Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillaWonka View Post
First you gotta fix the broken voice chat that is already in the game, as far as i know, it only is broken for macs.
Pretty sure the existing voice functionality was using UDP which was removed in v6 on all platforms.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShatterblade View Post
This would actually be a huge step in the right direction for Graal to keep pace with less-prehistoric games.
I disagree. I actually believe that voice chat related stuff shouldn't be in any game, except for console games, because there you can't use any third party software for it. On the PC, though, Ventrilo, Teamspeak and Mumble are far superior to what any game can offer in terms of voice chat.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
UDP screwed with the gameplay as well, as in you can not see certain people with their UDP on also, move around.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I disagree. I actually believe that voice chat related stuff shouldn't be in any game, except for console games, because there you can't use any third party software for it. On the PC, though, Ventrilo, Teamspeak and Mumble are far superior to what any game can offer in terms of voice chat.
And what if you're just playing by yourself? Kindly ask everyone on your team to join your Vent server?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:08 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillaWonka View Post
UDP screwed with the gameplay as well, as in you can not see certain people with their UDP on also, move around.
UDP is glorious. Could've been implemented in a better way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy002 View Post
And what if you're just playing by yourself? Kindly ask everyone on your team to join your Vent server?
You've got a point. I was just thinking about myself in this case, and I don't use voice chat to talk with strangers, ever.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Very few people would use it appropriately, the rest would use it call each other n-bombs and other racist terms.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
UDP is glorious. Could've been implemented in a better way.
TCP should have never been used for a game like Graal. You download assets and receive player and other updates via TCP, which is a terrible idea. That means that the game will stall out in connection, as TCP is a single stream which, when a packet is dropped or a lot of information needs to be transferred over time, will halt the ENTIRE stream, with no ability for player position updates or anything else to slip through while this data is being transferred. The real solution would've been to implement a reliability layer with ACK packets or timeouts over UDP, or use a pre-built one like ENet. Would've had a much better experience this way, but oh well.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy002 View Post
TCP should have never been used for a game like Graal. You download assets and receive player and other updates via TCP, which is a terrible idea. That means that the game will stall out in connection, as TCP is a single stream which, when a packet is dropped or a lot of information needs to be transferred over time, will halt the ENTIRE stream, with no ability for player position updates or anything else to slip through while this data is being transferred. The real solution would've been to implement a reliability layer with ACK packets or timeouts over UDP, or use a pre-built one like ENet. Would've had a much better experience this way, but oh well.
Sums up what I wanted to say, but I lack the in-depth knowledge to not mess up
Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 AM
iPaul has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Very few people would use it appropriately, the rest would use it call each other n-bombs and other racist terms.
What i was thinking instead of it Public for all it can be made into a Party chat and you can invite or make it password Protected and their should be allot of channel's as well

Like a new tab called "Chat"

Where you can make your own Channel (Gold only otherwise trials will spam tons of channels) and name you channel and make it public or password protected and maybe invite only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
iPaul is my favorite player on Era.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Mr. Steal Yo Girl
Gambet1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is era vent info :0
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet1337 View Post
what is era vent info :0
Pm the cool kids in-game
Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
vent is not ideal, so this might be a good idea but it would be useless atm since no gangs raid due to the ridiculous gang system