Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.56 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Nyx
zod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portal View Post
being able to open rc without having to be in client would be nice if possible.
It could be a massive pain to have to be in client every time i wanted to be in rc
Same here.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
I think it's great. Tested on my pc and mother in laws, all fine no issues.

I would like to see a better functioning file directory- you can't download multiple files (only one at a time) same with deleting.

Great job

Last edited by xAndrewx; 09-23-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 02:37 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Very good work and i'm excited to see a bit more focus on RC for iOS and Android, although i do not support the external RC being disabled. Any reason for it?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
I really don't want external RC going away. How exactly am I supposed to restart a server when all the serverside scripts are inactive until the server starts up?? Plus I am constantly experiencing disconnections on player which would result in lost time, script progress, and updating comments... Plus I don't wanna deal with an upload menu for files, I drag and drop files all day. Anyway, bad idea. You need to figure out some way to create a new external RC.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Do you want to lose the last few scripters on Graal, 'cause this is a very good way to make that happen in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:01 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Do you want to lose the last few scripters on Graal, 'cause this is a very good way to make that happen in my opinion.
Dusty is right, a lot of development staff are going to quit.

Operation kill PC is in full effect.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:44 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
backing this.

There are tons of people willing to put effort into building a new external RC, make an API or something available so we can create secure third-party RCs.

The lack of OS native GUI elements and terrible font rendering pretty much makes any scripted RC inferior in that regard.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
I can't see it happening. Instead of opening RC you'll open the client. What makes you think it will have an impact?

Most new players on Graal have no idea what external RC is or how to use it.

Maybe I'm looking at it from an iOS environment....
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post

That is a horrible, horrible justification.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I can't see it happening. Instead of opening RC you'll open the client. What makes you think it will have an impact?

Maybe I'm looking at it from an iOS environment....
That's the problem I don't want to be on client.

Unless there's plans to fix the font rendering and bring native-styled GUI elements (vPlusBlue is ****ing garbage) to the client. A client-based Scripted RC will always be inferior.

And how many good devs legitimately use client RC for developing? I've never encountered someone who uses it for anything more than editing flags or a minor edit on a script or a GP using it so they don't have to open external RC.

Why impose an inferior development environment on the last remaining good devs on this platform?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Era Staff
Meph is on a distinguished road
I personally prefer the external RC as well.

For some reason, the Client-RC causes me to lag whenever a message or echo flies through on RC.

Whenever I accidentally hit the F6 button on iEra, I have to reconnect, because it severely effects my FPS.

Also, I dislike how Client-RC displays everything.
Chat, Trades, Reports, etc. It all populates in the same box, and there's no way to isolate it.
I prefer the tabs on the external RC.

This may be something that could be adjusted on our server; but it's another huge turn-off with Client-RC as of right now.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:33 PM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
What makes you think it will have an impact?
It will affect every developer. I wouldn't trust an internal RC over fear of losing progress due to a disconnection (and it's not my connection, it's Graal). Say the server crashes, can the external RC even get online to start the NPC-Server?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Also, multi-tasking with scripted RC is near impossible. I usually have 8+ scripts open at any given time... has anyone tried to do that with scripted RC? Because of the way they're made you can't exactly pull the graal window over them... it's just a huge hassle.

Most of the problems come back to how poorly the GUI's are implemented in Graal, and all the scripting in the world isn't going to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
It will affect every developer. I wouldn't trust an internal RC over fear of losing progress due to a disconnection (and it's not my connection, it's Graal). Say the server crashes, can the external RC even get online to start the NPC-Server?
This is a very good point. I experience disconnections all the time... if I lost my progress every time this happened I would never get anything done.

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 09-23-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
That's the problem I don't want to be on client.

Unless there's plans to fix the font rendering and bring native-styled GUI elements (vPlusBlue is ****ing garbage) to the client. A client-based Scripted RC will always be inferior.

And how many good devs legitimately use client RC for developing? I've never encountered someone who uses it for anything more than editing flags or a minor edit on a script or a GP using it so they don't have to open external RC.

Why impose an inferior development environment on the last remaining good devs on this platform?
Agreed 100%
Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
backing this.

There are tons of people willing to put effort into building a new external rc, make an api or something available so we can create secure third-party rcs.

The lack of os native gui elements and terrible font rendering pretty much makes any scripted rc inferior in that regard.
+1

Tags
worst thing ever