Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 AM
Registered Omega
killerogue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to killerogue Send a message via MSN to killerogue
The Decline of Playerworlds

I'm what you would say a new person to Graal. Started playing in '03 but stopped and restarted late last year. But I wish to for you the people of Graal to read this and please post on your opinions as this has bothered me for quite some time and I decided to write a small summary about my thoughts of a Graal population.

THE DECLINE OF PLAYERWORLDS

Why do we see more and more failing playerworlds?
Why haven't there been any new late additions to Classic? Gold?
Why are so many playerworlds allowed to be spwned? Then failed?

Simple questions with simple answers. But it goes much more deeper than being just simple. I server hop occasionally and I see dead playerworlds all over the list. This makes me internally sad. What has happened to Graal? What happened to the golden days of Graal (98-02)? Why have things gotten out of hand so? I've seen playerworld owners who know nothing about playerworlds much at all. They bought it just to have one. That's such a waste and it's really a shame. What happened to the time when PWA's actually reviewed 3-4 servers at a time and posted the results on forums. What happened to Graal's global staff? I'd say make people pass tests before owning playerworlds not chump tests that involve low skills of knowledge about playerworlds but hard ass tests. Excuse my language. I see Graal as another online MMORPG going down the drain and losing players. Graal used to have a population of 2000+ it's just not interesting anymore. It's simply an addictive. And also with so many dead playerworlds on the list. They should be taken OFF the list (RC list), another simply implemented idea is for PWA's to set down a list of rules or things PWs would have to abide too (See Thread Pwa Guidelines on Classic Servers by Crono) . Make PWs have a monthly check and if not passed shut them down. This would cause people to think twice about buying one without knowledge as well as making the people who own Graal much more money as people would repay to buy their playerworld back. Take this into consideration. Graal can regain it's population with a few good playerworlds out. Stefan I hear talk of a 3D engine to make 3D Pws. This would bring definite players to Graal. Also the few promising playerworlds now (Cynical,Esteria,Crisis?,G2k1 (Go Koni),SH, and others) could bring some long needed FUN to Graal I ask you to read this post people and post YOUR replies and thoughts on my perception of Graal these days. Because it bothers me so much that it's gotten this way.

Thank you,
killerogue

REMEMBER, IF YOU REP ME, LEAVE A NAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter View Post
Graal admins don't die. They go to hell and regroup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Without scripters, your graphics and levels wouldn't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Graal Developer
Sage_Shadowbane will become famous soon enough
I agree with you on many points rogue. I am not really sure on what has happened to graal in the past few years...I feel as if its a drug and its draining money from my pockets. The thing is I complain about playing the game yet I persist to upgrade my account time and time again. I think that if the game was f2p(free to play, for those who dont know) like it used to be, we would have a much larger playercount, but of course Stefan and Unix want to make money off of us even though they are probably getting enough money from the failing playerworlds they are recieving which is what, 60$ for like...6 months, a year? I don't know...I could state plenty of reasons why graal is failing and has failed in its past, but there isnt any true point to do it, because in the the end it will cease to be fixed.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
I didn't read what either of you said, but I will later. But I saw your 3 questions and I agree. I think there should be an official playerworld project started, as Graal seriously could do with a new playerworld and one of a good quality, something which is probably best done via the 'official' cyberjoueurs route.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:51 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Not monthly but rather, if something is bad the PWA complain. PWA need to regain their iron fist in quality check.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Global Administration
MysticalDragon is just really niceMysticalDragon is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MysticalDragon Send a message via MSN to MysticalDragon
I agree to an extent.I have not yet seen a playerworld in development in some years(of GREAT quality).Before the P2P thier was players all over trying to complete playerworlds and have the PWA Admin inspect and pass them, Even after P2P this was happening.I'am not to sure why players lack to develop now a days :/.Its confuseing -_-.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
Not monthly but rather, if something is bad the PWA complain. PWA need to regain their iron fist in quality check.
Well Spoken!
http://support.toonslab.com
[email protected]

Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
SL Oldbie
Loakey_P2P is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Loakey_P2P Send a message via Yahoo to Loakey_P2P
well there is only two way's graal makes money off us . and that's apying for playerworld's and account's . if you start taking away people's playerworld's that they payed for , just couse it's not progressing or what not is ruder then rude . besides probally a failure in service on graal's part . not that im a civil defence attorney or anything , but paying for a service that isnt being given some how seem's wrong to me . weither server's player's buy make it or not should not be anyone's worry but the player doing it .

