Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 PM
spydrct02 is on a distinguished road
V4 causes skipping in certain levels

Please read the whole post, otherwise you will get confused and think I'm saying something else.

Before I explain, I'll say I do have a fix for this (anyone with hardware acceleration on their video card seems to be affected by it), and that it doesn't happen on V2. On the other hand, V2 is so slow in comparison to V4 overall that it's not even worth mentioning.

Note: when I say hardware acceleration off, I'm actually referring to the troubleshooting slider set to "disable all basic acceleration;" second from turning it completely off (right click desktop > properties > settings > advanced > troubleshooting). On with the problem -

So far I can only find a few levels that it does this in, all being on the playerworld N-Pulse. What happens is Graal 4 freezes every second or so, and how long it freezes is dependant on your window size (NOT desktop resolution). I find 640 x 480 doesn't skip too badly (still noticable), whereas 1600 x 1200 "skips" -or more like freezes- for about 2 seconds straight every second. If you go in fullscreen with even 1024 x 768 you will notice the skipping right away. It's consistent and will not stop no matter how long I'm in the level.

To help the solution, I've experimented with various settings and gathered that turning hardware acceleration off (I have an NVidia 6600) clears up the problem, as well as long level loads, another problem that I've experienced with all clients except V3. I'll add that V3 seemed to cache the levels as you loaded them, so they were all pretty much instant loading. V4 seems to be even faster than V3 when I turn hardware acceleration off, since it pretty much doesn't load any levels at all. I just fly right through the levels without any stopping (read: V2 had quite the habit for freezing when changing levels).

V2 also ran a little faster when turning hardware acceleration off, but doing it for V4 makes all the difference in everything. Just for fun, I'll let you know what settings I was going through when I was trying to fix this:

- I experimented with different antialiasing settings (none of which affected V4 performance in any way at all), and found that the only thing it seems to affect is making the text look smoother.

- Antriscopic filtering is always set to 16x for me as it has never affects frame rates in anything I've played. I thought maybe this was the problem at first, but again, it had no effect.

- I tried older NVidia drivers, but performance was left untouched. Currently I'm running forceware 83.10 (originally beta and WHQL certified, but the .ini was updated to work with all video cards - so much for WHQL).

- I tried both 16 bit and 32 bit desktop modes, also none of which affected performance in any way.

Remember, I DID find a solution for it, so go back up and read if you didn't see it. Still, noone should have to do any acceleration tweaking to get Graal running at the speed it's meant to be run.

Oh, and before I forget, the levels were all on N-Pulse, being level2.graal; event_main.nw; and event_north.nw. You can't tell me to talk to the staff either, because honestly I don't think they'd have a clue how to fix it. As for anyone that can look into it, I can say to maybe look for a same NPC that's in all 3 levels. I'm thinking it's just an incompatible--or perhaps badly scripted (this wouldn't be the first time bad scripts have shown up on that playerworld) never ending timeout loop.

Remember to put your acceleration back up when you're done playing, otherwise you may not be able to play certain games.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned
Myukoi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myukoi
That happens to me too, on GK, but not all the time. Just sometimes. It's annoying when monsters are around because when it stops freezing you'll be dead.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
I have the same problem on NP, thanks for the info.
I might try it, as the freezing is really annoying
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
I have checked it, someone should slap the people who have put that ****ty script in there x-x its doing removetiledefs/addtiledef in a loop, which means that all few moments it needs to redraw all tiles. There are around 200 scripts in the npulse levels which are doing that, some work for the level makers x-x
If possible move the addtiledefs to one script that is called at startup or so, removetiledefs should never be used except you have really big updates on your server.
About v2 vs v4: v4 is a little bit slower when doing a complete redraw of tiles, but is faster when only parts of the tiles need to be redrawn.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM
unsoundness
Ibonic will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
someone should slap the people who have put that ****ty script in there x-x
Old 01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned
Myukoi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myukoi
Quote:
someone should slap the people who have put that ****ty script in there x-x
That's hot.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
Quote:
I have checked it, someone should slap the people who have put that ****ty script in there x-x its doing removetiledefs/addtiledef in a loop, which means that all few moments it needs to redraw all tiles. There are around 200 scripts in the npulse levels which are doing that, some work for the level makers x-x
If possible move the addtiledefs to one script that is called at startup or so, removetiledefs should never be used except you have really big updates on your server.
About v2 vs v4: v4 is a little bit slower when doing a complete redraw of tiles, but is faster when only parts of the tiles need to be redrawn.
*Swoon*
Old 01-05-2006, 11:41 PM
N-Pulse
Andy182 will become famous soon enough
Thanks to spydrct02 showing me his post, I checked the levels and found the problem, Its been removed and the skipping stopped. We are checking other levels to make sure we completely get rid of this.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 AM
dot dot dot
Blitz_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blitz_Hunter
That was getting on my nerves, I thought it was my end having the problem.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
Quote:
See! I told you you need to stop by N-Pulse more! ProjectShifter needs to get on. Haven't seen him lately and I don't want to spam his phone. =(