Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2003, 11:33 AM
VIP runned out
ETD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by konidias
if I'm forced to pay just so I can have an npc server while developing my playerworld.
Do you know how lucky you are to be able to develope your server WITH an NPC server there?

you know, you could always try making your server the old fashioned way... offline, like most of the rest of us
=X
Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ETD

Do you know how lucky you are to be able to develope your server WITH an NPC server there?

you know, you could always try making your server the old fashioned way... offline, like most of the rest of us
=X

Some servers, such as Oasis, are so complex that the NPC server is needed for the completion of much developmental work.
Version: 3.12
GO d+ s++:+ !a C++ UL+(UL+++)@ P+ L+(++)>+++ E---- W++@ N- !o ?K w(w--) !O !M@ !V PS- PE+ Y PGP t+ 5 X R tv(tv+) b++(b+)>b++++ DI(DI+) D-- G e->e++++ h! !r y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Old 05-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff

Some servers, such as Oasis, are so complex that the NPC server is needed for the completion of much developmental work.
Yeah, like the fact that everything important needs to be serverside so that it's safer against cheats. I have a new item system and it works with strings edited on the server, meaning I can't do a lot of stuff clientside.

It's like taking steps back for no reason. Why do I have to suffer not having an NPC server just because that's how it was done in the past? This isn't the past, and playerworlds rely more and more on NPC servers for a lot of things.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 05-01-2003, 02:45 AM
VIP runned out
Quote:
This isn't the past, and playerworlds rely more and more on NPC servers for a lot of things.
Then why not give all good developing PWs an NPC server to work with?

don't get me wrong, i think Oasis will be great... but expecting special treatment isn't something i like to see from someone.

Just to give an example... EverWorld... the whole server was made offline... they sent it in around January i think (maybe febuary)... and it is STILL in the reviewing prossess, even though it passed the first level of reviews before Angel quit (meaning only Nem, and Stefan have to pass it) Yet it is still being reviewed, after many months...

Whereas Shifting Ages was STARTED in January... their tileset is still being worked on, and i dunno about number of levels, or quests, or anything... but they already have a test server.

I do agree that all servers are different... and servers of higher quality should be given more for their hard work... But still, if a PW is good enough to go online, then it's good enough to go online... a server either passes, or fails... if a server passes, then i think it should be treated just like any other server that passes... know what i mean?
--------------------------
summery - if a server is good enough to go online, then it should be treated just like any other server that is good enough to go online... even if one is of higher quality.
-------------------------
and anyways, i don't think any servers that are up now would have to worry about paying... i think this is just for NEW servers which do not wish to get online the traditional way (PWA), or wish to stay totally private...
Old 05-02-2003, 05:27 AM
cody1990 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cody1990 Send a message via Yahoo to cody1990
how about you give the Playerworld owners the ability to host on their own servers or yours and $3 a month for npc server
Old 05-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Goon
Johnny_5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Johnny_5
Yea , why dont they just hand them the source code.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:38 AM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Quote:

Yeah, like the fact that everything important needs to be serverside so that it's safer against cheats. I have a new item system and it works with strings edited on the server, meaning I can't do a lot of stuff clientside.

It's like taking steps back for no reason. Why do I have to suffer not having an NPC server just because that's how it was done in the past? This isn't the past, and playerworlds rely more and more on NPC servers for a lot of things.
Yes I know what you mean. It's impossible to do anything worthwhile without starting most of the development while already online.

But I don't see how you can do it without 2-3 people online to test.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 05-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Criminal X
PrinceDark will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by ETD

Just to give an example... EverWorld... the whole server was made offline... they sent it in around January i think (maybe febuary)... and it is STILL in the reviewing prossess, even though it passed the first level of reviews before Angel quit (meaning only Nem, and Stefan have to pass it) Yet it is still being reviewed, after many months...
The reason Everworld isn't up right now is because Nemesis has it on a waiting list of things to do. He said he's most likely going to fire Arcadius for what Arc did to Moonie's guild and not allow it to go up.
According to the rules, if a Manager quits or gets fired while the playerworld is not public it will be shut down.

This is what I was informed of.

Criminal X -Everworld Admin-
Old 05-02-2003, 03:00 PM
US Marine
Soul-Blade is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Soul-Blade
Quote:
Originally posted by ETD

Then why not give all good developing PWs an NPC server to work with?

don't get me wrong, i think Oasis will be great... but expecting special treatment isn't something i like to see from someone.

Whereas Shifting Ages was STARTED in January... their tileset is still being worked on, and i dunno about number of levels, or quests, or anything... but they already have a test server.

