Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Zone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 AM
The Bacon Man
BboyEatsbacon will become famous soon enough
Backstory to Zone

Alright, so here's the deal.

As a developer of Zone iPhone, I'm going to try to not stray from Zone PC tradition as I form new updates, so what's the story with Zone?

What was it's fall? What kind of updates did it have? Why is it so bad now compared to say, 04-05, that makes it unplayable to the point where none of the community logs in? What did everyone absolutely love about Zone?

If someone could compile a short story of Zone's history, it's falls, and everything else, it would be great. I know this is a lot to ask for, but I'd like some sort of a "resource" to follow when I'm creating a new update to spill out onto the iPhone server.

Thanks and much appreciated,
BboyEatsbacon
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Führer Glazey
dude2020 is a jewel in the roughdude2020 is a jewel in the rough
The fall was the tighter restrictions on trials along with the pay2win cash shop. The restrictions have been removed but it was too late. It had little updates and the updates we did have were bad.

New CTF: Terrible, just way to small and hectic.
New Snowy Deathmatch: Just a terrible level. Way too huge, cluttered like no tomorrow, 4 spawn points.
PlanetPoints: Re colors and just another shop that Zone doesn't need.
Weapons, tons and tons of weapons. There's just way too many weapons and they still need balancing. I'll have to login into Zone and see which ones that need adjusting.
Events, once the items became temporary, they started hosting like crazy. It used to be a rarity and meant something.

What went good however, was the introduction of the squad system. If they would of focused on this other than those bad ideas, Zone could possibly have a small community still. Another thing that made Zone great was it's pure PvP gameplay. Absolutely no PvE what so ever. Everyone has equal footing from the start to the end. The pure competitiveness is what drove players to keep logging in and get whatever their goal was, this was also the main reason why everyone loved Zone

I really wish iZone was more like Zone PC. The changes were just way too drastic for me to accept it's Zone and I refuse to be apart of it but if I can help steer it to more of it's traditional place, I'll help you with anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Zone started its very early life as a Classic server but that's not important. What's important is its post-Classic history so I'll just stick to that.

Back then trials would reset everytime they logged onto any Graal server. With that said, they had no restrictions or limitations, so everything was on even grounds. There were no player imbalances in Zone, just weapon meta and player skill. Zone had a good playercount and an active guild community. At some point ET members were hired (I think the first pair were Kevin and Maximus, even tho u guys r noobs olololol <3). Later on we started hosting off weapons, but these were semi-rare and not really overpowered. They were earned through tough conditions aswell, so it was justified.

Then came the trial restrictions. Trials now started at 80hp and couldn't join guilds. This killed off a lot of the guild activity, which took a hit on the guild community. Things weren't too bad though, as there was still a decent playercount and the server was pretty balanced.

Then came Graal v5. When this was released, I pretty much called RIP for Zone. Trials were even more restricted (couldn't play for more than a certain period of time, limited vision through annoying borders) which killed off any trial population Zone had left. v5 meant you had to upgrade regularly to play and introduced stupid **** like the cash shop. It was basically pay to win at this point, buy guns with real money to gain a huge advantage over players. If you weren't upgraded you couldn't play the Commando class, the only useful one on Arctic, so there was really no point to play Zone. The normal shop items (guns etc) were now temporary which was complete bull. People didn't wanna stick around for this, so they quit.

In the past it was great because everybody was on equal ground. The only differing factors were which gun you used (which everyone had access to), what class you used (which everyone had access to), and how good you were at the game. After v5 it became a money game, where none of the above was applicable.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM
The Bacon Man
BboyEatsbacon will become famous soon enough
@Glazey

Hmm, then I'm definitely leaving PvP and Squad PvP as a top priority in whatever I am forced to implement.

Seems that both the iOS community and you agree that there doesn't need to be a hectic amount of weapons, so I'll be sure to pass that on to the rest of the team. We've already gotten it established that no further weapons are to be produced, seeing as that we have 100s pre-made that we still must spur over a time period. I kind of like the way guns are right now- they're all pretty balanced and while some may have a slight edge over another, skill can easily conquer it.

Thank you for your summary and feedback of Zone PC. I'll be sure to keep it in mind for iZone.

@Both
Not saying that any of this would happen: But let's say the "buying guns system" was ridded of and classes were reintroduced, how would Stefan and Stephane produce income? I understand that this is much better for the player's end, and I like the idea, but I also have to keep in mind that there has to be profit else it's a useless add-on.
I understand this wasn't the original purpose of the thread, but I'd like to get concerns out of the way and forming a new thread seems just next to useless.

Scratch that, they could still heavily gain income from the small items that don't affect PvP, the customs, and the appearance shops. Would this generate a big enough exchange in players so that it would be a profitable add-in?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Führer Glazey
I suggested this in place of the current shop system; The addition of experience gain, bounty gain and others to the shop along with the removal of all the PvP changing things on it.

Appearances seems to be a big thing with the iOS community, so if you keep the prices low, you should be able to make a nice amount of profit from it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
iClassic has a ton of non-gameplay changing micro-transactions and they seem to be working just fine. I don't think Stefan will agree to removing unbalanced pay2win garbage though, because he's had like 6 years to do that on Zone and refuses to. I haven't played iZone but if they have strong cash guns then a step in the right direction would be to nerf them.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Higherups on Graal seem to think cash shops are only successful when they bring pay2win elements, which is incorrect. Several other online games sell 0 items that affects gameplay, and are just cool skins of already existing stuff. Vanity items is the way to go. Outfits, hats, weapon skins etc.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Higherups on Graal seem to think cash shops are only successful when they bring pay2win elements, which is incorrect. Several other online games sell 0 items that affects gameplay, and are just cool skins of already existing stuff. Vanity items is the way to go. Outfits, hats, weapon skins etc.
See Team Fortress 2, by far the most successful free to play game right now, or so I'd say at least.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
See Team Fortress 2, by far the most successful free to play game right now, or so I'd say at least.
Dota 2 imo.

Some will say LoL but that game is pay2win so gtfo.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Dota 2 imo.

Well, can't say anything about it. Didn't like the original DotA, so I haven't played DotA 2 yet.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Didn't like the original DotA, so I haven't played DotA 2 yet.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
DotA 2, HoN, MapleStory (at least when I played maaaaaany years ago, dunno about now), Team Fortress 2... list can easily be expanded.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Dota 2 imo.

Cant you just buy skins and champions with money? Stuff effecting the gameplay are only purchaseable with EP which you can only gain from games you win/lose. Not possible to gain them with money.

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoX View Post
Cant you just buy skins and champions with money? Stuff effecting the gameplay are only purchaseable with EP which you can only gain from games you win/lose. Not possible to gain them with money.
Buying champions is pretty ****ing game breaking when they're not available to everyone. You can also buy items that increase how fast you level up, so you can reach that holy level 12 and have flash, while those in the same game and lower can't use it.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Führer Glazey
I thought that the champions that you could buy were able to be bought with whatever their in-game currency was?