Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I still don't see why there's no 'with' statement in GS3. It helps clean up code and is very useful in GUI Building and other object work.

I.e. How I've used it in GS2:

PHP Code:
temp.window addWindow("Example");
with (temp.window) {

this.title "Example Window";

with (addButton(this"Button")) {

}

with (addButton(this"Button2")) {

}
}

function 
addWindow(obj_id) {

temp.window = new GuiWindowCtrl(obj_id);
  return 
temp.window;
}

function 
addButton(parentobj_id) {

temp.button = new GuiButtonCtrl(obj_id);

parent.addcontrol(temp.button);
  return 
temp.button;

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1 View Post
but I would really like to see thorough documentation on this if other languages like Lua will not be used.
Even if he implemented Lua that isn't going to change the fact he still needs to document how the language works with and manipulates the Graal engine. A lot of GS2's current function usage isn't going to change that much in GS3 by the looks of it.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
I'm a bit of a PL nerd now rather than invested into a gscript codebase so I'm all for type system change for change's sake here.

I'm curious about first-class functions/closures, and what kind of polymorphism you're going to support. Also will there be generic user-defined types or is that only for dictionaries? Are you going for an llvm backend eventually?

Edit: Function-local type inference?

Edit: Also what happens when a gs2 script triggers a gs3 scripts and sends along arguments with the wrong types?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Also **** y'all, varname:type is the best syntax
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Babylon Co-Manager
Pandar has a spectacular aura aboutPandar has a spectacular aura about
...too easy.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
I think you should just use LuaJIT because it's fast, commonly used (More free developers for you!!). Whatever you make will be worse in every way.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hello Graalians,

We have just started the work on a new scripting project and want your ideas and feedback about it. The idea is to create new Graal Script version (GS3) which will make scripts faster and more fit for bigger projects.

Quote:
This first means some more work for scripters

Quote:
Scripts can run faster

Quote:
More reliable because it will complain when a variable has not been declared or is used incorrectly.

Quote:
We can possibly convert the scripts to other languages (C++, Javascript etc.)

Quote:
so it can possibly run in a browser in the future

Quote:
We are already working on a converter which helps to convert scripts from GS2 to GS3. So a lot of work will be lifted from the programmer, and you can also use this tool for testing how the new scripting will look like.

Quote:
existing scripts will still run, we don't force the new syntax and semantic, but it can be interesting for server-side logic and also new client-side code

Quote:
just add a //#GS3 line to your script to use the new syntax and semantic

Quote:
everything is still possible
Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
-Images-
This was my reaction in a nutshell minus the browser statement reaction image.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Somewhat rusty
I dunno how offline development would even work anymore with half your systems running on the server. It'd be great to be able to deploy completely isolated dev environments loclly so you could use stuff like decentralized source control without bending over backwards, and it's not like in tyool 2013 the npcserver is such a trade secret that it can't be integrated into the client. Lots of multiplayer games with a singleplayer mode basically ship the game mechanics if not the networking bits of their server in the client. shrug.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
I dunno how offline development would even work anymore
it won't ;[
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
it won't ;[
Yeah it wouldn't. A lot of things are now being done on serverside. For example if you tried taking GK offline, it would not work since most of it is serverside script and we do not have a NPC Server to use in combination to the level editor.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
I dunno how offline development would even work anymore with half your systems running on the server. It'd be great to be able to deploy completely isolated dev environments loclly so you could use stuff like decentralized source control without bending over backwards, and it's not like in tyool 2013 the npcserver is such a trade secret that it can't be integrated into the client. Lots of multiplayer games with a singleplayer mode basically ship the game mechanics if not the networking bits of their server in the client. shrug.
Just being able to do clientside would be good enough, in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Just being able to do clientside would be good enough, in my opinion.
Agreed. Scripting offline is mostly for newer developers attempting to learn the language, and I don't think most of us would've been here today if we didn't have access too it way back.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
We more think of making a better tool for level editing. It should support basic attributes (drawunderplayer, dontblock) and joining of a class, but scripting should be done on server-side, possibly via web-based tools.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
It should support basic attributes (drawunderplayer, dontblock) and joining of a class
And >8bit pngs?