Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Interestingly most people who complain about the gfx are people who never played the original Classic x-x The current tileset on PC doesn't look a lot like what it was in 98/99. The new cliffs are older than the trees (I think) What we try to preserve with the iPhone version is the Classic gameplay. Part of the reason why we modified the graphics is also so that people cannot say it's just a ripoff of Zelda. The game is quite popular in Japan
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned
Umat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Interestingly most people who complain about the gfx are people who never played the original Classic x-x
The tiles are **** and broken. Get a good GFX artist to do them instead so it's done properly. This has nothing to do with me playing the original classic. I just think the tiles look awful.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Naytria is on a distinguished road
What's this you say, Stefan?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
I like the water, the cliffs and the rocks. But I liked more the old spar arena and castle :o

Last edited by Nataxo; 02-26-2010 at 12:25 AM..
Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
We are working on the spar arena, it's true that some modifications were made in a hurry but we also wanted to get everything ready for the promotion which is running today on freeappaday.com
Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Interestingly most people who complain about the gfx are people who never played the original Classic x-x
Irrelevant, the graphical updates do not look good. I know a lot of others like me have been playing for a decade and although we weren't part of the original Classic we still played Graal and stopped by the server since.

Quote:
Part of the reason why we modified the graphics is also so that people cannot say it's just a ripoff of Zelda.
Wasn't that the whole purpose behind Konidias' tileset to begin with? Changing graphics isn't bad but when you change the graphics to an uglier version it becomes a problem. Also, why do you care if people say it's a rip off? So what if Graal was heavily influenced on the look and gameplay of Zelda: A Link to the Past? This has been an aspect of Graal we've loved, and apparently the iPhone players love too.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Wasn't that the whole purpose behind Konidias' tileset to begin with? Changing graphics isn't bad but when you change the graphics to an uglier version it becomes a problem. Also, why do you care if people say it's a rip off? So what if Graal was heavily influenced on the look and gameplay of Zelda: A Link to the Past? This has been an aspect of Graal we've loved, and apparently the iPhone players love too.
The whole Zelda thing is an ongoing issue, which have two relevant points with iphone:
1) The more people who see it, the more who may complain. Or rather, the more Nintendo (or whoever) may have a reason to care if it's seen as a big thing that they should be getting some royalties for. I'm not saying they should, but there are a lot of similarities that could be of issue.
2) Apple are sensitive about their apps, not adding many for stupid reasons or removing them in seconds. If there are direct copies or very similar graphics in the app then I'm sure a complain or two would have it taken off the appstore rather quickly. Best to avoid it considering the growth and popularity of the app.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Lemmy Koopa (Koopalings)
EclipsedAngel has a spectacular aura about
Well Graal is based off Zelda 3, but that's what makes it a really fun game.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Hey just chiming in here to say the graphics look fine imo and grats on the success of the iPhone app.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
The current tileset on PC doesn't look a lot like what it was in 98/99.
Tileset from 1999:

Tileset on current PC Classic:

Quote:
Part of the reason why we modified the graphics is also so that people cannot say it's just a ripoff of Zelda.
It is....

Quote:
What we try to preserve with the iPhone version is the Classic gameplay.
Ripping a bunch of levels from the server in the year 2007 which were actually quite modern in terms of tiling style and with barely any detail in terms of player manipulation or NPC interaction is a far cry from what I believe is Classic gameplay.

The phrase "Classic style gameplay" is used an awful lot and quite alot of the time I think it's used in the wrong context, this isn't helped by there being so many different versions of the Classic server throughout the years but regardless I cannot see how iPhone relates to any of them.

I think that if you want to replicate Classic gameplay Zelda is something you should be taking a closer look at.
If you want to stay away from Zelda as much as you can I can't really see the iPhone project fulfilling its potential.

A surprising amount of guests which play iPhone have been logging onto the PC server as of late, many of which i've spoken to and they all seem to be attracted to the Zelda aspects of the game and a few have mentioned that they are disappointed with the tileset changes especially having seeing how it is on the PC server.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark910 View Post
The whole Zelda thing is an ongoing issue, which have two relevant points with iphone:
1) The more people who see it, the more who may complain. Or rather, the more Nintendo (or whoever) may have a reason to care if it's seen as a big thing that they should be getting some royalties for. I'm not saying they should, but there are a lot of similarities that could be of issue.
2) Apple are sensitive about their apps, not adding many for stupid reasons or removing them in seconds. If there are direct copies or very similar graphics in the app then I'm sure a complain or two would have it taken off the appstore rather quickly. Best to avoid it considering the growth and popularity of the app.
Changing a few relatively decent tiles to completely un-matching and (in the case of the cliff) horrible ones is not the right direction to go. Graal has more in common with Zelda than simply tiles, so Nintendo would still have it's reasons to whine. Should this ever be a problem it's going to go down anyway.

There's also no excuse for some scrubby LAT(s) to be trying to LAT and ruining everything they touch. Burger Refuge looks horrid and I can imagine future updates ruining Classic. This was my original point, the graphics are funny but the main point of my post was the fact that oldschool areas are being re-LATed (and not even properly at that). Before anyone goes "LOL CRNO Y U NO HELP" I actually showed some interest but some guy has personal issues with Rufus that apparently affects me somehow.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
crno y u no help
Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
Out of curiousity, who is staff on Graal Classic Iphone? I thought it mainly was Stefan, Unixmad & Skyld?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima View Post
Out of curiousity, who is staff on Graal Classic Iphone? I thought it mainly was Stefan, Unixmad & Skyld?
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=501
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima View Post
Developers:

Stefan
Xor
Skyld
fp4
Azrael

GPs:

Azrael
iPanda
Jezzle
Nataxo
Gabriel