Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Banned
_0AfTeRsHoCk0_ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
Cynical: Review #3

While reviewing this server I had to keep two things in mind almost all of the time.
1) The new rules created by Stefan, enforced by Nemesis (see Nem's sticky)
2) The idea that this server has been under construction for a long time, meaning it's more of a "classic" type server.

Anyways, here we go:

The begining started out very nice. The GUI, although simple, said a lot especially how you could customize your HP bars. The q menu was very nice too, though it was a bit confusing (or maybe it was just buggy, a minor problem).

Creativity - 8/10 - Keeping in mind this server has been under construction for a while, I can understand why though some of it may not seem totally creative, it in fact is. The jobs themselves were new, which is a plus, and the server seems to be guild friendly (is US a guild?) which will most certainly attract players. Other neat little add-ons to the overworld which kind of summarize in a pardoy what Graal is about (NPC's doing funny stuff). It seemed as if this server knows what people like and want, and the audience he is targetting for his server.

Levels - 9/10 - The levels were excellent, especially using the the regular tileset. Could barely find any tile errors, and I thought the use of tiles were good. I understand in some quests tiles are supposed to be funny or accomodate the scenario, but I thought a better combination of colors and tiles could have been used. Again, this is a minor squabble, the levels overall were very nice. I also saw some empty spots, like Torankusu mentioned which could be for future development, but even not including that the server meets all the requirements and more to get online.

NPC's - 7-10 - Many of the NPC's seem to be "classic", but there were a few new additions which I thought for nice. I had to keep remind myself this server was not out to impress it's flashy new NPC's and such, so I thought that the NPC's and NPCw's sufficed. The GUI was nice, you can customize it somewhat, and the q menu looked very nice as well.

Quests - 5.5/10 - This is where my main dilemma is, and it's soemthing I thought of for a long time. Yes, the server has tons of quests, 10 or more, and some are very tricky to get into, which is very nice and how it should be. But a lot of the quests were indeed "slash the baddies" (I can name a few to the owners of affiliates if they'd like) even though it's a classic server, the storyline should have been tied in more with them. So at what point do I sacrifice quality for repetetiveness and genre? This will probably be the most controversial mark I will give.

Storyline - 5.5/10 - Having a storyline for every server may be a bad thing. Look at servers like UN (okay, I shouldn't be comparing those kind of server with this, it's a bad comparison), but I mean, would UN look funny if it indeed did have a storyline? I'd say so. I was expecting to be the big hero, but it turns out that the server is totally not geared for anything of the sort. Either you should develop the storyline more into quests and the overworld, which will be difficult with the kind of environment you have, or perhaps scrap the storyline,which wouldn't be hard at all. Not having a storyline for a server isn't necessarily a bad thing, I know for this server it probably wouldn't be.

Overall score 35/50

Cynical's status: Fail

I know this is adding insult to injury, but yesterday the new rules came into play, and I know that someone's working on your website, but it still isn't done and completed, so the server hasn't met the standards. While you still have room to develop the server itself, it still has more than enough to meet the requirements in levels, things to do, etc.

No, it doesn't deserve a red fail, it was quite good actually. I wouldn't be surprised if the server was turned back in within a few weeks for another review, because there wasn't much wrong with it. Take your time on the website too, no sloppy low quality ones, make it as good a quality as you would your levels, NPC's on your server itself, no need to rush. I have two main recommendations, though you can IM me for more later

1) Do something with the storyline
2) Improve the quests

Again, sorry to the team, I don't expect this'll set you back far.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:28 AM
Legondary_MyTH is on a distinguished road
OMI

AWWWW i wanted to see it so bad
Levels Admin on Renegade
LAT on Doomsday,Babylon,G3K
Developer on Faheria,Babylon
GP on Sanstrata,G3K
Old 08-31-2002, 10:31 AM
Banned
Pith is on a distinguished road
Re: Cynical: Review #3

Quote:
Originally posted by _0AfTeRsHoCk0_

Overall score 35/50

Cynical's status: Fail

thats 70% which equals a passing grade
Old 08-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Banned
_0AfTeRsHoCk0_ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
Re: Re: Cynical: Review #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Pith

thats 70% which equals a passing grade
I do believe the passing grade is 37, and even if it did pass, it doesn't meet the requirements with a website.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:29 AM
bigkow44 is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Re: Cynical: Review #3

Quote:

I do believe the passing grade is 37, and even if it did pass, it doesn't meet the requirements with a website.
I wanted to see Cynical...After getting a 9 on levels.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:40 AM
Bortlad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Bortlad Send a message via AIM to Bortlad Send a message via Yahoo to Bortlad

Quote:
[Bthe server seems to be guild friendly (is US a guild?) which will most certainly attract players. [/B]
US is a guild on Classic server.
The owner used to be a member and he has an old version of the US town that is currently on Classic server.

I don't know if this is the website that he is going to keep or not but this is the one i have.

http://www.geocities.com/boojgraal/

WillieJamal posts in blue

Quote:
*MasterStorm_GP (RC) (4/10/02 5:07:40 PM):
Mass message: Er....... I've accidentally jailed myself, doh, so i'll only be able to answer from my RC for a bit.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:22 PM
TheFrozenFiend is on a distinguished road
The website rule is stupid.
Half the servers up dont have a website and another quarter NEVER update it.

