Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Lourne is on a distinguished road
Random Level

Looking for some input. Likes, dislikes, constructive criticism. It's been a long time since I've made anything in the Graal Editor. Not a big fan of random tiles for detailing levels, either...so...

I guess the only way to get better is practice, here's the level. Basically a transition level from somewhere into a town. I tried to keep it practical, yet appealing and playable. Keeping most of the blocking tiles out of the way so the level has good playability and flow.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal.png
Views:	267
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	51675  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I used to turn my big cliffs the same way but nowadays I use the "pyramid" style instead. The style you're using doesn't really make much sense, the rear view is as big if not bigger than the front view.

only thing i don't like are the trees. think you could do better with the normal tile ones.

rest looks alright, pretty good for its style.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks Crono.

What exactly is the "pryamid style"? I've been away from graal for a while and have no idea what that looks like.

I agree on the trees. They kind of looked out of place, but I didn't know what else to do with wanting to place them on swamp tiles. I guess I could've just removed the swamp tiles underneath the trees. I will do that when I get home from work.

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
This level is pwetty imo, but Crono is right.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 AM
So, I got home and searched the forums thoroughly for the 'pyramid' style...I think I found it. Kind of weird doing it like this, but it does look better. Anyways, I gave it a shot and changed some stuff. Any better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal2.png
Views:	243
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	51676  
Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Loads better, great job
Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Mercury
Sp_lit will become famous soon enough
Yepp, much better
Old 09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
scooter123 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourne View Post
So, I got home and searched the forums thoroughly for the 'pyramid' style...I think I found it. Kind of weird doing it like this, but it does look better. Anyways, I gave it a shot and changed some stuff. Any better?
Good job +rep
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
well done :]
Old 09-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Classic iPhone LAT
LordOfPi13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to LordOfPi13
Good job! I also think that the trees would look better tiled. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but it bugs me how both waterfalls are the same width. But thats just imo
Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I don't understand how a waterfall can appear from a pond and then turn into a shallow pond. It doesn't look right and that really puts me off the level.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I don't understand how a waterfall can appear from a pond and then turn into a shallow pond. It doesn't look right and that really puts me off the level.
I don't like it either, but I have no graphic skills to make a work around for it, so instead of shallow water running down a cliff, I made due with what the tileset gave me.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
It's a river stream... it has not just appeared lol
Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
I like it.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourne View Post
I don't like it either, but I have no graphic skills to make a work around for it, so instead of shallow water running down a cliff, I made due with what the tileset gave me.
can always have the deep water go further up