Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who should own content?
The creator of the content (Developer) 6 20.00%
The server in which it is made for 20 66.67%
Everyone as long as it is used for Graal purposes. 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Joe Cruddas (VIP)
gravator has a spectacular aura about
As was mentioned by others, at what point would the content of any given server available for free use? Some servers have been untouched for years because there is no one left that originally tried to get the server up and running, would the content just fade into history never to be used again only because there's a chance that someone may work on it later and nobody else is allowed to give it out?

There are people that feel that content made by one individual can be given out by that very person, but we all saw how that was delt with concerning Bomy Island content, Konidias made many things for the server and according to some it should have been alright for him to share the files freely since he DID create all of that particular content, but he was forced to remove it since the new manager (how many years ago?) did not want that work to appear anywhere else.

Now that server and all of the content are just stagnating and there does not seem to be any work, and i still doubt that anyone would be allowed to use the content because some one or many people have the mindset that the server could come back someday and it is restricted content not to be spread to other servers.

I would suggest that a limit on server inactivity be put into place as some way to encourage work, if your server is not showing good solid progress within a certain time, it's all up for free use if you want it to be or not.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned
DARKVILLIN has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to DARKVILLIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Unless a server is actively using it I believe it should be the creator of the graphic who should be the one who decides who can use it. If the creator of a graphic can't be contacted then it's the server's choice.

I've seen a couple cases where a GAT decided to leave and get his graphics used else where only to have someone else make a complaint to get it removed because it was technically uploaded to their server first and only "planned" to use it.

^ This is true...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVILLIN View Post
^ This is true...
^ This is true...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Banned
DARKVILLIN has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to DARKVILLIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
^ This is true...
^Which is also true
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Unholy Nation
Starfire2001 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVILLIN View Post
^Which is also true
^I'm not sure if I agree with this.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravator View Post
I would suggest that a limit on server inactivity be put into place as some way to encourage work, if your server is not showing good solid progress within a certain time, it's all up for free use if you want it to be or not.
I agree with most of what you said until you got to this part.

While I am a big proponent of sharing content that any server developer can use, it would be a big mistake to take apart servers just for 'spare parts.' Seeing as I own a server and I haven't had the money to renew it for a while, I would be very angry if my creation were suddenly dismantled and redistributed without my permission.

However, I would very much approve of some kind of 'server morgue' where people can deposit their resources for others if they're giving up on a server project altogether. But really, it's better to develop new stuff for the community instead of always trying to dig up content from abandoned servers. We can't be scavengers forever.