Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Kicking off some rust.

So it has been almost 7 years since I last used the editor, but after talking with Kamaeru a little bit I've sort of caught the development bug. So I dusted off Gonstruct and created two levels.

I'd like to note that these two levels are supposed to work together as an overworld and interior. Also since I was working in Gonstruct I am missing the lighting for the lamps, as well as character NPCs.

Exterior:
  • The graveyard was designed so that a player would first need a hammer to enter.
  • Once inside, the top gravestone would be pushable to allow the player to drop into the hidden chamber underneath.
  • As far as NPCs, the lamps outside would have a light effect, but again, I could not place them because of Gonstruct. I think I'd also have ghosts or skeleton enemies patrolling the graveyard.
  • I tried my hardest to have the interior and exterior exits line up. I know it isn't 100% accurate, but I think simple things like this help build your game immersion.
  • Not too happy with how the exterior turned out. I think it looks sort of busy, and the dirt path turned out to dominate most of the level.

Interior:
  • The top left section is a thieves den. As I stated, I did not place any NPCs inside, but there were going to be 2-3 thieves inside which would give you hints to a chest in the graveyard. I also purposefully placed the interior cell for the graveyard area in the thieves den for the player to see, sort of like in Link to the Past as an extra hint.
  • The tree inside the cave was to have a light effect above indicating that it was getting sunlight from the small abandoned well on top of the exterior level. The lamps would also have a light effect. The whole level would have been darker to show off those light effects.
  • When you drop into the graveyard interior cell you would land on that green tuft of grass. There would also be a light effect above this spot to indicate the open grave as well.
  • I'm definitely not happy with the graveyard interior cell. I tried to emulate Link to the Past as best I could, but I think the red carpet is pretty ugly. I might go back and try to create a raised platform of some kind.

If you guys have any suggestions let me know. Also if you know how to get the default editor to work that'd be appreciated as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	491
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	56005   Click image for larger version

Name:	test3.png
Views:	515
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	56006  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
getting some mid 2000 vibes there
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Ğarkmåne
racil is a splendid one to beholdracil is a splendid one to beholdracil is a splendid one to beholdracil is a splendid one to behold
You could maybe use a gmap for the interior so to not have the rooms on the border.
First it allows for screens to center more on the player when in the level (and not have the S, D, A, AP, magic, health, arrows, gelats or other stuff obscuring any part of the rooms, but I think the layout doesn't put anything important under those).
Then it also stops walls from being cut off by the level border.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by racil View Post
You could maybe use a gmap for the interior so to not have the rooms on the border.
First it allows for screens to center more on the player when in the level (and not have the S, D, A, AP, magic, health, arrows, gelats or other stuff obscuring any part of the rooms, but I think the layout doesn't put anything important under those).
Then it also stops walls from being cut off by the level border.
that is a very good idea. If I decide to continue developing these levels I will definitely do this.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
getting some mid 2000 vibes there
It is sort of funny. I basically had to relearn the entire level making process, but I still managed to pick up some of my old habits in level design. Though I did make a conscious effort to switch to your style of cliffing however. I came to realize stacking like I used to do looked better when used sparingly.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
your style of cliffing
aw, you flatter me
Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
I like the vertical aspect of the outside level cliffs, and I love the inside level. If I were to criticize anything it would be that there is no distinction between the upper tier above the waterfall and the lower tier in the inside level by looking at the cliffs, it looks like it goes down to the same tier it came from. What I mean is that it would look like it had dropped in depth if the lower part had doubly high cliff walls.

All in all good classic level styling although I prefer to cliff using the proper zelda style. This is exactly how to design fun dungeons.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
I like the vertical aspect of the outside level cliffs, and I love the inside level. If I were to criticize anything it would be that there is no distinction between the upper tier above the waterfall and the lower tier in the inside level by looking at the cliffs, it looks like it goes down to the same tier it came from. What I mean is that it would look like it had dropped in depth if the lower part had doubly high cliff walls.

All in all good classic level styling although I prefer to cliff using the proper zelda style. This is exactly how to design fun dungeons.
I actually agree with you on the perspective issues, but I was tight on room trying to fit everything in one level. If I do move it onto a GMAP I'll probably do as you suggested (though I'm sure I'll have a hell of a time trying to work the extra height into that waterfall).
Old 07-27-2017, 04:32 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Just a quick edit. Moved thieves den onto it's own level for GMAP purposes. Also expanded the lower section of the cave walls to give more depth.

Quote:
aw, you flatter me
Well I say your style because you and a handful of other developers were the only ones who ever did it properly. And I remember you being on my case about my cliff style on a screenshot I posted a long time ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test.png
Views:	431
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	56007  

Last edited by maximus_asinus; 07-27-2017 at 04:50 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM
classy way to handle the waterfall
Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
classy way to handle the waterfall
truth is I don't know any other way of handling it. In the past I would have just slapped two waterfalls over some cliff tiles, but that way has a ton of tile errors. And I'm not really happy with how this turned out either because it definitely breaks perspective having east and west walls when the rest of the cave does not. I might try and figure out a way around this later.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
truth is I don't know any other way of handling it. In the past I would have just slapped two waterfalls over some cliff tiles, but that way has a ton of tile errors. And I'm not really happy with how this turned out either because it definitely breaks perspective having east and west walls when the rest of the cave does not. I might try and figure out a way around this later.
still think this is the best way to handle it though
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
So I'm still working on this little project and came up with two new levels. As with my last levels, these levels work together in the same sort of theme.

Exterior:
  • So this is the rest of the graveyard from my previous screenshot. This level would be east of there.
  • The entrance to the interior level is through the well. The exit is the back cave. The entrance is one-way to prevent players from entering the graveyard without the hammer.
  • Again, no NPCs, but you can see where I placed my lamps so you get where the lightsources are. I was also thinking of adding a fog effect similar to the Lost Woods in Link to the Past to add to the atmosphere.
  • Also going to add a gravekeeper that will wander the graveyard and drop a hint about voices in the well, giving the player a reason to enter and begin the quest.

Interior:
  • You drop in from the well in the bottom right corner (inside the ring). You exit from the top left corner.
  • There would be an NPC who is trapped on the patch of land to the right and as part of the quest you would have to pick them up and walk them over the shallow water path, then climb to the entrance to lead them back to the village south of the graveyard.
  • Only lightsource for this level would be the NPC that you have to carry. Possibly another to light the cave entrance and exit.

Also added a screenshot for the graveyard treasure room I posted previously, now with larger walls and some other small alterations.

Any feedback is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exterior1.png
Views:	410
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	56008   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior1.png
Views:	421
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	56009   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior2.png
Views:	409
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	56010  
Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
still think this is the best way to handle it though
Using NPC waterfall. I think it was called waterfall.gif? I don't know.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Using NPC waterfall. I think it was called waterfall.gif? I don't know.
mean the cliffs around it