Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
Suggestion for new servers (formerly:Hey doods)

So as anyone can see our community is so spread out no new server has hit it big for a long time. exceptions being (Era, Zone, whatevs)

Everyone wants to make their own server and it is a giant waste of time.

perhaps if all the talented ppl get together and work together on something great than we could all have a sweet server to play on. (how graal fam did it back in the day)

I had a dream (MLK) and it was for ppl to stop wasting their $ and get together with a massive team of allstars instead of 20 diff poo servers and make something fun and exciting. Pro ppl stop being selfish and get together with your peers. you know who you are.

Last edited by Geno; 02-01-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
You need an idea that every one wants to be a part of answer it would have to be some thing original
Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I had a dream (MLK) and it was for ppl to stop wasting their $
It would be interesting to know how much of a bearing server rentals have had on PC Graal's financial viability over the years. Ofcourse now it seems a lot more players are purchasing gold despite the ridiculously inflated price, but a couple of years ago it seemed as if Graal was more reliant on server rentals.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
You really only need 2-4 highly motivated people to create a server, you could also do it all by yourself but you're more likely to burn out that way.

As a scripter I would rather document and make tools and frameworks that allow other developers to learn, create and innovate without the hassles of starting on a completely blank slate.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
i love ur sig
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Nice sig Geno, I have Haunter on XBL but never talked to the rest outside of Graal.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 PM
iphone era sad litle mads
Felix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Felix_Xenophobe
gengo
Originally Posted by Tashkin
I have done 10x the amount any previous EA has done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
What you need is Zone Police again.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4
You really only need 2-4 highly motivated people to create a server, you could also do it all by yourself but you're more likely to burn out that way.
So far, that's what I've basically been doing.

One other person has done the majority of scripts on my server, and I've been piecing together everything else.

But still, even with just two people we've gotten pretty far. I've been thinking of doing all our gmaps myself, but if I had the assistance of one or two more people I could have my hands free to work on stuff like our Quests and Bestiary.

Last edited by Draenin; 02-02-2012 at 06:09 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
I agree completely.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
I agree with this entirely.

Another problem (That at least, I've noticed) is that people want to make too much, too fast.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Bring back the old thread titlee!!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama
Another problem (That at least, I've noticed) is that people want to make too much, too fast.
Yeah, developers tend to get overly-ambitious very early on and they forget that making a server takes lots of small steps to create. They get too caught up in trying to make the big picture come together on its own instead of trying to fit together all the little pieces that are a part of that picture instead.

Last edited by Draenin; 02-02-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Yeah, developers tend to get overly-ambitious very early on and they forget that making a server takes lots of small steps to create. They get too caught up in trying to make the big picture come together on its own instead of trying to fit together all the little pieces that are a part of that picture instead.
Right.

Good Example: Bob wants to make an RPG server.

But he decides in order to feel like its begun, he wants to make the fighting system, health system and leveling system, ALL BEFORE he feels like it's a project worth finishing.

What people need to do is take on such a project and fraction it off by size and take the small parts down first.

Example to what I've said: Make a basic city, make the finer details such as create a store, people with simple dialogue and etc on until its finished.

You cant house a project if the box which you're containing it all in has no framing or structure.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
You cant house a project if the box which you're containing it all in has no framing or structure.
The perfect metaphor :0 :where's my drug pony:

Also I completely agree with what's being said about people trying to build the big picture without any real details. I thought it'd be rather obvious that it must be done though...
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post

As a scripter I would rather document and make tools and frameworks that allow other developers to learn, create and innovate without the hassles of starting on a completely blank slate.
100% correct. Infact, here's how the team would probably have to be composed as in order to keep within your number range, Anything less is simply impossible for a realistic and surviving workload for a server.

Team of 4 would have to be AT LEAST (This is for a dream group mind you.):
  • 1 Scripter/Effects(Blood and Skin of the group)
  • 1 GFX/Ganis Expert (Body and Imagination of the group)
  • 1 Writer/Leader (Mind(Producer) and Support(Guts) of the group)
  • 1 LAT/Sounds (Eyes and Ears of the group)

I made a comparison of this group for the symbiotic connection I see each role fills, I think you all can figure the deeper parts of the symbolism for yourself.

Feel free to agree or disagree.