Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Lack of UDP support in the new Graal Client

Remade as a thread instead of a post as per Stefan's suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
- removed UDP support because it doesn't work for most people anymore
Removing UDP support is not going to be received well on classic servers such as Unholy Nation. I understand that it won't affect Graal in a wider sense, but for activities such as sparring, the UDP support we had/have in the Graal v5 client plays an important role as it provides smoothness. Not only that but I am from the United Kingdom and while I don't use UDP for data packages everyone just appears to be skippy in general, as I do to them.

I don't think removing this feature is going to sit well with players.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Lemmy Koopa (Koopalings)
EclipsedAngel has a spectacular aura about
Instead of removing UDP altogether, how about working to improve the coding? UDP works fine with all my other applications, so it has to be the coding.

Latency when using TCP is very annoying, and adjusting yourself to time the delay when sparring is absolutely annoying. It's a bunch of mind games, and the best way around it was using UDP.

I also liked the microphone function, but I guess that's gone now too.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
holy **** that is ridiculous. why would you remove support for something so crucial to the smoothness of gameplay? if anything, you should add more support for UDP instead of getting rid of it

seriously stop ruining what little we have left
Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
stupid choice but stefan doesnt play graal so whatever
Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 AM
Talbourn is on a distinguished road
I happen to find UDP to be very beneficial when playing Graal with other players who use it. It cuts down the latency and sword delay between players. Especially since UN seems to lag a lot more since Maloria has been put back up on the Classic server list.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I fully understand how the removal of UDP would ease the streamlining of the client, I even see a scripting benefit it would provide such as with more accurately appearing damage involving triggers, where the use of UDP might make it appear inaccurate.

The problem I see in removing it is that there is alot of players that highly favour the use of it when sparring, PKing or playing events with the basic sword combat etc.
I have experienced seemingly real time spars when myself and a geographically nearby opponent have both used UDP, it's even improved the quality of sparring when facing somebody a long distance away that would usually have very unpredictable lag.

When you consider that it is community based content such as spars and events that keeps the majority of players occupied (and this is coming from somebody who highly stresses the importance of solid content), a change like this could possibly do more damage than good.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
It seems stupid to me that I would have to open a port for a game that I'm not hosting.

Hopefully streamlining the client means improving the networking code as well, and other improvements to return the "smooth" feel that apparently UDP (I don't use it) gives.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
It seems stupid to me that I would have to open a port for a game that I'm not hosting.

Hopefully streamlining the client means improving the networking code as well, and other improvements to return the "smooth" feel that apparently UDP (I don't use it) gives.
I'm considerably sure the reason UDP was any smoother was not because it was UDP, but because it was a direct connection to the other client, which could also be done with TCP.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I'm considerably sure the reason UDP was any smoother was not because it was UDP, but because it was a direct connection to the other client, which could also be done with TCP.
So I decided to try out the V5 Client and wanted to confirm this. I am seeing other players IPs in my list of active UDP connections.

It would be cool if Stefan had regional nodes for this kind of setup instead of forcing everyone to connect to each other.

Last edited by fowlplay4; 03-07-2011 at 06:22 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 AM
GREATEST
Ares is on a distinguished road
just when you think this game cant get worse..
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM
dmhabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
just when you think this game cant get worse..
I agree....
The addition to Maloria on the classic list has already made UN laggy and I see a dramatic decrease in sparring because of it. Removing the UDP function of Graal will Cripple sparring,Pking, maybe even some events. I wouldn't advise it.

Warhawk Dynasty (BTK)
Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
The only way UDP can not "work for most people anymore" is if it is badly coded. This is ridiculous.

Not using UDP for things like player movement is terrible and simply asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
I fully understand how the removal of UDP would ease the streamlining of the client, I even see a scripting benefit it would provide such as with more accurately appearing damage involving triggers, where the use of UDP might make it appear inaccurate.
No. UDP is an optional unreliable but fast protocol. There is no need to use it for things like triggers which need to be reliale. You seem to be implying that people would have to choose between UDP or TCP, which is not the case.

Player movement is something that needs to happen using UDP.

Also, there are awesome libraries like RakNet that provide reliable and optionally ordered UDP.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
The only way UDP can not "work for most people anymore" is if it is badly coded. This is ridiculous.

Not using UDP for things like player movement is terrible and simply asking for trouble.

No. UDP is an optional unreliable but fast protocol. There is no need to use it for things like triggers which need to be reliale. You seem to be implying that people would have to choose between UDP or TCP, which is not the case.
I don't think you understand where I'm coming from, when you're scripting a form of damage there's a very narrow range of mechanisms that support UDP, the way the Default aswell as Classic's custom HD works is to scan other players gani's to see if it is an attack and then process the appropriate hitboxes, UDP is obviously fine with this as it is sending players coordinates and gani data, another method which also works via UDP is a direct triggeraction on a coordinate that can be received by other players within a weapon.

When it comes to triggering to the server and handling damage from there UDP can often cause confusion, as the coordinate you may see a player on your own client may vary highly from the coordinate you'd receive from the server, which is ofcourse handling the damage.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
The way Graal was using UDP was fast but doesn't work for most people: people behind NATs, also on iPhone, Android, Flash/Facebook. It's also possible to use UDP for exchanging data between server and client, we can try that in the future. This kind of data exchange was previously used in Graal3D.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The way Graal was using UDP was fast but doesn't work for most people: people behind NATs, also on iPhone, Android, Flash/Facebook. It's also possible to use UDP for exchanging data between server and client, we can try that in the future. This kind of data exchange was previously used in Graal3D.
UDP makes players much much smoother. On UN there was a big movement to help fix everyone's UDP, to the extent where the majority were using UDP over TCP. This helped keep spars fair, as TCP is too skippy which only makes it worse if it's a North American player vs a European.