Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 PM
i8bit is an unknown quantity at this point
Copyright Issues?

Seeing that Graal is free to play, why is content from popular genres not allowed?

For example, building a server based off of popular shows like DBZ, Naruto, etc. Or even off of games like Mega Man or Pokemon. (Not using actual sprites and such off the games, just the idea and concepts.)

If you look at other 2D MMO makers such as XtremeWorlds, and Eclipse, they make servers based off of popular genres left and right?

What's stopping Graal Servers?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Butterscotch Pudding
shrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to behold
When did Graal become Free? o.o Did I miss something?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimps View Post
When did Graal become Free? o.o Did I miss something?
You can play as guest can you not? And didn't they remove OM from classic servers?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Butterscotch Pudding
shrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to behold
Hell if I know, I've been Classic for years. I assumed people still had to pay to play. lol
Old 05-13-2014, 02:30 AM
Shaded Legend Management
CujoDaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CujoDaMan Send a message via MSN to CujoDaMan
You also no longer need Gold to work on UC servers.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 AM
Pizza Wizard
PhantosP2P will become famous soon enough
Trials are treated as gold accounts and I sincerely hope that does not change. It was a big gift to us from Stefan and Unixmad, and anyone else working at their company, for the holidays of 2013.

That being said, I don't know if it's wise to bring any legal issues to them due to copywritten content. There's a lot you can do to bend ideas to make them new ideas. We do it on Valikorlia a lot, changing free rules from Dungeons and Dragons for example.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantosP2P View Post
Trials are treated as gold accounts and I sincerely hope that does not change. It was a big gift to us from Stefan and Unixmad, and anyone else working at their company, for the holidays of 2013.

That being said, I don't know if it's wise to bring any legal issues to them due to copywritten content. There's a lot you can do to bend ideas to make them new ideas. We do it on Valikorlia a lot, changing free rules from Dungeons and Dragons for example.

So you could use same ideas and such, just change names around?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Elite Member
Torankusu has a spectacular aura aboutTorankusu has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8bit View Post
So you could use same ideas and such, just change names around?
or, alternatively, parody it.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
You still have to rent a server, and that way, they will sort of make money off your project and its materials

If your project succeeds, it will require the host to invest more money into your project and find alternatives to get money from, thats where it becomes difficult...

Quote:
If you look at other 2D MMO makers such as XtremeWorlds, and Eclipse, they make servers based off of popular genres left and right?
There's a difference between "Servers" and "Games", it is all lead back to where the intellectual property is hosted on.
If it violates any points in law, and depending on the damage the infringers are causing, the rightful subject owners will or will not make a move.

Even if someone is not making money off someone else's property, depending on its use, you may cause severe damage to the Company (e.g taking away potential customers who would rather play a worse free version, than purchase any of the already given paid options, whichever it may be)

I will just save time for any related Staff and quote this from a similar Service to Graal Online

Quote:
Greetings, (censored),

I was hoping to make a development post today, as we've got some cool new things under the hood. Now that the site is reasonably speedy (is it? Let me know!) and we've almost got a stable software release, we've moved onto some long-requested feature creep. I can't make promises as we're in the evaluation stage but we may be able to sneak a thing or two into version 481 (hopefully without breaking a thing or three).

However, this was all disrupted this morning when I got an "abuse" alert from our ISP.

In a nutshell, FUNimation-- owners of Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Soul Eater, and a whole bunch of other stuff I've never heard of-- has decided that fan-based games using their intellectual property are not welcome here and has requested we remove them.

All told, 24* games were listed in the complaint. I am not sure what their exact criteria is as some were excluded, and some were rather dubious (eg, AirMapster's "Draggin'Ballz4k"-- a parody of DBZ where players drag balls around a screen-- was considered infringing! What?) We have no choice at this time but to oblige with the request as our ISP is taking a heavy hand. However, we can contest speculative claims at a later date.

I outlined my opinion on fangames earlier. In a nutshell, I don't personally have a problem with them and in fact think they only help the original IP holders in promoting their brand. I DO have a problem with them dominating our site and turning it into a DBZ/Naruto hub, because that doesn't give us mainstream appeal. We addressed that in the earlier site update. I think that any kind of medium that inspires someone to learn how to design & develop something is a great thing, even if it isn't wholly original. That said...

I have known for some time that we were walking a fine line here, because, unfortunately, my opinion as to the harmlessness (or even benefit) of fangames does not hold up in a court of law. Essentially, whoever owns the IP makes the law, and if they say "no go", so be it. We have to suppress 24 games now, probably more down the line. Now suppressing a game doesn't kill it-- we have no control over that as games are not hosted here; it just removes it from our website. Those of you continuing to operate such games should keep in mind that you or your ISP may get contacted by the IP holders as we have, but that is out of our jurisdiction.

I'll do my best to work with these agents to see if they can understand where we're coming from here. It is a longshot, but perhaps they can grant exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, dealing with large companies can be futile because they understandably have to make blanket rules to deal with all of their traffic.

In the meantime, the best advice I can give is to produce original games. They are the only medium that is free of this legal nonsense and, as an added bonus, can be promoted on our new site. Fangames can always be converted to "original" games after the fact; although I acknowledge that they may lose some of their luster in doing so.

I apologize to the developers who invested countless hours following their dreams, only to hit this setback because someone else had the same dreams first.

Last edited by Elk; 05-13-2014 at 04:04 PM..