Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Graal Developer
Joshua_P2P is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Protecting Server Content?

So recently i hired a staff member (not mentioning names) but the staff member was at the rank of a scripter. This individual had added multiple things to my server which i had yet to see anywhere else so i had assumed he made this content. Later after working there for a while he requested access to view a script (A Inventory script and class) saying he wanted to "learn" from it. Not knowing there were other intentions i gave him access thinking if he's contributed this much to my server i might as well help him with his scripting abilities and allow him to view the script.

So a week goes by and a server admin and I are working on my server. He was looking through all the scripts to see what we needed and what needed to be worked on. He looked at the Inventory and added it to himself to see what it looked like in client. He then proceeded to tell me how it looked nice but he's seen it on other servers. Not knowing what was going on i visited 3 servers with the same Inventory system as me just modified a bit in size and a button added to make it look a little different however it was the same. I suppose mentioning the name does no harm, my server admin is AlexDamian. After looking through several servers with the same inventory i asked Alex if he could contact Carlito regarding the matter and what actions could be taken to remove the content from my server on others. From my understanding Carlito told Alex there isn't sufficient proof to remove the content or to say those servers didn't create it themselves. The Question i bring before the community today is how am i supposed to protect my server content and prove that it is mine? Obviously if someone stole something they aren't going to admit to doing it so what other options do i have to prevent this from happening in the future? Content can easily be modified by changing text in a script or rearranging tiles in a level to make it look like it's original when it isn't. So aside from giving staff personal rights (which i already do) what other steps can be taken that in the event content is stolen, i can prove it's mine?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Cubes is a jewel in the roughCubes is a jewel in the rough
I thought you retired back in 2014
Old 06-04-2016, 05:09 AM
PlanetOscar is just really nicePlanetOscar is just really nice
Alex is not Damian, Alex is legend
Old 06-04-2016, 05:58 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Recent npclog.txt files on these other servers can prove whether these scripts were added within this time period, and whether they were added by the same individual.

I'd suggest that if the script is similar, was added by the same individual closely following their provision of read rights then there is fairly good proof you have been plagiarised.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Developer
AlexDamian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetOscar View Post
Alex is not Damian, Alex is legend
Lol
Old 06-04-2016, 01:56 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
I suggest not giving a fork, because it doesn't matter. You can think about this again once your server isn't private anymore.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Global Administration
MysticalDragon is just really niceMysticalDragon is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MysticalDragon Send a message via MSN to MysticalDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_P2P View Post
So recently i hired a staff member (not mentioning names) but the staff member was at the rank of a scripter. This individual had added multiple things to my server which i had yet to see anywhere else so i had assumed he made this content. Later after working there for a while he requested access to view a script (A Inventory script and class) saying he wanted to "learn" from it. Not knowing there were other intentions i gave him access thinking if he's contributed this much to my server i might as well help him with his scripting abilities and allow him to view the script.

So a week goes by and a server admin and I are working on my server. He was looking through all the scripts to see what we needed and what needed to be worked on. He looked at the Inventory and added it to himself to see what it looked like in client. He then proceeded to tell me how it looked nice but he's seen it on other servers. Not knowing what was going on i visited 3 servers with the same Inventory system as me just modified a bit in size and a button added to make it look a little different however it was the same. I suppose mentioning the name does no harm, my server admin is AlexDamian. After looking through several servers with the same inventory i asked Alex if he could contact Carlito regarding the matter and what actions could be taken to remove the content from my server on others. From my understanding Carlito told Alex there isn't sufficient proof to remove the content or to say those servers didn't create it themselves. The Question i bring before the community today is how am i supposed to protect my server content and prove that it is mine? Obviously if someone stole something they aren't going to admit to doing it so what other options do i have to prevent this from happening in the future? Content can easily be modified by changing text in a script or rearranging tiles in a level to make it look like it's original when it isn't. So aside from giving staff personal rights (which i already do) what other steps can be taken that in the event content is stolen, i can prove it's mine?
How do you honestly know if it wasn't on there server first? Yea you can check npclogs.txt or even rclog.txt, to see when the script was first uploaded to each server. But this doesn't really prove ownership. It could of originally came from another server that just isn't up anymore. It honestly sounds like you guys hired a so-called makeshift scripter that is using the same script for every server he works on. The code I have seen and read is pretty generic. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come from the Code Gallery. If it was a more advanced script that actually took time and effort then it would be worth to remove it. I don't feel its our duty to go around and delete scripts that really took no effort at all. Its more of a hassle then anything.
http://support.toonslab.com
[email protected]