Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should the name of the testing server be?
Testbed Server 18 47.37%
The Lab 16 42.11%
Other (Please post below) 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Testing Server

The testing server is called "Testbed Server" (may be changing soon). I will provide an overview of the testing server in this thread. If you have any comments, suggestions or questions feel free to contact the testing server team:
HoudiniMan - Founder
Tig - Founder & Director
Chompy - Scripting Instructor

The ranking system is based off of how many hours you've spent on RC.
The more time you've spent on RC the higher the rank you receive.
To view the top ranks, type "/npc rank top10" in RC. Here are a list of other commands:

HTML Code:
/npc rank myrank                    - Output in RC.
/npc rank pmmyrank                  - Output in PM.
/npc rank time <account [optional]> - Output in RC.
/npc rank top10                     - Output in PM.
/npc rank top3                      - Output in PM.
/npc rank top25                     - Output in PM.
/npc rank refreshtime               - Output in RC.
Available ranks (subject to change):
- Novice
- Testbed Junky
- Elite Member
- Veteran

For more information on the ranking system & updated lists of commands check the comments of "ranks" while you're logged on RC.

What is the testing server?
The testbed server is a server where people who want to learn how to script (or already know how to script) can work on non-playerworld related scripting projects and may join us on RC. To receive an RC contact either me (Tig) or HoudiniMan. The best way to contact me is via AIM (which you may find by clicking the AOL icon to the left of my post), or by logging on to GK and PMing me.

Can I use the testing server to start my playerworld before I buy it?
No. The testing server is strictly for people who need a place to learn GScript2. There are currently no available methods of learning GScript2 unless you work on a server. The testing server provides a chance to learn GScript2 with no commitment to develop for the server itself. People who are found working on their playerworlds on the testbed server will be removed or suspended (unless you're testing something).

Do I qualify to work on the testing server?
That depends. We're not looking for people who want to have an RC so they can upload staff boots & summon scripts that they didn't even make. The testing server is a place for people who are serious about learning how to script may come to practice.

Do I need gold to participate in the testing server?
No! The testing server is available to classic subscribers as well. To get to the testing server simply press F8, and type "test" (may change soon) in the text box near the bottom of the menu, then press enter.

Can I use the testing server to work on my levels, ganis, sound effects, and other development skills?
No, because those are skills that can be practiced primarily offline. The purpose of the testing server is to provide a place to use the current engine instead of the outdated one that the Graal Editor uses.

What happens if I purposely delete massive amounts of content on the testing server?
Depending on the situation you'll receive a global ban and the lost data will be restored to the server, so it's really not worth it. (It's happened before, so beware.)

What happens if I disturb people who are working by being disruptive or abusive?
Depending on the situation you'll be banned from the server for a week or more and blacklisted from receiving an RC there in the future. We're not looking for people who want to be rude and disruptive. If you come on the testing server and misbehave you will receive bans, there is no jailing system on the testing server.

Special thanks to Clockwork aka Aeko for allowing us to use his server.

If you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to let us know!

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

Last edited by Tigairius; 05-15-2011 at 01:35 AM..
Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
I definitely like the Lab.

Nice ranking system, though.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
This is a great idea.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Only the smart people are choosing The Lab as the new server name.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Obviously not.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Obviously not.
Your response is not satisfying.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
The Lab is a horrible name and wouldn't make new people have a clue about what the server is about. Testbed Server is a way better name for that purpose, although I'd rather see something... else.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
The Lab is a horrible name and wouldn't make new people have a clue about what the server is about.
If you're going to be scripting on Graal then you should be using the forums. If you use the forums, then you should not miss the topic that tells you where you can test your scripts.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
I chose the lab, just so I can pretend to be smart like you <3

EDIT: The Sandbox would also be nice, and it makes a bit more sense.

Last edited by cbk1994; 01-01-2009 at 10:54 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Scripter
Devenio is on a distinguished road
'The Lab' does have a nice ring to it ! But ya its a great server to do scripting on there are people you can ask for help, etc.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the the universe.." -Einstein

Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I'm going to be honest, I disagree with the direction you are wanting to take the server in. The problem facing most servers is the lack of developers on the game as a whole; potential developers have no drive to acquire new skills, and those that have them rarely feel like applying these skills. The reason that people are developing less now than they were before is because, to put it simply, it's no longer fun. The development pool being thin isn't limited by the lack of documentation, with an obvious exception with scripting, it's just developing on Graal is no longer providing the entertainment on the scale that it used to.

A testbed server has massive potential in terms of fixing the problems Graal has with development. However, you're limiting it too much, considering the fact that you are trying to encourage people to develop. It really just comes across as contrived, especially with a ranking system based on online time. I know you're trying to encourage people to use the server and everything, but that should probably be done in a little less obvious way.

Successful games are about content, not code, and that is why I believe that the focus of a development-encouraging testbed server should be for all sectors of Graal development not just scripting. Yeah you guys don't have a place to practice or showcase your work unless you purchase a server, but neither do any of the other development areas other than graphics. Level designers can make levels offline, improve their skills through practice and collaboration on the forums of different ideas, but they don't, and neither do gani artists, graphic artists, hell no one does. This is the issue you should be targeting, and as a testbed server is a good platform for a community to practice content development in easy outlet to expressing ideas, it works. Ideally, players would be able to develop alongside other developers, improving their skills together as a community and show off their levels live rather than in screenshots where a lot of the content is stiff. Multi-developers would also benefit from being able to practice and apply their skills on multiple levels, like Dusty did with his Mario remake.

There is a wide variety of areas that you can provide resources for and with actives and 'competitions' development can be fun again. How do you think websites such as DeviantArt and PixelJoint promote development of graphics AND community aspects? Through challenges and community projects. We often have things like this on the forums, scripting practices, level collaborations, but the testbed server can be a great way of showcasing these fun activities to anyone that would like to see them. With an increase of activities and monthly challenges that are linked between the forums and the server, you will see an improvement in the state of the development pool. Improved and applied skills, broader population of design talent, community incentives.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
i may try this :O
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
stuff
The testbed server was originally for scripters only, I wanted it to be for all developers. However, HoudiniMan and Stefan both agreed that it should be for scripters only since you can practice levels, sounds, etc offline.

The ranking system is to simply give a perk to the people who do dedicate a lot of time on the testbed server helping people. Some people on the testbed server log on specifically to sit around and help people, not to learn. Those people should have some sort of reward, don't you agree? How about a higher rank that shows that you're on a lot and probably know what you're doing?

We can't force people to want to develop, all we can do is provide a place for people who want to learn how to do things that can't be accomplished offline.
I know this is not ideal for people like level makers, but as you can see in the many posts in the level sections from people like Dusty and Wan, you don't need a server to make levels. You only need the Graal Editor. Right now scripters are the most suppressed type of developers on Graal because they have no place to practice or learn. The only way to learn GScript2 is if you work on a server. You can learn how to do graphics, levels, sound effects, ganis, and other development fields offline using the other tools which are available. There are no tools available for people who want to learn GScript2, which is the supported scripting language of Graal right now.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I assume since you're going to reward people for time spent on RC, you're also going to start enforcing AFK rules, right? A lot of people just sit on RC and AFK all day long, and never say a thing on RC at all, save once or twice popping in.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 AM
The Blackswan
pooper200000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pooper200000
Script Test & Learning Server <--- It'd be a good idea to have a clear server name. The Lab and testbed aren't as clear for new people, and those are the ones you want to attract. I'm not sure if server names can be that long though.

Tags
testbed server