Plus, unless Im going insane, there is a website with the latest map, news and so on.

"or perhaps scrap the storyline"

If there is no storyline then wouldnt it get 0/10?

I dont see how a server that got high marks for creativity, levels and NPCs can fail.
Some servers that are currently up (not mentioning names) would NEVER pass this test.

I was looking forward to a new server to play.

Also known as TDM
Old 08-31-2002, 06:44 PM
Timpan3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Timpan3
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFrozenFiend
The website rule is stupid.
Half the servers up dont have a website and another quarter NEVER update it.
Amen!
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFrozenFiend

I dont see how a server that got high marks for creativity, levels and NPCs can fail.
Some servers that are currently up (not mentioning names) would NEVER pass this test.

Amen x2!!!

Rate Fairly :O
1 2 3 4 5
- AIM : HoOLiGaN4LyFe
- Email : [email protected]
- Nick : Kosma
- Server : Classic/Frolic
- Current Jobs : Malhangaia LAT
Old 08-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned
Duo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Duo
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cynical: Review #3

Quote:
Originally posted by bigkow44

I wanted to see Cynical...After getting a 9 on levels.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:16 PM
RavenTelvecho is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to RavenTelvecho Send a message via AIM to RavenTelvecho Send a message via Yahoo to RavenTelvecho
sdasdfasd

Quote:
I spoke with him about playerworlds and such. As of right now any playerworlds passed, please don't harp and harass us to put them up. Why? Because we don't have a place to send them as of yet. Which is what I am currently trying to achieve.

To business. If you decide to create a playerworld. Many of you have and will continue to the end of time, the following additions must be present upon submission.
It says for those who are gonig to submit, it didnt say anything about the ones in queue. Plus I was making one I told you to hold it =/
And your grading for quests is incorrect, the questing is one of the highlights.
ID finish it now but im going to wonderland

^tuff newbie ;x
RavenTelvecho
!Booj
we are 'brothers'
Old 08-31-2002, 08:24 PM
RavenTelvecho is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to RavenTelvecho Send a message via AIM to RavenTelvecho Send a message via Yahoo to RavenTelvecho

Quote:

No, it doesn't deserve a red fail, it was quite good actually. I wouldn't be surprised if the server was turned back in within a few weeks for another review, because there wasn't much wrong with it. Take your time on the website too, no sloppy low quality ones, make it as good a quality as you would your levels, NPC's on your server itself, no need to rush. I have two main recommendations, though you can IM me for more later
I dont produce sloppy work thank you. And you will get your website soon enought =/.

And when we resubmit is it all over again?? 1#?

^tuff newbie ;x
RavenTelvecho
!Booj
we are 'brothers'
Old 08-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Elite Member
Torankusu has a spectacular aura aboutTorankusu has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenTelvecho
sdasdfasd

It says for those who are gonig to submit, it didnt say anything about the ones in queue. Plus I was making one I told you to hold it =/
And your grading for quests is incorrect, the questing is one of the highlights.
ID finish it now but im going to wonderland
i find this justified.

They didn't submit, they were waiting.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:25 PM
oldbie
brock128 is on a distinguished road
Excuse me while I curse.

I WANT A NEW PW.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:36 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Why is "Storyline" even a section in the review? What if the server is purposely made to have no storyline? They would have to get super high scores in everything else because they get a 0 on story?

Not all online games need storylines...

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 08-31-2002, 09:52 PM
TheFrozenFiend is on a distinguished road
While I am taking the server submit rules apart Id like to mention another problem.

You have ratings for creativity, levels, npcs, storyline and quests. Yet you dont have one of the most important ones. Graal is a game yet you dont rate how fun it is?
Thats the biggest problem with most servers. They work on their little graphics and new tilesets and super advanced npcs but when it comes down to it the server ends up being BORING. They are no fun to play after an hour.
Quests should be replaced with the fun factor or, if you like, the "Lasting Appeal".
Thats why Graal 2001 is so dull (imo). They have some nice levels and some good NPCs. But then its pretty much pressing the D button over and over to get some money. Then go buy a hat. Then repeat the process until you feel like throwing your computer out the window.

A much better rating system would be this (and it took me 5 seconds to think of it)

Creativity: X/5 (How different is the server?)
Levels: X/5 (The quality and quantity of levels)
NPCS: X/5 (The quality and quantity of NPCs)
Storyline: X/5 (How good is the storyline. If there is none then this isnt taken into account as it isnt neccesary)
Fun Factor: X/25 (Is it fun to play)
Tilt: X/10 (If theresa certain thing that is done really well then points are gave here)

So thats:
55 if there is a storyline. They should need 38 more more to pass.
50 if there isnt one. They should need 35 or more to pass.

Also, seeing as the rules have changed, shouldnt current servers be tested to see if they meet the standards? I doubt 75% of them will.

Also known as TDM