Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
[Tutorial] How to create and save bodies

I've often tried to create bodies, even simple recolors or rips only to find that I just couldn't it to look correct. Colors would malfunction, transparency would never work, colors I did not want Graal to recolor would be replaced, and colors that I wanted to work with Graal's color system would not. It was baffling.

Opening up the default body images would lead you to believe that you would need to use a specific color index to create a body, but that's not true. Graal instead seems to rely on the palette table, and the order of which colors are on it. More specifically, the first seven color indexes of table are reserved for the default Graal coloring system:
0 : Outline
1 : Belt
2 : Transparency
3 : Shoes
4 : Sleeves
5 : Skin
6 : Coat
If you try to create a body that you don't want recolored, chances are you just paste your body image into your graphics program, index it and save. Then you try to use it and it's not transparent, and some of the colors are messed up. That's because when you index an image it assigns the used colors to a table, and since the colors your body uses are assigned to the first 7 indexes, Graal considers them able to be recolored. As you can also see, Graal uses a palette index for transparency rather than using traditional transparency.

I personally use Photoshop 6.0, so I will demonstrate how to work with your palette table in order to either use Graals recoloring system, or avoid it. I'll start with body.png.

Start by indexing your image like so:

What you want though is a custom palette:

From here you can do one of two things. If you want it to work like a traditional body, you can start assigning colors to the palette as mapped out above. Or if you don't want your body recolored, you will just be filling the first 7 boxes with filler colors that your body doesn't use. Regardless, the third color will always need to match the color you want to be transparent.

So first, what we'll be doing is assuming you want to use Graal's default body coloring system. Click on the first box, and then your mouse will change to the eyedropper if you hover over your image. This will allow you to easily select the color.

Okay, assuming you want to use your own colors, and not limit yourself to Graal's recoloring or 6 color limit, you'll instead be filling the palette with filler colors, like so:

Make sure you have seven boxes filled and with colors that aren't being used, or else it will still mess up. I used red for my purposes(#FF0000), as it was not used in my graphics at all. You don't need to bother indexing the rest of your colors, Photoshop will automatically assign them to the rest of the table.

When you're done, click OK and then save the image, and chances are it will work fine! Like I said though, I use Photoshop 6.0, newer versions may use a different setup, and I'm not sure about any other programs like Gimp. Chances are they allow you to customize the palette somehow.

Credits to the information I used go to someone I probably can't name on the forums.

edit: Someone has asked me can you combine the two methods and have say, a purple belt with a body that can change colors? YES. Simply color the belt purple for example, but in the palette table, the belt box should be a filler color like used in the second example. This will allow your belt to stay purple, while still allowing you to color other parts of the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bodytut1.PNG
Views:	21867
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	49937   Click image for larger version

Name:	bodytut2.PNG
Views:	17114
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	49938   Click image for larger version

Name:	bodytut3.PNG
Views:	20491
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	49939   Click image for larger version

Name:	bodytut4.PNG
Views:	24354
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	49940   Click image for larger version

Name:	bodytut5.PNG
Views:	16885
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	49941  

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 11-29-2009 at 07:11 PM..
Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Fantastic tutorial, I have never known how to do this. Reputation coming your way!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Expect some rep soon my boy.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
superannuated super mod
Sam is a glorious beacon of lightSam is a glorious beacon of lightSam is a glorious beacon of light
I've sticked this excellent work.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Such a great tutorial ! I knew how to do this myself (even if I barely make any bodies) but this tutorial is simply awesome. Can't see how someone wouldn't understand how to do this now.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Awesome, thanks Dusty. I've never been able to do this myself, that's a huge help. Rep ++ [edit: after I spread ]
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
gif2mng.exe /b bodyimage.png

Would fix the palette of bodyimage.png to work correctly on Graal, even adding transparency. Still, nice tutorial (:
Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Sorry but I have no idea what this means, could you give some instructions or something? I just drag the image into the exe file, but that doesn't seem to fix bodies, only heads.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Sorry but I have no idea what this means, could you give some instructions or something? I just drag the image into the exe file, but that doesn't seem to fix bodies, only heads.
Open up the Windows command line tool (cmd.exe), browse to the location of gif2mng.exe, make sure the body is in the same folder. Then, write and execute the following:
gif2mng.exe /b <INSERT_BODY_IMAGE>

"Fixes" the palette and adds transparency (doesn't work sometimes, I recommend a background color of #008000).
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Cool, I just tried it and it works fine. It isn't very flexible or user-friendly, but it seems quick and easy enough to do for basic bodies.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Would fix the palette of bodyimage.png to work correctly on Graal, even adding transparency. Still, nice tutorial (:
I've often always just dragged the image onto gif2mng, and never knew there were such parameters... at least they're not very well documented.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Ty!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Nice contribution, too bad I must spread some rep first.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Fantastic! Much effort used on this tutorial im sure.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
bump/revive..
anyone care to do a tutorial for Gimp or paint.net?
i can't get the transparency right, but the colors works'
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you