FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Varia Developer
Angel_Light is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel_Light Send a message via MSN to Angel_Light
Varia

.-~VARIA~-.
Public Beta

I, Mr. Omega (Angel_Light) am proud to release the first beta release of Varia.

In this release there is about 30 - 50 mins of game play. The Character 1 story arc is now available to play all the way up Big Boss in Dungeon 1.

I hope you will come and check out Varia and leave some input of what you think.

Please keep in mind this is a beta so you might come across bugs/glitches. Please report them to me, by forum PM or email [email protected], and they will be fixed with much haste. There are also some levels that are not fully detailed yet, please give me time to get them developed. The outlines of the levels though are complete so you won't wandering far into undeveloped area.

There is still much detail to be added for your enjoyment, but in the mean time come enjoy Varia.

First half of the walk through. From Logging on right up to the First Dungeon Entrance.

Second half of the walk through. From Entering the Dungeon right up to the Big Boss.

And here's a couple snapshots. =]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379547748.png
Views:	134
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	55493   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379547830.png
Views:	143
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	55494   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379547858.png
Views:	155
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	55495   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379547901.png
Views:	125
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	55496   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379547965.png
Views:	144
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	55497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379548000.png
Views:	144
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	55498   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379548052.png
Views:	137
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	55499   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379548076.png
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	55500   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379548096.png
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	55501   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1379548313.png
Views:	147
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	55502  

Last edited by Angel_Light; 09-19-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Keyboard only GUI is pretty lame.

Not being able to type in my name with my full keyboard is also lame.

Name is cut off in GUI: http://puu.sh/4uLB7.png

I can open Stats during the opening cutscene. I also can't skip the opening cutscene.

Can't interact with the 'sign GUI' with my mouse. Mailbox doesn't work properly with mouse controls.

Ran around, got the rabbit boots then I stopped playing because I don't read and didn't want to figure out where to go.

Being able to name myself ****MESANTA was pretty amusing.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:53 AM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
The mapped keys that in the options menu don't correspond to the keys in the game, I don't use the arrow keys when I play Graal.

Village elder gave me 80 quantums twice, is that supposed to happen?

Seems if you press A to end a dialog it will give you the items twice, also happened with the basic sword/class D permit, presumably because you talk to him again before the flag is set. You should probably be checking and setting the flag on the server, as it may be due to latency between setting the flag on the server and checking the flag on the client.

As a result of the last two I now have two class D permits and 99 quantums probably because of a wallet limit.

The baddies handle really poorly.

Doing the sword spin seems to snap you to your nearest integer position for some reason?

Last edited by Hezzy002; 09-19-2013 at 03:05 AM..
Old 09-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
I like the concept behind it a lot! Theres still plenty of room to improve the visual experience though!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
i agree concept is gr8
Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Graal Developer
Rave_J can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Rave_J Send a message via MSN to Rave_J Send a message via Yahoo to Rave_J
did no one notice when you set our head on the start up it doesn't set your head in game example start up screen i did head 365 once i enter the game it was the default noob head. I don't get the start up video you are watching it seeing city like buildings etc in the video so it makes you think its a modern server. Then when you get into the game its the opposite of what you are showing in the story movie.. Also when I was on the server last night the q menu graphics never load just default gui boarder and buttons.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Looking pretty cool so far. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Varia Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rave_J View Post
I don't have that head loaded in my heads folder, if you could email it to me I'll upload it, sorry.
The story takes place post modern - apocalyptic time, humans have resorted to a medieval way of life, but in the Water story arc, after diving down three levels in the great ocean, you will have to explore a modern city in ruins, and go to a dungeon in there. There's also another modern city ruins you go to in Thunder Arc which located in the desert.
I'll check on the qmenu graphics and see what's going on there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Need to adjust the width of the text GUI, will fix that, as for that hilarious name I'll add some generic swear filter to that. People will always find a work around to break it, that where I'll need staff to make sure people don't due that. xP
I actually intended the server to be played with using a 12 button game pad, but I do plan to go back through and add mouse support for everything here soon. I don't think I'll add typing support for the name creation though, unless there's enough voice saying to do so, I rather like the keyboard way of doing it, will add mouse support so you can just click the letter though.
I'll fix the stats window opening and I have planned to add to a skip button just have not gotten to it yet.

Need to add a check so when closing dialogue with A, it won't send the function twice to open it.

I'm contemplating putting the baddies on clientside since everyone's latency seems to be huge issue with them. In the video my latency was relatively low and I had no real issues with the baddies.

Keep in mind folks this is still a very early beta release with much content and detail to be added still. This is only the first dungeon of the Wind story arc.
I expect bugs and glitches, I don't have another person that can test stuff to see how it goes for them. That's why I'm releasing some content, this early, to get feedback on game play and get the online mechanics worked out.
So my apologies if it seems sloppy/rushed, it's a very early beta as I have stated.

Last edited by Angel_Light; 09-20-2013 at 01:51 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Varia Developer
Here's an update of what's been going on Varia this past week.

Mostly been working on the baddie system, it seems to be a big source of issues currently.

So I've taken a few methods of interpolation to make the baddie appear smooth and more responsive. A few of the steps I have taken is when a trigger is sent to the baddie, I have it receive clientside and hold the script until serverside catches it. Kinda did a hackish sort of method for communicating server <-> client, dealing with attr's and gani's.

Interpolated the movement so the baddie doesn't jump around anymore. It will still do it though with a very high latency, but the normal 250ms it's appears quite smooth.

As with any form of interpolation, the baddies might appear slightly different to everyone but overall location, health, and animation will remain constant for everyone.

I have a few more things I want to test and debug with the new baddie system, but I will be releasing the new system this Thursday evening.
Come check and test it out and tell me your thoughts on the new system. =]