But I remember Zero (zokemon) displaying an image below a layer, although I can't remember how he did it.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
De Phet
XdNemesisXd is on a distinguished road
Looks nice it could b e like Heven lol
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Tilelayers are all bunched together in one actual visiblity layer (right under layer 0 for TShowimgs and such). Because of this, you can't place anything inbetween any tilelayers; only above and below all of them. Placing something above is obvious but to place something behind it, you have to actually make a GUI object and move it behind GraalControl. So no, npcs can't be behind tilelayers.

Sorry!

And yeah, I haven't been up with Graal and all but did Stefan ever fix those external windows? If so I could have my built-in level editor done...

Tags
editor, levels, linux, mac