I do agree that all servers are different... and servers of higher quality should be given more for their hard work... But still, if a PW is good enough to go online, then it's good enough to go online... a server either passes, or fails... if a server passes, then i think it should be treated just like any other server that passes... know what i mean?
--------------------------
summery - if a server is good enough to go online, then it should be treated just like any other server that is good enough to go online... even if one is of higher quality.
-------------------------
and anyways, i don't think any servers that are up now would have to worry about paying... i think this is just for NEW servers which do not wish to get online the traditional way (PWA), or wish to stay totally private...
Wanmandan or whatever owns everworld? I hope it does not get up. He IMs me giving me crap becasue I got up and he didn't. Should tell you a thing or 2 about his PW...he is clearly not a mature, responsible owner so I think he should not get a server.

As for being online, it is unfair. But that is life. There are only 2 other worlds I think look good, and they are both online (DK and Oasis). I think there is a good chance yours will to, but it appears in the classic format. My own PW, Oasis, and DK are bring something new and original to graal, just as Graal Kingdoms did. And that is exactly what graal needs.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Soul-Blade

<yup>
But the 'new' stuff isn't very popular it seems. If you start adding custom bodies, and RP, and big GFX, and custom HP and life systems, it:

1.) Doesn't appeal to lower connection people
2.) Puts off PKers
3.) Lags and isnt as smooth as normal control systems

Overall its okay for something new, but as we can clearly see from UN, I would have thought Era would be something cool and new so that all players played that, but still UN gets more than Era. If you take the parts that makes a PW good for players, it no longer appeals. Im sure those will get a fairly high PlayerCount, but I honestly doubt it will be excesivly high.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Telmont Bandit
draygin is on a distinguished road
Partly right, Era was above UN until they started resetting, going private etc.. these snafu's annoyed players and had them go else where. UN has an established playerbase. People have history and know each other. They dont want to be newbies all over again and build up status etc... New players come click on the playerworld with the largest population and go there. So UN stays at the top. A player world with nice graphics, realtivly bug free, no major foul ups such as resets just a week or two after release, not going private again etc.. could easily remove un from the top. The only hard part would be getting people interested in starting all over.

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 05-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Yeah. Although I personally, don't like RP on graal, as I am yet to see it being done well. Also alot of classic members just like a good PW to be on. So it could be held against them with all new systems.

And yes, Era lost most players through resets etc...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:02 PM
VIP runned out
Quote:
Wanmandan or whatever owns everworld? I hope it does not get up. He IMs me giving me crap becasue I got up and he didn't. Should tell you a thing or 2 about his PW...he is clearly not a mature, responsible owner so I think he should not get a server.
Umm... Arcadius is owner 0.o' I think you're thinking of a different PW...
Quote:
I think there is a good chance yours will to, but it appears in the classic format.
Thank you, and yes, it's classic... but i think graal not only needs new things, but also improvments to the 'classic' style... I think that a classic style server, which is of high quality, and is very active (like, new things being added often, and lots of events, and things to do) will be something that a lot of people will want...

most servers have stopped updating regularly (like adding new quests, and NPC's and such), and I would like to change that... add a new quest every few weeks, add a new event every few weeks... and especially add new levels every day
=0
i know it'll be hard, but i think my team is ready for it
Old 05-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Truckin Up
Milkdude99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Milkdude99
Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceDark

The reason Everworld isn't up right now is because Nemesis has it on a waiting list of things to do. He said he's most likely going to fire Arcadius for what Arc did to Moonie's guild and not allow it to go up.
According to the rules, if a Manager quits or gets fired while the playerworld is not public it will be shut down.

This is what I was informed of.

Criminal X -Everworld Admin-
Just to set the record straight , it is my Guild not Moonies . I am the one that started the Guild " Moon Family".

Moon God
Graal.net

---------- Home---------

Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Quote:
Originally posted by ETD

Umm... Arcadius is owner 0.o' I think you're thinking of a different PW...

Thank you, and yes, it's classic... but i think graal not only needs new things, but also improvments to the 'classic' style... I think that a classic style server, which is of high quality, and is very active (like, new things being added often, and lots of events, and things to do) will be something that a lot of people will want...
This is what Rudora should be. We are not having over the top things that are pointless, and are trying to offer alot of things to do. Most PWs got carried away when none P2P was taken away, and they all merged into a modified mess of levels and script.

We are trying to offer graal players what most servers lost, a good place to hangout, things to do, lots of events, updates and most of all they lost the old feel to graal as all PWs have modified their levels into an over-the-top mess of tiles.

Anyway, enough about Rudora, as this is not 100% on-topic.