Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2006, 04:05 AM
spydrct02 is on a distinguished road
I think Graal 3 renders with OpenGL/Direct 3D, or at least something other than Graal 2 and 4's DirectDraw. Graal 3D I think uses the Graal 3 client (or at least last time I could get on, it did), so I doubt any results we'd get off that can be compared to Graal 4. Graal 3 was the fastest client for me for regular Graal servers (non-3D), but also the buggiest. If Graal 3 could be developed to a usable state, I think that would easily be the best client choice (as far as performance) for people with OK video cards. Can't Graal 4 have an option like in Graal 3 to render with OpenGL, Direct3D, and DirectDraw? From experiences, the first two would solve this slow down problem.

There's probably no good reason to disable Graal 3D for "regular" P2P accounts. I think it's just being done to make VIP (and/or gold maybe?) subscribers feel like they're actually getting something for their money.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:30 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer graal use directdraw. I dont know why but in Graal3 I could kind of see small uh blurry flake like things. It didnt feel smooth like directdraw x=
Old 12-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Well I did say an option to choose it, as different computers might benefit from a certain one. In your case, DirectDraw; in mine, anything but DirectDraw.

Also, I think OpenGL always has some kind of vertical sync. Every 3D game I've played doesn't give that tearing whether it's on or off for OpenGL. Direct3D and DirectDraw give it, and it's pretty noticable on Graal even at the low 20 FPS it's locked to. If the vertical sync option didn't use around 30% more CPU, it'd be a useful feature as far as graphics.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Tįri o Taurė
ReBorn_Spirit is on a distinguished road
Well, now that my Graal is running on 64 bit XP I can tell you this.
The Newest drivers for 64 bit work great with graal and my NVIDIA card.

Oh and about what I said earlier, is true, but what you were talking about was a different rule of thumb. Rule of upgrading, which I rather not explain, as its too complex.

**Seems that the DirectDraw Graal uses has effect on Windows XP x64, slowing down a few animations here and there, also graal will slow down when too many people are around, or npc's

Last edited by ReBorn_Spirit; 12-03-2006 at 12:44 PM..
Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM
OK, explain why we should all restrict ourselves to 50 MHz processors that aren't broken.

Yes, the drivers for other OSs seem to work better. Maybe just an XP/ForceWare 32 bit driver problem? Even Vista ran fine with all 60+ services running, though a little slower than Linux, yet more consistent. In Linux, any hard drive activity would slow Graal down, but level changes were absolutely instant every time.

Still, before you say your Graal runs fast, try doing those tests in maxed fullscreen like in the two videos I've made. Good luck on not getting a failed, though, if you enter and exit too fast.

I ran Graal in 2048 x 2048 (highest it supports) today and discovered that the level change times were one full second on 66.00 ForceWare drivers. If I were to run on the same resolution on 90.00 drivers, that would likely be an easy 5 second lag on level changes. I'll eventually test that resolution on the newer drivers. There's at least one good thing I've found from that, though - throwing snowballs at people from 2 levels away can be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReBorn_Spirit View Post
Well, now that my Graal is running on 64 bit XP
**Seems that the DirectDraw Graal uses has effect on Windows XP x64, slowing down a few animations here and there, also graal will slow down when too many people are around, or npc's
Probably because DirectDraw is using all of your processor up. If there was an OpenGL mode, it'd use more video card and free up the processor, resulting in less/no lag.

Last edited by spydrct02; 12-03-2006 at 11:28 PM..
Old 12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Could add an option to start directly with OpenGL. By default we are using DirectX because it runs much better for most people and takes much less resources.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Could add an option to start directly with OpenGL. By default we are using DirectX because it runs much better for most people and takes much less resources.
But why are we experiencing this nvidia problem? It's been confirmed that I'm experiencing it too (I uploaded the video).
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 PM
For the people with more RAM and a higher end video card, OpenGL would work better, because they have the resources to use a faster mode. People with older hardware will run slower in OpenGL, because they don't have enough resources to use it, and so DirectX would benefit them because it uses less resources.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrct02 View Post
For the people with more RAM and a higher end video card, OpenGL would work better, because they have the resources to use a faster mode. People with older hardware will run slower in OpenGL, because they don't have enough resources to use it, and so DirectX would benefit them because it uses less resources.
I have a gig of RAM. I shouldn't have this level delay.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Same here, and same with everyone else that has a computer more than capable of running full speed without any slow downs. A "video card" mode like OpenGL should fix it.

Nice one minute response time, by the way.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Tįri o Taurė
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrct02 View Post
OK, explain why we should all restrict ourselves to 50 MHz processors that aren't broken.

Yes, the drivers for other OSs seem to work better. Maybe just an XP/ForceWare 32 bit driver problem? Even Vista ran fine with all 60+ services running, though a little slower than Linux, yet more consistent. In Linux, any hard drive activity would slow Graal down, but level changes were absolutely instant every time.

Still, before you say your Graal runs fast, try doing those tests in maxed fullscreen like in the two videos I've made. Good luck on not getting a failed, though, if you enter and exit too fast.

I ran Graal in 2048 x 2048 (highest it supports) today and discovered that the level change times were one full second on 66.00 ForceWare drivers. If I were to run on the same resolution on 90.00 drivers, that would likely be an easy 5 second lag on level changes. I'll eventually test that resolution on the newer drivers. There's at least one good thing I've found from that, though - throwing snowballs at people from 2 levels away can be fun.

Probably because DirectDraw is using all of your processor up. If there was an OpenGL mode, it'd use more video card and free up the processor, resulting in less/no lag.

Which processor? 0 or 1?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 AM
In the processes tab (task manager), it should only show the total CPU usage Graal is taking, and not which "processor" it's going to. If not, set the affinity to either one and check.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Tįri o Taurė
lol
You can set your affinity to either have the program run on processor 0 or 1
or both.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Yes, but following the total CPU usage through the performance tab's graphs isn't reliable for tracking one process, is it? To see the usage split through both cores, you have to be in the performance tab with the graphs. You want Graal's total usage, not split CPU usage.

Or do you mean there's a separate CPU percentage per core in the processes tab? I'm pretty sure the processes tab only shows the total amount the program is using. I could be wrong, though, I've not had a real chance to screw around with multi-core machines besides through VNC.

Maybe next time point out where in my post you were responding, so I know what you're actually asking. I was lost since the start, and this is the result.

I think by "which processor," you mean which core, but are you aware you only have one physical processor? Task manager shows two graphs, but both added up equal your processor. I said set Graal to one affinity so you don't have to add both up and get unreliable results in the graphs from other programs taking CPU usage too, but I said to do that IF you can't get the process' (Graal in this case) total usage reading some reason.

Last edited by spydrct02; 12-05-2006 at 09:57 AM..
Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Tįri o Taurė
Clarification for you. Windows and many other programs can run on core 0, while graal could run on its own on core 1 for an example. Now if graal locked up and used 100% of core 1. Why would I care now? I could use all of core 0 still to access all my programs and do whatever I so desired, because I still have a processor to use that isnt busy.

Setting Graal to a core 1 with affinity like that could easily solve any windows lagg I could possibly have.

And yes, it does have seperate CPU usage PER core. Meaning it would show up 2 graphs instead of just 1 total graph. To use Dual core or Dual Processors you need XP Profession or XP Professional x64. Because the Windows XP Home edition will not utilize more then 1 core at any time. Even if you had 3 or 4, it still would use only one with XP Home. That by the way, is something Microsoft doesn't try to tell you.