if you make it extremelly hard for a player to make a player world player's are just gona stop trying , which will sink graal further down the hole . not to mention it will take even longer for player's to make pw's . and people are complaining player world's arnt comeing out as is ? we see more decline in the pw's due to the lack of development player's . which has been on a steady decline for awhile now . instead of being replaced by newer , younger , yet still know what their doing developer's we get noob's who dont even know what the editing tool's are , let alone how to use them .

my suggestion to this would be to make a section or new website that would explain all aspect's of graal development . possable put some time into looking for way's to make it easyer to develop . too many developer's keep leaveing graal and no one is steping up to take their place . for as long as ive been developing on graal ive worked with alot of people . some good developer's , some bad . tho ive been on shaded legend alone for the longest time now , but when i started i worked on a few private server's .

i say a few cuse only a few i stuck with for month's or better . but i spent time jumping around helping server's get started where i could . from that time the problem was that all the quility developer's worked on classic server's . the private server's got the player's who couldnt get job's on classic server's , which sucked . the global team , not to be knocking them but they are a small team working over a large list of server's . even if it wasnt an official graal team , but assemble a team of developer's that can go around the server's and give help to the ones that need it . the point of all of this is , help these server's get going , dont add more restriction's and make the process harder .
-Past Sl Jobs * ET/LAT/NAT/LAT Admin/Developer/Admin/Head Admin/Asst. Manager/Manager
-Current Job - Retired

*Sorry you must have mistaken me for someone that cares .
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerogue
Graal can regain it's population with a few good playerworlds out. Stefan I hear talk of a 3D engine to make 3D Pws. This would bring definite players to Graal. Also the few promising playerworlds now (Cynical,Esteria,Crisis?,G2k1 (Go Koni),SH, and others) could bring some long needed FUN to Graal I ask you to read this post people and post YOUR replies and thoughts on my perception of Graal these days. Because it bothers me so much that it's gotten this way.

Thank you,
killerogue
Hey, several things.
Graal's 2k+ population was when it was free ;o.
G2k1 -> Start of P2P w/ several servers following it so that they can test the npc server stuff (very few maybe 3-4 p2p serversss that existed)

G2k1 was so hawt, infact the first p2p was lent to me for a week by someone on Elven Lands in which I made 100 gralats ( and damn that took FOREVER ) and traded the money for a CC (wtf i was like 9/10?) and got my first p2p (and had it for about 6 months before it went for fraud - damn that 100g was hard ;O)

woops? So then my dad reupgraded it - funfun. Played g2k1 until the pcount dropped to nothing ;(
Old 08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Prime Rib of Micronesia
warp2ukew will become famous soon enough
Graal was much more popular before mandatory P2P. I remember playing N-Pulse with "oodles" of players and it was a lot more fun. Now all we do is sit around in NP SPar :X. Also, I remember whne there were very few developing playerworlds online, and those were private. Those were the ones that usually made it, too. Maloria, for instance, was private until released, as well as Era, Mithica, etc. It was better that way because only playerworlds with quality were even allowed to go online.

Last edited by Darlene159; 08-11-2006 at 06:28 PM..
Old 08-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
The expectations need to be lowerd to get on Classic.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Prime Rib of Micronesia
warp2ukew will become famous soon enough
Or we need a 2-3 person PWA hiring, and then PWA actually do something. Things got done when CronoIllusion and Psyker manned PWA. Not so much the case anymore.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
I completely agree with this, some of the current Playerworlds dont even have requirements to be on Classic. I also support my idea to have Globals develope playerworlds. Im sure the chances of it are greater, than of a random Private Playerworld.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Omega
killerogue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to killerogue Send a message via MSN to killerogue
I'm glad a majority of you agree with me.

REMEMBER, IF YOU REP ME, LEAVE A NAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter View Post
Graal admins don't die. They go to hell and regroup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Without scripters, your graphics and levels wouldn't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
I think some of it might have to do with a lack of "talented" people to work.
I think scripters are pretty hard to come by.
Level designers arent as hard to come by.
And good graphics people are somewhere in the middle there.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan
I've seen this suggestion for a while, but it really doesn't matter if you ask me. At the end of the day, I don't think ANY playerworlds are being submitted for classic in the last x years, no playerworld online is near being a full release, so the criteria is quite irrelevant if there are no playerworlds being submitted to test against.

I do agree they may be a bit high, but it doesn't change the fact that no playerworlds are even getting to the stage when they can be tested against the criteria. I personally think the next playerworld that comes a long, asking to be classic, and has reasonable content and quality will be passed regardless - as Graal needs a new world, so I don't think the criteria for becoming a classic playerworld is the big issue for now.

Changing that wont result in a sudden supply of classic worlds.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
People pay to buy playerworlds. That is their problem. Why would they have to get it checked monthly?

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)