Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
brokk is on a distinguished road
Damage Blocks

Trigger functions from the player to the player directly to the NPC is easy.
So if the player "swings" it triggers damage on the baddie.

But damaging another player is a different story.

So why not knock out 2 birds with 1 stone?

I want to make "Damage Blocks"....
So when player swings it creates a temp npc and it triggers functions for both players and npcs.

For the players...I could simply do a onPlayerTouchsMe(), but how do I add collision between 2 NPCS?

smh
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
I am very confused about what you're trying to do.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM
C:
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
You can do it that way using a distance formula I guess, but that's probably a bit inefficient. Why not just trigger from a specific location?
PHP Code:
// in front of the player
temp.locations = { player.+ ( vecxplayer.dir ) * ) + 1.1player.+ ( vecyplayer.dir ) * ) + 1.1 };
// trigger in front of the player to an action in NPCs/players
triggerActiontemp.locations], temp.locations], "action to hit the player/npc"parameters ); 
Something similar could be done for NPC -> NPC interaction as well I suppose.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM
brokk is on a distinguished road
How do you make a player trigger a function in another player?

For example...

PHP Code:
//#CLIENTSIDE
function onKeyPressed(codekey)
{
 if (
key == "s")
 {

//Trigger function in this weapon/ in player in this y, and x range

}
 } 
I though about it and the "damage block" idea was more complex then I thought. So I'm sticking with triggering a function for both the NPC and player in seperate lines.

smh
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Generally I prefer to handle that stuff serverside because it's a lot more reliable (i.e. trigger serverside with the attack position, then find out what players have been hit and trigger clientside for them letting them know they've been hit).

Your other main option is to do a trigger like devilsknite1 showed above. It will call onActionWhatever (where "whatever" is the action type) in every clientside weapon that player has.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 AM
C:
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Could players manipulate sent information to the server that way? And if many players were doing that at the same time, would that cause any lag? I mean it would be smaller edits so I wouldn't imagine, but if that was how larger servers like Era functioned, it might get pretty laggy.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1 View Post
Could players manipulate sent information to the server that way? And if many players were doing that at the same time, would that cause any lag? I mean it would be smaller edits so I wouldn't imagine, but if that was how larger servers like Era functioned, it might get pretty laggy.
That is how Era functions, and it works just fine.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
C:
I suppose, but seems a little unreasonable when you can update all the information clientside, eliminating the need to do anything serverside. Would allow for a better projectile system too, unless the point is to run away from bullets :O