Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Mario Release Thread

Here's the first release of Mario is Missing! While it's far from perfect, I think it's solid enough to be messed around with. Some fair warning though: I never scripted it with the intention of being efficient! Some may cringe at the code, and it probably is pretty embarrassing. However, I was more focused on getting things to actually work than to get them working well.

How to play? First, make sure you have GraalEditor.exe. If you don't, log online and find 'Install Packages' in the taskbar, then download the 'level editor'.

After you're sure that's done, unzip the folder into your Graal directory. It should create a folder called 'Mario'. Next, delete FILENAMECACHE.txt. This is very important, as Graal needs to know there are new files in its folder. After that is done, go into the Graal folder and start 'mario.bat'. Don't worry, it's nothing malicious! If you're worried, right click it and click edit(or open it in notepad), and it will show you the code.

It should start up just fine I recommend playing it in default window size, as that's what it's intended to be played in.

'S'(or sword) is to run, 'A'(or grab) is to jump. If you wish to enter editor mode, be sure to press F first to turn off the camera, or else the editor will be fixed on the focus of the last position of Mario. If that happens, just enter play mode, press F and then enter edit mode again.

Like I said, it's far from perfect, so expect bugs. Also, offline gmaps are severely limited when it comes to NPCs. NPCs are pretty much locked in the levels they are created in, so going past their levels can be buggy. Other than that, I'd more than enjoy hearing of any bugs you may encounter, as I wish to crush them all!

Some bugs I'm already aware of:
> Mario's jump sound is using Graal's. This was an oversight, as I had forgot to change the file name in the gani 'mario_big-jump.gani', and you can do that yourself if you'd like, the filename is: 'mario_jump.wav'.
> Turtles make no noise when they bump into walls. This is another oversight, as I had forgotten to append mario_ to the script when I renamed all the sounds.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mario.zip (5.26 MB, 282 views)

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 02-04-2010 at 02:58 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
I will probably be posting all releases in this thread, by the by. For those curious about the project without downloading it, you can view all the progress made on it here:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...hp?t=134257825

Also of note, I have only tested the method posted above on my computer... but given that I've got backup files floating all through my Graal folder it may have only worked because of that. Let me know if you have any problems.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty sweet, I had to delete my tiledefsOffline.txt to get the tileset to work then everything worked great. In future releases perhaps make it a all-in-one package like the zombie game (so it's just extract anywhere, and run GraalEditor or your bat) that one guy made a few months ago.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Pretty sweet, I had to delete my tiledefsOffline.txt to get the tileset to work then everything worked great. In future releases perhaps make it a all-in-one package like the zombie game (so it's just extract anywhere, and run GraalEditor or your bat) that one guy made a few months ago.
I was going to do that, but doing that vastly increases the file size as I have to include the graaleditor as well as most of the default files. Also, I didn't like the idea of masking Graal up as an independent program.

If push comes to shove, I can make the bat delete filenamecache and maybe fix tiledefs... I'm not sure why you were having any problems with tiledefs though.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Well it's not that much bigger. (2 MB)

So here's a viable option for those that don't want to mess around with their graal folder
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mario.REPACK.zip (7.46 MB, 239 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Very cool!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Here's is the latest version. Not much in terms of updates. Added a functional HUD, death(only by timer, which I think is currently set to infinite[-1]), a 'hub' level to handle weapons, which would eventually be turned into an overworld of sorts, fixed turtle shells to fall into small pits, which means they function like their real Mario counterparts in block 'mazes'.

Only reason I'm uploading this is because I'm becoming more frustrated with the limitations and not sure how much farther I will go with this now. It doesn't look like I can create a functional game out of Graal, however.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mario.zip (5.30 MB, 227 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 AM
GK Manager
Sky is a glorious beacon of lightSky is a glorious beacon of lightSky is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Sky
That has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen. =o
Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Well, can always redo the graphics and make an iPhone server out of it! I don't think there are any good Mario clones on the iPhone!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Well, can always redo the graphics and make an iPhone server out of it! I don't think there are any good Mario clones on the iPhone!
Nice idea
Old 02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Mario online would kick ass !
Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Lemmy Koopa (Koopalings)
EclipsedAngel has a spectacular aura about
It's a really amazing engine. Like I said, A platformer server would be amazing.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Engine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipsedAngel View Post
It's a really amazing engine. Like I said, A platformer server would be amazing.
I couldn't see it having a good player base, unlesss it attracts people that play maplestory also.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I couldn't see it having a good player base, unlesss it attracts people that play maplestory also.
I'd really prefer to keep the maplestory crowd away. We have enough 'nutty-buddies' on Graal already.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Love your sarcasm!