Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
here's a good proposal

one of graal's unique features is the ability to choose from a list servers that each have different types of gameplay features.

era is based around pking and if you say otherwise, you're wrong. if you say you want to change that, you're stupid. if you want to play or develop non-pk related content, why not just go to a different server? that's the beauty of this game!

this part of a post in particular caught my attention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris
I think the idea of non pk items is awesome! On babylon, i loved using the swatter, on UN i loved the pointless items to use, etc..
what I don't understand is, if you love these items so much why don't you just go on a server based around "pointless items to use" (unholy nation) and play there? don't have the staff team mimic these things on era when they could be spending the time developing content that actually fits the server theme.

that's just how I see it. feel free to disagree.

I want this topic open for discussion. if someone starts getting out of hand, delete the post, don't lock the thread.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Professional Awesome Guy
vettefan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
era is based around pking and if you say otherwise, you're wrong. if you say you want to change that, you're stupid.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I agree that Era is based on PKing; what I said earlier was misinterpreted. However, this doesn't mean that Era can't involve some non-PK things as well. It's not like they subtract from the server.

It seems to me like releasing the instruments has brought a lot of people to Era who weren't here before. In any case, the release of the instruments has brought a lot more life into Era than many updates of the same caliber would.

However, Battle of the Bands was our last big project on the main server, and we are now going to resume work on the dev server.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Professional Awesome Guy
vettefan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
It seems to me like releasing the instruments has brought a lot of people to Era who weren't here before. In any case, the release of the instruments has brought a lot more life into Era than many updates of the same caliber would.
I don't really see people sitting in unstick me playing instruments as "life".
Seems kind of like dead weight to me.

Quote:
However, Battle of the Bands was our last big project on the main server, and we are now going to resume work on the dev server.
Not that this wasn't a good idea, it was a good way to put the instruments to use. But you guys took like, what, a month to prepare this event. And you only gave the winner 30k.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:01 AM
xChugxLifex
Quote:
I agree that Era is based on PKing; what I said earlier was misinterpreted. However, this doesn't mean that Era can't involve some non-PK things as well. It's not like they subtract from the server.
you're right, they don't subtract from the server. the thing is, I don't think you should be focusing on things like that right now. era has lacked a decent update in years. you guys put effort into an update with something the server isn't even based on. all I can say is, I'm extremely disappointed.

Quote:
the way I see it, you're attracting players that didn't play era before because they don't like pking. I don't see why they can't just stay on other servers if they want to do things that don't involve pking instead of making the staff team on era cater to their non-pk needs.

Last edited by Frankie; 05-04-2009 at 04:44 PM..
Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 AM
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
however, battle of the bands was our blaster

Teeth. Grip. Razor-sharp.
Bites hi-power, tear you apart.
Teeth. Grip. Razor-sharp.
Bites hi-power, tear you apart.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Name any successful server that focuses on ONE aspect of a game.

Look at zone for example. Average playercount: 3-7, it's all PK, but it gets boring after a while and people quit. There were many days on Era that i was completely bored. Now heres another way to look at this. Do you like businesses on Era? They are non pk features. In addition so are quests, etc.. When i say i want non pk stuff, this is what i mean. I don't mean i want the random items though i still believe some are entertaining like the Cards game on Classic.
I also still think music is another feature added to Era that adds more diversity. I also think adding more things will bring players to Era. The game is STILL based around pking, guns, etc... but has side items now
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Starting not to love you
Curt1zzle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Curt1zzle
Another great thread from the philosophical mind of Frankidomis.

This message has been deleted by Sam. Reason: you should better stop it now
Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
era is based around pking and if you say otherwise, you're wrong. if you say you want to change that, you're stupid. if you want to play or develop non-pk related content, why not just go to a different server? that's the beauty of this game!
I hope you realize that Era was one of the first playerworlds to make use of an economy, and that this was one of the features other playerworlds did not have at the time (as opposed to purely pking which was basically every other server but Valikorlia).And of course the whole modern + guns thing
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Mother FAQer
Xelnaga is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xelnaga Send a message via MSN to Xelnaga
Go buy a first person shooter rather than make a pointless thread and b*tch. Have you NOT payed attention to the game over the time you've played it? You're a miniscule little character riding horses and cutting bushes. Graal is the facebook of indie games.
HEY! lets make the gmap into a huge parking lot where everyone runs around with a handgun and shoots each other repetitively, that certainly won't get boring. You know, lets erase houses, businesses, events, instruments, and other systems that have no relevance to pking whatsoever.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
xChugxLifex
yeah, because I totally said to remove everything not related to pking. way to be relevant to the thread there champ

my argument isn't "get rid of everything not related to pking"

my argument isn't "don't ever develop anything not related to pking ever again"

my argument is, oh wait. I already posted it! way to read guys ^____^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
you're right, they don't subtract from the server. the thing is, I don't think you should be focusing on things like that right now. era has lacked a decent update in years. you guys put effort into an update with something the server isn't even based on. all I can say is, I'm extremely disappointed.
like I said, feel free to disagree!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Mother FAQer
Xelnaga is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xelnaga Send a message via MSN to Xelnaga
Quote:
yeah, because I totally said to remove everything not related to pking. way to be relevant to the thread there champ

my argument isn't "get rid of everything not related to pking"

my argument isn't "don't ever develop anything not related to pking ever again"

my argument is, oh wait. I already posted it! way to read guys ^____^

like I said, feel free to disagree!

Hey sport, You're implying that you want all non-pk related dev to be done on OTHER servers, or perhaps that isn't what you wrote here?

Quote:
if you want to play or develop non-pk related content, why not just go to a different server? that's the beauty of this game!
Once again, without a social aspect to era there would be no playercount. Which is why developing non-pk related things is an important aspect to the game. Maybe you should purchase some glasses.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
I won't call zephirot ignorant but I will say he's uninformed.

Frankie is right in that servers are unique and should try to stay within their theme. Its what sets them apart from other servers and draws in new players and keeps the server alive. Any community will grow old and die eventually without the influx of new generations.

Era is a modern, gang based server. Thats not to say it has to revolve only around guns though. I personally feel the instruments fit in quite well since music is also a huge part of the seedier side of life. Everything has a balance of some kind. In Era's case it also has legitimate businesses which are sometimes run by gangs (a cover for money laundering I'm sure) and sometimes run by the good guys. Housing is important cause you have to admit, they even have to have a place to sleep.

Anything revolving around big city life would fit into the theme. What I don't feel fits are things like swords. I also don't feel each server should create content just like every other server just because its popular there.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Goliath Online.
Aldaris is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions such as these have been tossed around for months now, and I think it's time to finally and formally take action!

I understand that the reset will indeed bring new life to Era, but what about the current Era? Shouldn't we test out these future 'changes' and see how the players (what makes ANY server run) feel about them?

I think before we focus on the 'side attractions,' we should focus on the core game play that defines what Era is about: gangs, and guns.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
xChugxLifex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
I think before we focus on the 'side attractions,' we should focus on the core game play that defines what Era is about: gangs, and guns.
bingo!