Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Unholy Nation --
  • Pikachu Shock NPC
  • Pokeball Catching Players
  • Mario Fire Plant NPC
  • Louigi Fire Plant NPC
  • Pac Man Transform
  • Gani Emote Sounds
    ° Kyle from South Park (shift + e)
    ° Lemmings (shift + y)
    ° Darth Vader from Star Wars (shift + u)
  • Souljaboy NPC
  • Various Dance NPCs (Including sounds)

Now I'm not being a prude, but you guys are looking too into that one hammer NPC and seem to be ignoring the rest.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Unholy Nation --
  • Pikachu Shock NPC
  • Mario Fire Plant NPC
  • Louigi Fire Plant NPC
  • Pac Man Transform
  • Gani Emote Sounds
    ° Lemmings (shift + y)
  • Souljaboy NPC

Now I'm not being a prude, but you guys are looking too into that one hammer NPC and seem to be ignoring the rest.
What good could possibly come of this conversation?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What good could possibly come of this conversation?
They could be removed or modified, and an added bonus would be that maybe for once you would shut the **** up. I am sick to death of your posts now.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
They could be removed or modified, and an added bonus would be that maybe for once you would shut the **** up. I am sick to death of your posts now.
I'm afraid I don't post to amuse you. If you have a problem with them you may have to deal with it on your own.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't post to amuse you. If you have a problem with them you may have to deal with it on your own.
Yeah I do realise that you're inadvertently sucking up with your mediations and constant belittling of other members, but when Tyhm did the same (in a more productive mannor) you didn't like that yourself so I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. Anyway, the outlining of seemingly ripoff NPCs are to promote originality I guess -- easter eggs are great, but using graphics, sound effects as well as the original concept is edging more on uncreative content than anything else.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
you cant copyright a weapon you hopeless... the design maybe but yea...
"hey dude I have copyright on swords you cant do swords, wtf your sword even do the same thing! it cuts ppl."

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Boom!
Quote:
Yeah I do realise that you're inadvertently sucking up with your mediations and constant belittling of other members, but when Tyhm did the same (in a more productive mannor) you didn't like that yourself so I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. Anyway, the outlining of seemingly ripoff NPCs are to promote originality I guess -- easter eggs are great, but using graphics, sound effects as well as the original concept is edging more on uncreative content than anything else.
I'm not sure what you had hoped to gain by referencing a post that's nearly two years old ... Hell, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say, " inadvertently sucking up with your mediations and constant belittling of other members". I haven't belittled another member in a few weeks, and I've been doing so very consciously - I genuinely want this community to progress what it has been stewing in for the past 3 years.

I asked the people posting to stop long before many were outlined - yeesh, only a single item was mentioned and that was in passing. The nature of the thread was to throw a fuss... to get actually get anything constructive done. I mean sure, copyright infringement is bad stuff and all but whatever infringements I've seen on Graal were essentially harmless. However, it's a serious topic and shouldn't be the result of someone (seemingly) throwing a hiss fit.

I guess you're referencing the easter egg event Tigairius and I made for GK? The graphics (of which there were many unique sprites for some mixture) were original, and made by myself. Obviously the concept of easter eggs isn't a new one, and I never harkened the work as original - however, the use of easter eggs was entirely original to Graal, especially when the special effects and "personality" of the eggs are taken into consideration - something I don't think you could do, I don't recall seeing you on during the event... so I can only imagine any information you have about this event, if that is what you're referencing, would be second hand.

On top of this the sound was original and very intentionally mixed with a volley of sounds. The movement was entirely scripted righting only on a single gani (an idle gani). There was a lot of work put into the project over a short period of time with no given warning - a lot of people enjoyed it. I'm not sure what you thought you would gain from mentioning it - once again if that actually was your intent.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
I guess you're referencing the easter egg event Tigairius and I made for GK?
Easter eggs, in media, usually mean a reference to another game, usually honoring it. Like in WoW, they have a Link-look-alike that gives you a sword similar to the Master Sword, as well as a boomerang. The NPC, of course, is not named Link. It's clearly a homage to the Zelda series.

