Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 AM
qW£rt Classic Iphone
qw3rt is an unknown quantity at this point
Mention : that the GE is old(gs1) and mostly unusable >>GS2

Hi

I would like to say it will be a nice idea to mention in the description of the package of the graal editor, for persons who are new or begin Graal script, to say the Graal editor is completely outdated because it uses GS1 and not GS2 and if you want to make a server and script in GS1 it will be laggy or messed.

I said that cause i'm in this situation, i downloaded the GE like everyone to make levels or scripts as a development tool.

And i wanted to help Someone to make a Baddy with specific caracteristic, i did it with the NPC gen, helps in the forum and commands.
When i sent it to the concerned person i just got like yelled and considered as stupid cause it wasn't in GS2, like it was an enormity to didn't made it in gs2...

I was surprised and now i fell really stupid that i learned a script which is totally useless nowadays i wasted my time instead of learning the good one: GS2.

I hope people who begin scripts won't do the same mistakes and learn GS2 directly
Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
It's not all for the worst, although I agree that the level editor should probably mention that. It's a lot easier to learn GS2 if you have knowledge of another language, including GS1. Get signed up on Testbed and check out some of the tutorials on using RC and you'll pick it up quickly.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Here is a link on the server Chris is talking about: http://wiki.graal.us/TestbedServer
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
it's not like you can't make a server in GS1 still
Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
it's not like you can't make a server in GS1 still

Unless your definition of server is different than mine (an online Graal world) you can't as the PWA won't approve any servers with GS1.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post

Unless your definition of server is different than mine (an online Graal world) you can't as the PWA won't approve any servers with GS1.
ask them to disable GS2 functions on the server

and yes my definition is different than yours
Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 AM
the fake one
Quote:
ask them to disable GS2 functions on the server
They won't. You can still script using GS1 but the server would never be able to go hosted, preview, etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
They won't. You can still script using GS1 but the server would never be able to go hosted, preview, etc.
which is straight foolish given the circumstances. if an awesome server is produced in GS1 then let it pass by all means without GS2

of course this is an appalling opinion to any scripter
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
of course this is an appalling opinion to any scripter
So why even suggest it? There are reasons people don't use outdated languages. Whatever 'awesome' server can be made in GS1, can also be made in GS2.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
So why even suggest it? There are reasons people don't use outdated languages. Whatever 'awesome' server can be made in GS1, can also be made in GS2.
Not to mention there being a far higher chance of creating an "awesome" server with GS2 compared to GS1, it may not be extensively documented or with an easily accessible method of testing compared to GS1 but is superior in terms of readability and object control among other things when you do understand it.

Although it would be interesting to know the exact reasons as to why it would prevent a new server from obtaining Hosted or Classic status, I would imagine that GS1 scripts take longer to compile compared to GS2 and as mentioned above it's harder on the eye to read but it's not as if all current servers aren't without clutter and inefficient scripts.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
because i don't give a **** what language the server is in
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Registerd Abuser
nullify has a spectacular aura about
I bet you'd care if it was in French.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
OP: I doubt any changes will be made to the GraalEditor or its documentation. Offline development tools are being phased out, in exchange for online tools. In the meantime, there's been no attention given to the numerous complaints about the offline tools.

You can probably find a GS2 replacement for the GS1 documentation found in the NPC window pane. I think there might be one on the forums somewhere.

Quote:
because i don't give a **** what language the server is in
Then please keep your opinions on scripting standards to yourself.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Classic was an awesome server when it was in GS1!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 AM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Classic was an awesome server when it was in GS1!
Was it the if(created)'s or the if(playertouchsme)'s?