Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Zvarri!
benpoke103 will become famous soon enough
Our Current Progress

I think it's time I let you guys know what's been going on with 2k1, and how we are progressing.

Stefan was kindly nice enough to provide us a couple of backups which we were able to restore the server to a period of time where we are able to get it to a point where we felt was most workable. A lot is not necessarily "broken", just some old GS1 scripts need to be converted to GS2 standards as well as repaired. So far, it's been rather slow for multiple reasons, mostly members of the GDT not being as available as I'd hope they would be, but progress is still being made. It took a while to sort through all the backups and figure out which content was worth salvaging, fixing, replacing, etc. The server itself is in okay shape, some things still need to be fixed which are pretty minor and don't require TOO much work.

At this point, as soon as Skyld, HR, the other members of the GDT, and myself assemble for a meeting of sorts to discuss 2k1's potential future, we will be looking for individuals to help assist us in bringing 2k1 back to a fully-working state as well as develop new content.

We are looking for some feedback, however. Some people have suggested to us that we should switch from the custom bodies, to the regular ones. This is still plausible but would cause a huge setback and a lot of unnecessary re-development, but if that's what a majority wants, we will consider it. The main issue with that is we would have to basically re-create many, many ganis, develop a new movement/combat system for humans, and more. Also, Skyld feels that the custom bodies and interaction were one of the main reasons 2k1 gave the experience it did.

We are also looking for ways and ideas to make Bomys a little more balanced with humans, and we could use some ideas for that as well, whether it be more ways to attack, allowing diagonal movement, more health, anything you can think of.

Bottom line, I want to see 2k1 back online as much as you guys do, Skyld and Inverness feel the same way, and we don't want to let you down. Time and availability of our members have become a hamper in the ways of reorganizing everything, but I'm personally trying to do the best I can for the interests of Graal as a whole. If we were to just flat out fix everything that needs to be fixed, sure, we could hypothetically just re-release 2k1 and call it a day, but I want to go beyond that.

I would love to hear anyone's comments/suggestions regarding any matter related to the server and I may not respond to each one, but I will definitely read everything that gets posted here. If anyone also feels they would like to contribute to the project, please let me know. Mostly, we are looking for people with GScript 1 and 2 experience who would help us port code over, or fix half-working GS1 scripts, which are no longer compatible. Individuals skilled in levels would also be great to have, so we can begin developing new content such as quests and even more money making jobs.

To fulfill your nostalgia purposes, I'll be happy to let you know that testing/fooling around with Draisines, the train, Bread Baking, and the fish quest are just as fun today as they were when they were first released. I know it might sound cheesy to say, but for Skyld and myself, it's definitely very moving that we're able to work with the server, and it feels great to see everything working again, memories pouring back and whatnot, and we want to share that with you.

We are motivated, but we are certainly in no rush. Even though some may feel our efforts are futile, I think otherwise. I'm personally doing this because I think it's fun, and I want to enjoy the server again with the new wave of Graalians who have come by whether from iPhone or just discovering Graal randomly, as well as the oldbies still lingering around. Who knows, maybe even perhaps some familiar faces will drop by and say, "Hey!" In the end, I will have no regrets for being given the opportunity to get 2k1 back on its feet.

Sorry for the really long post and wall-o-text this has brought, but I feel we owe you some sort of explanation by now as to what is going on. Please, feel free to ask anything you want and give us some feedback, we could use it!

Forum PM (Preferred)
#graaldt @ Freenode
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
When you say backups exactly how far back are you guys going? Seemingly far since you're talking about codes being in gs1? But in either case I'm more curious as to whether its far enough back that you guys are scratching out any of the work konidias started? Or even Rufus? (Especially the bodies which would be plain stupid since they are like one of the most defining factors on the server.)
Old 09-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Zvarri!
benpoke103 will become famous soon enough
The backup is a quasi-mix between 2006 levels and scripts from around 2004. We still have some newer version of the scripts that were left on the server but there was a lot to clean up.

Forum PM (Preferred)
#graaldt @ Freenode
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
will anything from bomy island be used? if not, why not?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
This ^ bomy island was a way better version of 2k1 than any older version.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Well from a script point of view, if it's not saved it's typically because the effort required to make it work (and/or maintain) was far greater than a proper re-script.

Someone who knows more than my casual/dated knowledge from 2001 of the server will have to field the rest of that question.

Anyway I'm on Team Classic Bodies.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Visually it would be reaaaally stupid not to keep all the work Konidias made.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I disagree.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I disagree.
I don't think I've seen a single graphic remake he made that looked worse than the original.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
I don't think I've seen a single graphic remake he made that looked worse than the original.
I have seen many, a lot is incomplete, and there is a lot more left to do. All of the graphics follow a distinct style (dithered to hell, as I like to put it) and while there are some gems, most of it should be remade. To remake remakes is going to be a large job in itself, and probably a huge waste of time.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 PM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
Thanks for the update.

I don't see a problem with the "newer" bodies. They functioned well enough, and although they seemed a bit awkward because of us getting used to the classic ones, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort to switch.

Good luck, and let me know what I can do to help!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykel View Post
Good luck, and let me know what I can do to help!
Since the scripting pool is completely saturated for this project, people with talents in levels and graphics should send their "I'd like to help" PMs to benpoke103.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Quote:
I personally agree with this as I'm sure many others who have seen as much as I did of the server would also agree. Just because something is dithered that makes it bad.. ? o.O
Old 10-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCeaseD View Post
I personally agree with this as I'm sure many others who have seen as much as I did of the server would also agree. Just because something is dithered that makes it bad.. ? o.O
Dithered water? GG
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
dithered water? Gg
I lol'd