Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Questions about V6
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Windows 8

Does anyone know if the Graal client and development tools run on Windows 8? I use a mac and have been considering downloading bootcamp and running the Windows 8 ISO off my flash drive (because it's free for beta testing right now) so I can use development tools like Graalshop and Graaleditor. Has anyone successfully downloaded and ran Graal on this new Windows 8 preview?

Thank you for any help!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
I hope so because I'm getting a surface pro when it's released so I can play graal on a tablet.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Why on Earth would anyone want Windows 8?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Why on Earth would anyone want Mac OS X?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
GarageBand <3
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
I bought my Mac when all the comparable windows laptops were using Vista, and my mac was using the Power-PC integrated OSX leopard. While mac was experimenting with extremely fast loadup times, compatibility with old programs, easy backups through time machine, and amateur media editing software (as emera already pointed out, GarageBand, which I still occasionally use to record music when I don't have my friends around to help me with stuff like Abelton); Windows was instead experiment with "HEY, HOW CAN WE MAKE OUR DESKTOP LOOK REALLY REALLY FANCY AT THE COST OF BEING ABLE TO RUN SIMPLE PROGRAMS?!" Macs back then were a godsend for anyone who planned on using a laptop in school (near instant startup, no viruses EVER meaning never losing files, never crashing mid class, etc etc), when the best PC alternative were either crappy netbooks or paying out the wazoo (and you'd still have ended up with either vista or the already-outdated Windows XP). Since then, Mac has ditched power-pc (making everything less compatible), made it as hard as humanly possible to develop freeware (due to the "app store" making so much money), and flown through 3 additional operating systems in the course of 4 years, while Windows buckled down and made an extremely successful Windows 7.

The reason I want Windows 8 now I already explained: It's free. They're beta testing it and you can download it straight from the Microsoft website for free.

I don't understand why people have to be such fanboys about operating systems. Microsoft and Apple are both money-sucking computer conglomerates who intentionally make new software incompatible with old versions so you have to repurchase every major program for every operating system. Neither is "the good guy" and they both have plenty of advantages and disadvantages. Plus, Windows 8 is moving HEAVILY in the direction of Apple as far as the lack of customization and the need to subscribe to their "developers program" in order to create software (aka say goodbye to freeware with windows 8).

TL;DR: shut up and answer the question, or just don't post PLZZZ
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedude View Post
TL;DR: shut up and answer the question, or just don't post PLZZZ
No.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
It will still run all legacy windows applications. Every release after XP I've been skeptical about but windows 8.seems like it's on the right track with the way technology is advancing. I live on my phone so being able to run.legacy apps on a tablet would be a godsend as my Android tablet is no more useful than my phone because of that. I can do every thing from playing wow to tempting into my work to get stuff done on a tiny tablet. What doesn't seen great about it?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Banned
Remoting.. Damn auto correct
Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedude View Post
Since then, Mac has ditched power-pc (making everything less compatible)
Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ass or what? Not that I agree with the rest of your post, but this is a pretty strange statement. They switched to a different processor architecture, and as such, all apps need to be recompiled for the new architecture or be run using emulation software. They had plenty of good reasons for switching off of PPC, too.

The same thing happens in the Linux world. It's just less of a problem because most software tends to be free (as in freedom) and can fairly easily be compiled for new architectures by the community. On OS X it's a bigger problem in a large part because more programs are non-free (and thus can only be recompiled by the developer). The vast majority of software has Intel versions available now (even Graal).

Quote:
Microsoft and Apple are both money-sucking computer conglomerates who intentionally make new software incompatible with old versions so you have to repurchase every major program for every operating system.
If you don't understand how the change to Intel chips necessitated the transition, then you shouldn't be talking about it.

Your comment about Microsoft is particularly ridiculous. Microsoft goes to incredible lengths to keep new versions of Windows compatible with old software, even building in quirks in their operating system so old apps continue to run. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Spolsky, "How Microsoft Lost the API War"
I first heard about this from one of the developers of the hit game SimCity, who told me that there was a critical bug in his application: it used memory right after freeing it, a major no-no that happened to work OK on DOS but would not work under Windows where memory that is freed is likely to be snatched up by another running application right away. The testers on the Windows team were going through various popular applications, testing them to make sure they worked OK, but SimCity kept crashing. They reported this to the Windows developers, who disassembled SimCity, stepped through it in a debugger, found the bug, and added special code that checked if SimCity was running, and if it did, ran the memory allocator in a special mode in which you could still use memory after freeing it.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
I'm glad somebody else shares my opinion. I think it's the worst OS ever, centered around the stupidest possible idea.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
It will still run all legacy windows applications. Every release after XP I've been skeptical about but windows 8.seems like it's on the right track with the way technology is advancing. I live on my phone so being able to run.legacy apps on a tablet would be a godsend as my Android tablet is no more useful than my phone because of that. I can do every thing from playing wow to tempting into my work to get stuff done on a tiny tablet. What doesn't seen great about it?
Removing the start button and forcing "Metro" (they stopped using that term because of copyrights) on bootup.

For tablets, ok cool. But for desktops? I'll stick with Windows 7, thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned
You aren't forced into metro as long as you're not in RT. You can only boot into metro but you have the option to switch to a desktop version
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
You aren't forced into metro as long as you're not in RT. You can only boot into metro but you have the option to switch to a desktop version
Without a start button.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
GK Manager
Sky is a glorious beacon of lightSky is a glorious beacon of lightSky is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Sky
I have my laptop dual booting with windows 8 and I will confirm graal does run on it. Although, what happened was I couldn't get any kind of drivers for my video card. So, obviously everything was massive and was annoying. D:

On a side note though, windows 8 is garbo...Win 7 all day!