Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Blah

I've been slowly working away at these tiles for a long time. I put them aside for a while and just recently started looking at them again. I think maybe I'll put the finishing touches on it now. C&C please.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
looking very nice, i like it a lot!

since you wanted some critism:
1. the opened doors are kinda bothering me, cant really tell why. i guess its the way you've been rotating them (ps: also the glass is missing the lighter gray shadow)?
2. the very left and right wooden end of the balcony should also get like a dark border, so it doesnt just look cut off. Or anything else symbolizing its end (for the wooden part)
3. and the last thing which could be improved is the shadow below the balcony (im not too sure though about that). wouldnt the shadow need to be less high on the wall which is more to the front and vice versa for the one in the back? like this:

im not too sure though, probably also depends on how the "sun" is
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
smooth as eggs
racycle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to racycle
Haven't been up here in awhile but here is my 2cents.

Overall it's great, I think I might have adjusted one of the doors like callimuc was saying. What i did was shift the whole thing to the right and added in the /side/ of the door as it would be visible from the slanted angle along with darkened it. Suggesting the light is coming from the /left,top/.

Your bricks look good if everything else matches them, but I went ahead and added another option for the bottom. I don't have the time to accent all the red bricks like I would like to.

Lastly I removed the outline separating the 2 sections of brick from each other. As the middle sticks out it should cash some sort of shadow on objects to the right.

Added some sort of balcony support and made the shadow even all the way across. Even though the depth of wall changes the balcony casting the shadow dose not, so no real need to have uneven shadows.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Great suggestions and great edit.

I feel like I've been looking at these tiles so long the whole thing has gotten a little stale.
Looking at your edit has sort of breathed new breath into this for me.
I'm working on a new edit of a few things myself, I hope you don't mind if I incorporate some of your ideas.
I will post as soon as I'm done.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 AM
smooth as eggs
racycle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to racycle
Go for it :P it's all yours

Quote:
callimuc
3. and the last thing which could be improved is the shadow below the balcony (im not too sure though about that). wouldnt the shadow need to be less high on the wall which is more to the front and vice versa for the one in the back? like this:
I kind of did the opposite of this, I guess it is on personal preference. I would try to use a "darker" shadow to aid in showing depth though. It might have the same outcome in appearance as callimuc's idea but its your call.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 AM
More C&C please

Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future

Stop putting 1 line shadows next to outlines. This creates pillow shading. It's very evident in the bottom stones, around the green wood, various places.

Break up large spaces, like the cieling... place various tiles or something on top so it isn't a big blank space?

Contrastttttt.... You need to look at two shades and think "does this look like a different color, or is it pretty much the same?". If it looks sorta like the same color, then you need to pick a different shade. When you do this right, you do not to place lines to show corners, the 2 contrasting shades will create a corner themselves

I'd try to tell you to learn to AA, but there isn't much to AA in big square things. :o
You could add AA to the curvy railing, the corners of some of the shadows, various things...

Don't dither.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 AM
IzariusRyudo is an unknown quantity at this point
I really do enjoy these, come check out Mafia Life and contact me?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Been working on these again. Working on implementing some of the criticism I received as well as working on surrounding tiles. Would very much appreciate some more C&C!

Click image for full size

Click image for full size

Not for public use

Last edited by TSAdmin; 12-07-2013 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Scaled image preview for forum use - Click for original
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Graphics look great. For your design - scale down... a lot. Try to design a small 1-room shack. I think you may find it very challenging.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Are you referring to the building? I think I'm satisfied with the scale in either case, because it will be in scale with the character size.

I never understood the logic of having building size smaller than character scale. It does seem to be the popular way of doing things in 2d games however. Maybe because computer screen size in the age of 2d games was predominantly small.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchez416 View Post
Are you referring to the building? I think I'm satisfied with the scale in either case, because it will be in scale with the character size.

I never understood the logic of having building size smaller than character scale. It does seem to be the popular way of doing things in 2d games however. Maybe because computer screen size in the age of 2d games was predominantly small.
I'm focusing on scale of detail. This building is so large it looks more like a pattern - a wallpaper. If you work on a smaller scale building... ie, a one bedroom shack (... ... still in character scale... ...) you may find it more challenging.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Graphics look great. For your design - scale down... a lot. Try to design a small 1-room shack. I think you may find it very challenging.
I disagree 100%, scale up! Our resolutions are huge, we can take it.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
It has to do with content density. Games that are dense with content (i.e. things for the player to do which will give the player enjoyment) are funner to play. SO theoretically, there is nothing wrong with having huge maps and huge buildings if you can find a way to fill that large space with engaging content.

I will say that I really liked the building's style. When I think of 'modern' style in Graal, it always occurs to me that Fourside (Earthbound) does a similar style, but much better. The rest of the game is in a similar perspective to Graal, but when you travel to the big city Fourside you find that the perspective is isometric for the buildings and city block design. It's really well done, but your building reminded me of that style.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
agree with kamaeru, im not a fan of aimlessly designed areas that have no purpose at all, using every space is essential...everyone detests "fillers" just to make it appear as if it would be alot of indepth work...