Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Graal is a cpu hog?

Is it me, or does Graal for the Mac use up a lot of the cpu, can cause a good amount of heat? I don't have a temperature sensor on my new cpu, but the hdd and gfx card have heated up as much (and more for the hdd) than when I run games like UT2004.
Have these things been resolved in the Universal client? What made this one so inefficient?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	641
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	45345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	610
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	45346  
Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
It appears to run a lot better, and use much less CPU when using the Intel client on and Intel Mac than the PPC one on a PPC Mac.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:55 AM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
May be related to this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
What exactly is bad with 20-40% cpu usage? Graal is also not "a simple graphics game", it's basicly a 3D engine for displaying a 2D game, but is also hosting a virtual machine for the scripting engine, plays sound effects and streams music, exchanges real-time data with the servers, is also a webclient (e.g. the news display on serverlist) and displays Flash videos and games (used on Skills games, Unholy Nations).

If there is a lot of lag then it's usually a bad driver for the graphics card, or a bad internet connection, but the driver problem is more common.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388 View Post
Is it me, or does Graal for the Mac use up a lot of the cpu, can cause a good amount of heat? I don't have a temperature sensor on my new cpu, but the hdd and gfx card have heated up as much (and more for the hdd) than when I run games like UT2004.
Have these things been resolved in the Universal client? What made this one so inefficient?
Dynamic recompilation - the very fact you are trying to run a PowerPC program on an Intel processor, so Rosetta is having to take every PowerPC CPU instruction and then translate it and correct endianness for the program to work at all. You might like to think that Rosetta is running the program at native speed, but in reality, it rarely is.

The client on average is only taking a quarter to a third of my CPU for me on PowerPC 1.4GHz.

Also why is your GraalOnline icon in your task manager the same as Vendetta Online's application icon?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Right now only a PowerPC version is available, that's why it's taking quite a lot of CPU time on Intel computers because it runs in emulation. The next Graal version should run better. The next version is planned to be released in a few weeks.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Right now only a PowerPC version is available, that's why it's taking quite a lot of CPU time on Intel computers because it runs in emulation. The next Graal version should run better. The next version is planned to be released in a few weeks.
I'll hold you to that >:3
Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
May be related to this thread:
Mac computers don't generally have problems with drivers since all the hardware is either made by Apple, or is shipped out by Apple (this is assuming you don't swap out your graphics card or something).
Quote:
Just like flying technology was supposed to be released two years ago, and external windows were supposed to be released before Christmas, right?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned
warmaster70229 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to warmaster70229 Send a message via MSN to warmaster70229 Send a message via Yahoo to warmaster70229
Well, we were discussing flying technology on Zodiac RC, and it's apparently done, they just don't have a scheme for how it should be released, unless I read wrong.

Also: I think external windows would be a lot more kick-ass than flying technology, so do those first Stefan!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
Dynamic recompilation - the very fact you are trying to run a PowerPC program on an Intel processor, so Rosetta is having to take every PowerPC CPU instruction and then translate it and correct endianness for the program to work at all. You might like to think that Rosetta is running the program at native speed, but in reality, it rarely is.

The client on average is only taking a quarter to a third of my CPU for me on PowerPC 1.4GHz.
Actually, that's on my 1.4ghz Power Mac G4, running Leopard. I think it takes more work than UT2004 does. It's not as hard on the gfx card, but I think it's harder on the cpu. The hard drive heats up a bit more with graal than UT2004. The cpu was using maybe 2/3. Other things run fine, and I can still open a lot of applications and windows, but it goes between 1/3 and 2/3 cpu usage. It's not a big deal, ad it's not like I can't do 100 other things on the computer while it's running graal, I was just wondering why it seems to run using a lot of the cpu.
Quote:
Also why is your GraalOnline icon in your task manager the same as Vendetta Online's application icon?
No idea, it's always been like that. I think my java applications also took on the graal icon. It's just the icon in iStat that's messed up, so I don't mind. I think I mentioned that here before.
Quote:
No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm really looking forward to it though (for the past 2 years).