There is a difference in easter eggs and ripping... but I honestly don't know the technical difference. Easter eggs, always, though, do not directly copy what they're honoring. Things are renamed, items are different, yet similar enough so that they're familiar, and most of the time not a major part of the game, but most of the time hidden or offer little or no value.

I think that's the problem with the gravity hammer. Clearly identical design, the same name, and as far as I can tell, a major weapon instead of one just for show.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Quote:
I asked the people posting to stop long before many were outlined - yeesh, only a single item was mentioned and that was in passing. The nature of the thread was to throw a fuss... to get actually get anything constructive done. I mean sure, copyright infringement is bad stuff and all but whatever infringements I've seen on Graal were essentially harmless. However, it's a serious topic and shouldn't be the result of someone (seemingly) throwing a hiss fit.
Who was throwing a hiss fit, really? Dusty and I had the same conversation over AIM a week ago, and it wasn't sparked by a certain event, just distaste for the lack of originality. The discussion of unoriginal items on Graal is what this thread was about, and everyone else seems to have interpreted it that way, other than you. I'm not quite sure who you think you are, or why anyone is going to listen to you "asking the people posting to stop" but really, it's just obnoxious and a little embarrassing. Talking of embarrassing though..

Quote:
I guess you're referencing the easter egg event Tigairius and I made for GK?
Lookup Easter egg (Media) on Wikipedia, if you still don't understand the context I was using it in after Dusty outlined it.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Unholy Nation --
  • Pikachu Shock NPC
  • Mario Fire Plant NPC
  • Louigi Fire Plant NPC
  • Pac Man Transform
  • Gani Emote Sounds
    ° Lemmings (shift + y)
  • Souljaboy NPC

Don't forget the pokemon icons/guild names on Zodiac, the spiderman graal head, and the bat mobile on Era.

Nothing is original, and it's difficult to come up with your own original ideas because it requires people to "think outside of the box." The way the human brain functions, it recalls situations that it has previously experienced and it rearranges them, and that's how ideas are generated. Originality is overrated in my opinion, functionality and how well you can capture the audience is key, originally or not. I agree that people should use their head a bit more and stop copying and pasting in to Graal, but that's more of stealing than being unoriginal.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
bat mobile on Era.
I'd say that was of more an easter egg than rip off.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
I'd say that was of more an easter egg than rip off.
I could have swore I saw the Batman icon on the back of it. That's not a rip off? Okay.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Easter eggs, in media, usually mean a reference to another game, usually honoring it. Like in WoW, they have a Link-look-alike that gives you a sword similar to the Master Sword, as well as a boomerang. The NPC, of course, is not named Link. It's clearly a homage to the Zelda series.

There is a difference in easter eggs and ripping... but I honestly don't know the technical difference. Easter eggs, always, though, do not directly copy what they're honoring. Things are renamed, items are different, yet similar enough so that they're familiar, and most of the time not a major part of the game, but most of the time hidden or offer little or no value.

I think that's the problem with the gravity hammer. Clearly identical design, the same name, and as far as I can tell, a major weapon instead of one just for show.
Not necessarily ... an easter egg is kind of a hidden thing ... for example, might be "swim across the Atlantic Ocean" in Google Maps.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
A proper easter egg of the Batmobile would be... say, a Catmobile, with a cat icon.

As for why, because when you see something called a Catmobile, you'll almost always think, HA! Batmobile. It's so obvious it's funny. There has to be an underlying message, pun, or humor behind an easter egg to give it reason rather than simply wanting to have something from another game.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Not necessarily ... an easter egg is kind of a hidden thing ... for example, might be "swim across the Atlantic Ocean" in Google Maps.
What does Google Map or 'swimming' have to do with easter eggs?
I already stated in my post you quoted that easter eggs are more often than not, hidden.