Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
size of overworlds

i'd like to discuss classic servers in terms of their overall size and organization. it seems that each server in this theme always aims to have a giant 100 level overworld when it seems that the same atmosphere could be produced on a 30 level one.

it's been discussed before about how these bigger overworlds tend to end up as wasted space. player's naturally gravitate towards two or three spots on the overworld, so they only need so many levels for them to spread out on. with some good organization, all the places and events you need to provide to players can be placed well within a level or two of these spots.

so we know that (besides for maybe some exploration affect) these bigger overworlds generally do not get used, and yet every new server that has been put under construction (or reconstruction in some cases) seems to aim at bloated overworlds. is there some sort of expectation by the PWA which demands for a larger-than-necessary overworld, or is it just that people think a small overworld would suck?

for levelers, you cannot seriously consider these monstrosities to be an easy task? especially for those preparing an overworld for construction, it seems quite time consuming to make and design 100+ levels when you could make 20 levels and accomplish the same goal...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
I don't really quite get the point of posting this thread. This is already quite obvious.

Classic is already downsizing their gmap greatly, and UN has had plans (that will probably never come to be) to downsize the gmap.

Current Classic tab servers will probably never downsize. Classic is an exception because they decided to redo everything.

Its a lot of work making a new gmap that also includes everything the old one does, in a way that makes sense and also allows expansion. It takes planning, and time. Thats just something a lot of people do not want to do. Its sad, but true.

On the note of new server; I think its just the mentality that "Classic servers have huge overworlds...I need a huge overworld!"

Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
On the note of new server; I think its just the mentality that "Classic servers have huge overworlds...I need a huge overworld!"
It's hard to tell for sure, "bigger is better" tends to be a very common mentality anyway, though I definitely get a lot of "ur map sux ipod map is way better y u not have swamp town havent u been working on it 4 13 years?", "I liked the older map it was more of a world", "ur telling me u dont need LATs so y is ur map so under developed?" etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
i'd like to discuss classic servers in terms of their overall size and organization. it seems that each server in this theme always aims to have a giant 100 level overworld... it seems quite time consuming to make and design 100+ levels when you could make 20 levels and accomplish the same goal...
Not saying this should apply for all servers but in the server im developing I like to have towns spaced out as it gives you that kinda travel feel. Each town has its advantages and activities to do. Having a small map of 30 levels is too crammed. While you do present a good point I don't think there is much point in this thread since it all depends on the server type. In UN if they shrunk the map I don't believe it would be as much fun as it takes away some of the adventure element, same applies for zodiac.

However for new player worlds I do think they should take this approach and not aim for a giant and never get it all done. My main post is while this is a good idea it all depends on the server idea basically...

It's genius.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
log on atlantis
Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
log on atlantis
I wonder what it is you're trying to say
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Babylon OG
Lord Sephiroth will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lord Sephiroth
It's never been stated by the PWA that in order to meet Classic qualifications you need a certain level requirement, you just have to prove that your server content is competant enough to withhold a playerbase. It's been discussed a few times whether or not a server with 20 overworld levels could qualify as long as it had enough content to maintain the server and every PWA that responded in these threads said they were more than willing to pass such a server if it existed.

As for why more people don't attempt small-scale servers, that can really be one of two reasons. As stated earlier in the thread, they might be modelling their server after the current Classic servers and are assuming the PWA demand massive worlds.

The more likely scenario is that the current ideas for playerworlds are bordering on the line of having their own separate game only developed and launched using the Graal development platform. Every server idea lately is some MASSIVE project that really demands having a large overworld to support it. RPG type servers are a good example, same with "Multi-theme" servers where players can jump to different worlds.

To make a long story short, there aren't any playerworld inspection restrictions on overworld size, it's just the current "mood" so to speak when it comes to designing your own server.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I wonder what it is you're trying to say
quality > quantity
Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
quality > quantity
In some cases but would you rather play an old server like the old classic with stacks of quests and activities or thor's classic(in its current state)?

It's genius.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono View Post
quality > quantity
<3
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricxta View Post
In some cases but would you rather play an old server like the old classic with stacks of quests and activities or thor's classic(in its current state)?
atlantis

didnt mind playing classic in 2006/2007, where there was little to do but pk/spar/events. i dont care for quests and think they're highly overrated.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Cubes is a jewel in the roughCubes is a jewel in the rough
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...hp?t=134259219
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
People should just do what they want.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
People should just do what they want.
Agreed. If they think they can manage it its ok. And to be truth... I´d prefer making the map big, because you can still start making a small town, whatever. Else you have to edit the gmap every time, maybe add the warps to the new map (still don´t know what they are good for in gmap) and so on. This would make much more glitches adding it (except you are good in it) so why not big from the beginning on?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 PM
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
Zodiac has the largest map and 50% of it isn't even finished.