Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Having an election is just a waste of time, and going to extent to include player opinions into the election just drags it further, and the fact that you suggest that it should be a yearly repeatable event just adds for more wasted time.

If a server really needs a new server manager the PWA will/should take the appropriate action required.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
You should have an election, and then give the person who got the least number of votes manager...they'd probably do the best job.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
If a server really needs a new server manager the PWA will/should take the appropriate action required.
The PWA's decisions aren't always the greatest. The people they picked to replace Clash didn't do well at all.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Classic Developer
Grey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Grey
Elections for manager, no. Elections for PR related positions? Possibly.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDaFack View Post
Than how do countries work? Doesn't every president/priminister want to run the country there own way into a different direction?
too bad game management isnt a democracy huh? lets have an election for CEO positions as well, thats how countries are run right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
The PWA's decisions aren't always the greatest. The people they picked to replace Clash didn't do well at all.
Clash didn't really do anything but kill the server on purpose and then make demands for his new Valikorlia. Also most of Valikorlia are staff anyway so "voting" for your manager works. Doesn't work so well on servers with an actual playercount though.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
funny thing is, as terrible as the idea is, if it were implemented for Classic after the loss of Tyhm, Classic would have probably been better off.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Empress Door the Unhinged
Door is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to beholdDoor is a splendid one to behold
But seriously now gentlemen, I could see indirect elections being implemented--allowing players to place in non-public votes, then relying on the globals to act as the Electoral College. Voting should never be used to directly place someone into power, but to give globals an idea of how players feel? I don't see why not! (Well, I don't see why not when I factor out all the possibilities of this sort of thing going very badly. I just think it could be fun if given the right amount of credence.)

Last edited by pooper200000; 04-11-2010 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Reply to deleted post.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
funny thing is, as terrible as the idea is, if it were implemented for Classic after the loss of Tyhm, Classic would have probably been better off.
Well thats the thing. It will work on small servers but it does not scale well onto medium-large sized ones. Smaller servers have a really easy time weeding out idiots (i.e val's xenophobia) but on servers like UN the clueless are the majority.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Popularity contest aside, if there were an electoral process, qualified applicants would spend a year campaigning for themselves instead of working on the server.

Bad idea.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Elections for manager, no. Elections for PR related positions? Possibly.
Yes I like this, players should have some say in who is going to be patrolling them.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Days View Post
Yes I like this, players should have some say in who is going to be patrolling them.
He means "Player Relations" as in the real term, not Era and Zodiacs term..

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
He means "Player Relations" as in the real term, not Era and Zodiacs term..
What the definition of the "real term" im confused...
Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Days View Post
What the definition of the "real term" im confused...
Player Relations, isn't supposed to enforce anything, There job is to improve relations between staff and players, so its people like events team, faq.

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
WaDaFack is his ****ing account name, genius.

Last edited by Sam; 04-11-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 06:25 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Clash didn't really do anything but kill the server on purpose and then make demands for his new Valikorlia. Also most of Valikorlia are staff anyway so "voting" for your manager works. Doesn't work so well on servers with an actual playercount though.
You're basing all of this off of the current situation of Valikorlia. Back when we voted for Omake to be manager, we had a playercount 2 or 3 times greater than the one we have now on our best days, even eclipsing UN every now and then. We also had a smaller staff team than we have now. So, no, most of the players were not staff members.

Also, Omake did not come directly after Clash. The PWA (Bell, I think) removed Clash from his position. First to replace him, I think, was some kind of combination of Clash-era admins -- Zangus, maybe Setzer and some others. Then it was Amo, who let Aren (a NAT) take control of everything. Then somehow Army became manager, and he did a whole lot of nothing. Once Army quit, his co-manager decided to hold a vote for new management. The server was actually quite split between the two groups, who came to the campaign with new directions for the server and the experience and ability to pull everything off. We voted in Omake and things have been doing great, development-wise.

Also, just to reiterate, our playercount was considerably larger during that time, right up there with the current average playercounts of Zodiac and Era. So it can be done for 'medium-large' scale servers. The players simply have to know what they want and the people running for manager have to be able to deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Popularity contest aside, if there were an electoral process, qualified applicants would spend a year campaigning for themselves instead of working on the server.

Bad idea.
Are you really equating campaigns for manager of a GraalOnline server to a real-life campaign for political office? What do you think a GraalOnline campaign would consist of? Town hall meetings, party conventions, appearing on television news? I don't think it's even possible to spend all of your time campaigning to be a server manager, unless you only play Graal for like 15 minutes a day.