Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Retired Oldbie
MrAnonymous_P2P is an unknown quantity at this point
lol There are a few Era quests that use to have cussing in them. Not sure anymore though.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Okay, let's see here. First of all, you can not base a 'rating' off of what players can say. Even the ESRB will simply state while playing online games that your experience may be different than the rating given because of players. So forget about what players can do. It's all about what YOU make the server.
Saying 'cursing is bad' or 'cursing means you can't find better words' doesn't work when you're scripting an NPC. Why? Because the NPC is supposed to reflect somebody else. If you're scripting a gangster on Era, it would be absolutely fit to have them cursing. It's not unwarranted if it fits the role.
Anyways, remember, a 'rating' should be based off the actual content, not the players. I absolutely think more mature content should be allowed, just have the player confirm their age before they gain access to the server. That's ALL, don't worry about if they're lying or not, it's not your problem if they are.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Rediculously inactive
Horrified is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Horrified Send a message via AIM to Horrified Send a message via MSN to Horrified Send a message via Yahoo to Horrified
I personally think vulgar chat should have an optional censor naturally turned on for the young ones but able to be disabled for the older generation, but that's my opinion.

And rating is never based off of players in boards like ESRB; that's why they have the "Experience May Change during online play" or so. Still, sticking to the less gory stuff probably will work better for graal, seeing as the majority of players aren't older then Graal's lifetime.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
I'd love to log on and see NPC's having sexual intercourse and swearing at one another.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Ziro_of_the_Turks will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
I'd love to log on and see NPC's having sexual intercourse and swearing at one another.
And a big blood-splatter splashscreen when they finish.

It could be an intro to something.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
You simply wouldn't be able to log on and see it, you'd have to apply some ColdTea to it first.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 PM
King_Koopa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziro_of_the_Turks View Post
And a big blood-splatter splashscreen when they finish.

It could be an intro to something.
intro? That would be one freaking weird intro, lol. Should be like the very last quest or 'end' of the whole plot. Anyway, I hear the word 'toasty' when you two spoke of this.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 PM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Or corrupt cops snorting cocaine and then brutally being taken down by their non-corrupt counter-parts. All in the while... Sabotage by Beastie Boys is playing in the background.

Now that's... an intro.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
I'm sure you would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrified View Post
I personally think vulgar chat should have an optional censor naturally turned on for the young ones but able to be disabled for the older generation, but that's my opinion.
I agree that players should be able to choose, but I think it needs to be limited. On servers I work on, if I don't install a word filter, I'll instantly ban/jail anyone using racial slurs. Won't tolerate that. I generally say swearing is okay if you're frustrated, etc, but swearing to put others down is no.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
jwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
I'm sure you would.

I agree that players should be able to choose, but I think it needs to be limited. On servers I work on, if I don't install a word filter, I'll instantly ban/jail anyone using racial slurs. Won't tolerate that. I generally say swearing is okay if you're frustrated, etc, but swearing to put others down is no.
Then maybe "f*** you", "n****r" and the likes should be filtered rather than just generally all swear words.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:54 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
Then maybe "f*** you", "n****r" and the likes should be filtered rather than just generally all swear words.
Which is impossible to do.

I did this once a while ago, log a players chat whenever they swore, and then if someone said 'this person insulted me with a swear', we could go to their log file, and if they did, jail them.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
jwd
Quote:
Which is impossible to do.

I did this once a while ago, log a players chat whenever they swore, and then if someone said 'this person insulted me with a swear', we could go to their log file, and if they did, jail them.
Aye. I like that idea. Might be a bit laggy though, since a lot of people swear, and that log'll get really big.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codein View Post
Aye. I like that idea. Might be a bit laggy though, since a lot of people swear, and that log'll get really big.
Because of log file size, I generally use custom logging, and then store things in a folder like

server/logs/swearing/ACCOUNT_swearlog.txt
Old 12-16-2007, 04:13 PM
jwd
Quote:
Because of log file size, I generally use custom logging, and then store things in a folder like

server/logs/swearing/ACCOUNT_swearlog.txt
Ah, I see. Good idea.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
It's nice to see someone actually enforcing this.
*shrug* Its only one person, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. All attempts to prevent swearing will fail in the end (in general), all you have to do is go to school to be exposed to such things. Swear words are only offensive if people take offense to to them, otherwise they're A-OK in my opinion. And I can't think of anyone I know that takes offense to them. Though often I expect people to say they take offense just to get someone else in trouble. So if people say they are offended by swearing on Val I typically don't believe them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud
I generally say swearing is okay if you're frustrated, etc, but swearing to put others down is no.
At least you have some sense.

If someone told me on Val some other person was swearing at them and didn't like it, I wouldn't jail the person (yet). I'd tell the person who complained to ask the other to stop swearing at them first. If the guy didn't stop swearing then thats when Staff step in.

I hope you have a routine similar to that. I don't listen to people who go whining to staff at every offense instead of trying to solve the problem on their own.