Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 06:30 AM
i can haz gold plz
Dumdumdidi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minomato View Post
CoD4 stuff.

It doesn't have to be like the current sniper rifle. The sniper doesn't fit well with the bird's view gaming style, since it can be manipulated in many ways to get easy, cheap kills (hotkey + hover-and-click, jetpack + sniper running, etc.)

Snipers in FPS games have to be at the right angle to see an object, because their guns usually CAN'T shoot through walls, like cliffs or walls. However, bullets on Zone can go over objects and hit people behind them. (Player collision, but no bullet collision. Flies over tile like it wasn't a wall at all.) This makes it possible for people on the ground to shoot at a target on the ground, and on a higher/lower elevation at the same time, without having to be aligned to create a correct bullet path. However, when you have something like the sniper, which can be targeted accurately at someone and can fire the fastest possible bullet (instant damage, no chance of dodging unless already moving away from bullet prior to launch or misfire,) in a two-dimensional environment, it's too easy to use. The sniper scope pretty much allows you to look anywhere, no matter where you are in terms of elevation.

However, another accurate rifle, could instead project the user's view forward, like how the mortar does, and instead of clicking to fire, they would fire like a normal weapon. However, not only will the bullet deal a good amount of damage, but they may be able follow targets ahead of the wielder (upon exiting the barrel, not curving in mid-flight,) in the effect area. If the target was directly straight from the user, then the bullet would go straight on to hit them, without any spread. If they were slightly to the left or right, then it would exit the barrel heading in a straight line towards them, depending if they were the closest target, or not. However, if the target was too far from the straight/coned effect area, then the bullet would not fly towards the target at all-- it would simply go straight. The bullet will not hit its target instantly, like the sniper rifle, but instead, a quick, visible bullet will fire at the nearest target in the effect area. The further away you are, the easier it is to dodge the bullet, since you can just move, and the 'affected bullet' will simply go in it's direction without turning as the target moves. This is effective for taking out defensive positions, such as rocket launchers, chaingunners, and mortar cannons, for they are mostly stationary or slowly moving. However, the sniper can't see very well to their flanks, especially not behind them, so they must be weary to clear their position before preparing to snipe.

The sniper can either be a deployable weapon, like the mortar, or a normal weapon, both with enhanced frontal view. If it were deployable, it could function as a turret, able to rotate to keep enemies within the 'effect area' without moving constantly to align the effect area with the target. However, it would turn slowly, so that if the sniper was attacked from behind, they couldn't turn around and shoot their target before being killed. They'd have to unequip, turn, re-equip, or run. The deploying system makes the sniper weapon a bad choice for close quarters combat.

However, a mobile sniper would fair better in closer ranged combat, as they are able to move to fire. However, they could never obtain the true long-ranged accuracy of a fully-rotatable deployable sniper.

Both weapon types would have a very slow fire rate with high fire power.

Jeez, this reminds me of a weapon concept I was making, before the thread went dead- http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...07#post1391907

It was called the 'Sharp Rifle,' as in accurate or short for 'Sharpshooter'. The latest version of its graphic is this:
I dont think you have to write an essay over something as minor as this and not even coming to a conclusion. The redundancy of your post makes me wanna laugh.

Anyway, zeru, its quite a good effort
Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Gani and GFX Creator
Minomato is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumdumdidi View Post
I dont think you have to write an essay over something as minor as this and not even coming to a conclusion. The redundancy of your post makes me wanna laugh.

Anyway, zeru, its quite a good effort
This is hardly an essay; I am stating the possibilities of what such a weapon could be like. I didn't even have to post anything, but I felt as though my opinion would help to shape the weapon concept.

The fact that you are challenging my post, which is meant to only be of aid, makes me want to laugh.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
-----
darksage15 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This is becoming a pointless thread, since barely any actual admins who can add this weapon even come to this part of the thread, at least not that I know of since I've rarely seen any post here.

SN if you could close this thread that would be good, thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 PM
The Blackswan
pooper200000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pooper200000
Closed at thread creator's request.

Also a reminder to darksage and others, Dan views the graphics submissions. If there is an extremely well created image, Minomato will sometimes gani the image and upload it on debug. If Minomato and Dan do not notice an image, I make it a point to bring the image to their attention.

Don't think that because a thread doesn't get many posts that the images are not noticed.